This post provides detailed information on the deli clerk job description, including key duties, tasks, and responsibilities that they commonly perform.
It also highlights the major requirements that applicants may be asked to meet to be hired for the deli clerk role.
What Does a Deli Clerk Do?
A deli clerk is responsible for taking orders from customers when they step into the deli counter and processing them. They will also serve those products to customers.
The deli clerk job description involves keeping the work area clean and organized at all times and ensuring all foods being sold in the store are fresh and have not exceeded their expiration date.
It also entails checking the quality of ingredients and food products before making them available to customers.
The deli clerk reads and understands the ingredients on food labels so that they can provide the customer with the right information.
It is also their duty to greet customers and advise them on available products.
The deli clerk is responsible for making sure that all food products are safe to consume, as well as checking expiration dates of food items.
Promoting customer satisfaction, such as preparing sandwiches and other foods products, keeping shelves free of expired goods and refilling product baskets is among their tasks.
The deli clerk work description also involves making sure that the store is clean at all times.
It also entails inspecting the work area and making sure all equipment are in good working order.
Deli clerks ensure that they have all materials needed to prepare food products; and they clean and organize work area in order to provide highest level of customer service.
They check expiration dates on food products and notify customers about those dates before making a sale.
Developing, maintaining, and improving food production procedures by following approved recipes, best practices or current industry standards to ensure optimal product quality, safety, consistency, and cost effectiveness is among their duties.
The deli clerk prepares food by using methods and processes that do not contaminate food or lead to food-borne illness.
It is also their responsibility to keep work area organized, clean, and sanitized at all times.
Deli Clerk Job Description Sample/Example/Template
The deli clerk job description consists of the following duties, tasks, and responsibilities:
- Takes order from customers
- Assists customers with products, food, and beverages
- Prepares food and beverages according to customer preferences
- Informs customers about the reserved products, food, and beverages
- Takes product inventory regularly to ensure there is no shortage of necessary products for service
- Learns about customer’s needs, tastes, and dislikes to improve the menu and variety of menu items available for the customer
- Operates cash registers and other office work machines, including computers related to maintaining shop operations, taking order or serving customers
- Maintains cleanliness in deli department, such as floor cleaning regularly, dusting fan, entrance, entryways , walls in restrooms
- Complies with management’s policies, procedures, regulations and guidelines on all types of work.
- Assists customers with placing orders, serving products and food and beverages
- Keeps order for customers during their stay in the store.
Deli Clerk Job Description for Resume
If you have worked before as a deli clerk or are presently working in that role and are making a new resume or CV, then you can create an impressive Professional Experience section for your resume by applying the sample deli clerk job description provided above.
You can highlight the duties and responsibilities you have carried out or are currently performing as a deli clerk in your resume’s Professional Experience by utilizing the ones provided in the above deli clerk job description template.
This will show to the recruiter/employer that you have been successful performing the deli clerk job, which can greatly boost your chances of being hired, especially if the new position that you are seeking requires someone with some deli clerk work experience.
Deli Clerk Requirements: Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities for Career Success
Here are important requirements that you may be asked to fulfill if you are seeking the deli clerk position:
- Possess basic math and writing skills, especially knowledge of English grammar and punctuation rules such as knowing how to use commas, apostrophes and semi-colons correctly
- Have a high school diploma or its equivalent educational qualification
- Possess good customer service skills and effective communication skills that will help you resolve customer complaints in as friendly a manner as possible while making them feel satisfied at the same time that they received the highest possible level of customer service from you as a deli clerk employee.
- work effectively as part of a team and on your own initiative when required to do so by your supervisor or manager, even if this means working overtime or evenings and weekends
- communicate effectively with customers, management, and colleagues both in writing and orally
- be at work on time and stay for the shifts allocated by employer without fail
- lift up to 50 pounds
- stand for long periods of time and the ability to perform repetitive tasks for long periods of time
- grasp a large amount of information quickly, analyze it logically and make decisions based on that analysis very quickly while working under pressure and in a fast-moving environment
- work independently and with a team
- meet tight deadlines, prioritize your work, and manage your time wisely so you can get the job done
- follow instructions from supervisors and managers very closely, even when this means dealing with customers who are angry and impatient.
E. Deli Clerk Salary
According to Glassdoor, the national average compensation for a deli clerk in the United States is $27,242 per year.
This post is helpful to individuals interested in the deli clerk career. They will be able to learn all they need to know about the duties and responsibilities typically performed by deli clerks, to decide if that is the job they want to do.
It is also useful to recruiters/employers in making a detailed job description for the deli clerk role in their organizations, for use in hiring competent individuals to the position.