Elementary School Teacher Job Description Example, Duties, and Responsibilities
What Does An Elementary School Teacher Do?
An elementary school teacher is a person who develops lesson plan to teach students a wide range of subjects targeted at imparting knowledge in them and improving their intellectual capability in a school setting.
The job description of the elementary school teacher is to teach and enlighten students on various subjects such as Arithmetic, Reading, Science, Arts, Social and Vocational Studies in order for them to be knowledgeable in several aspects of life.
In order to ensure that the message is passed across to students effectively, elementary school teachers make use of educational tools for demonstration in teaching students for better understanding.
Part of their duties is to make learning fun and interesting, therefore, they develop other creative techniques such as quiz, debate, games etc to prevent Students from getting unusually bored during learning.
As part of measures to give students a complete learning experience, they schedule field work for students throughout the year in order for them to have firsthand knowledge and experience of things that are not found in the classroom but outside.
Passionate about making students more intellectually sound, they encourage these leaders of tomorrow to develop strong love and passion for learning and education by constantly advising them to take their studies seriously.
Elementary school teachers understand that all students do not have the same intellectual ability, and as such, reach out to students who are not doing so well in their schoolwork and work with them closely to help them improve and become better students.
Other roles of the position include inculcating unity and teamwork amongst students by placing them in groups during class work for them to get to know each other better, learn from one another, and get along even better.
Elementary School Teacher Job Description Example
Shown below is an example of the job description for the position of elementary school teacher. It contains a list of important duties, tasks, and responsibilities that individuals who hold the position usually carry out:
- Develop detailed lesson plan for each subject being taught to Students
- Give students home work to test how well they understand a particular topic they were taught and keep them busy after school
- Evaluate the comprehension ability of students through their performance in school work
- Observe students behavior in school to determine their emotional balance as it affects their academic performance
- Take attendance of students to know those who are present and those who are absent
- Keep records of students performances in class work and compile their grades at the end of every school term
- Watch students closely to ensure that they don’t indulge in any forms of rough play or activity that could cause harm to them
- Take disciplinary actions on students that behave badly and reward those who behave well
- Report unusual behavioral patterns observed in children to their parents and guardians
- Wait after school to ensure that all students leave the school environment safely.
Elementary School Teacher Resume
The job description sample shown above can also be used in preparing a resume needed for applying for the position.
To learn how to write a good resume that can win interview appointments for you, you can study the sample resume for the position provided here: Elementary School Teacher Resume Sample.
Requirements – Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities – for the Position of Elementary School Teacher
Below are key skills, knowledge, and abilities elementary school teachers should develop to be able to succeed on the job:
- Good communication skills
- Good organizational skills
- Good conflict resolution skills
- Ability to be patient
- Have good interpersonal skills
- Have good control of emotions
- Have good leadership skills.
Job Assessment Tests: How to Top Your Competition
As part of the hiring process, most applicants that passed the initial Resume/CV screening phase are required to pass an assessment test for the job or apprenticeship position they are applying for.
The goal of this phase is to determine if the candidate has the appropriate set of skills and qualities to excel on the job.
Find out the tests you will be needing to take for the position you are applying for; get lots of success proven Practice materials to prepare with now: Sure way to make high scores in job tests.