This post provides detailed information on the data entry specialist job description, including the key duties, tasks, and responsibilities they commonly perform.
It also highlights the major requirements that you may be expected to perform as a data entry specialist by most recruiters/employers.
What Does a Data Entry Specialist Do?
A data entry specialist is responsible for entering data into the computer from various sources, such as printed forms from customers, bills and invoices, faxes and e mails.
The data entry specialist job description entails entering customer orders, names, addresses and other information into the computer.
It also involves verifying all the information supplied in the invoice or order form against those in the database to determine which records are missing or incorrect.
If any form of discrepancy is found between both sets of data, they are to be corrected before proceeding to the next step.
Data entry specialists ensure that all order details are correct so that the goods and services can be billed efficiently to customers.
If an error is found they insert a note on the invoice indicating what has been done to fix it.
The data entry specialist is also responsible for various reports, such as parcels delivered, lost and damaged, and invoices processed, among others.
They ensure that all details in the computer system are up-to-date. This is done by scanning paper documents daily for any discrepancies or new information that may need to be entered into the system.
Data entry specialists also ensure that all receipts issued are signed by customers.
They help process checks and credit card payments.
This includes checking the imprint on the check against the details in the system and validating it if found to be correct.
Data entry specialist has a duty of confidentiality and they are not allowed to freely share or release information that is valuable to a business.
This position ensures that any future updates on their systems are carried out accordingly.
The data entry specialist work description also involves ensuring that all the data on the database is accurate and up-to-date.
It also entails checking that all information in the database is consistent and accurate.
Keeping abreast with new technology that affects work flow, improvements, etc. is also one of the duties of the data entry specialist.
As part of their job, the data entry specialist may be required to participate in brainstorming sessions with other staff to come up with solutions to solve problems and maintain high quality service delivery by using technology effectively in every possible way.
This job involves extensive computer use and many frequent interruptions that could cause discomfort or stress if not handled well.
Data Entry Specialist Job Description Sample/Example/Template
The data entry specialist job description consists of the following tasks, duties, and responsibilities:
- Enters data in computer databases or maintains such records manually; resolves and answers data-related queries
- Prepares and maintains correspondence files, mailing lists, and reference directories
- Compiles, formats, sorts or routes correspondence as required by office procedures or management requests
- Operates word processing equipment to prepare correspondence, reports, manuals and other documents from word processing software programs; confirms document contents including spelling and formatting requirements before distributing copies for printing
- Types correspondence of a professional nature according to established style and format guidelines using word processing equipment; corrects errors using editing functions of software programs as needed; may produce sample letters for illustrative purposes only when general policy does not exist for specific situations
- May be required to perform data entry work during extended hours, weekends and holidays when needed
- Prepares and maintains data files for computer database according to established procedures; maintains accurate entries of customer, vendor and product information; coordinates the input, retrieval, storage and distribution of such information
- Answers or resolves customer service or technical questions concerning computer databases; ensures compliance with system policies on a regular basis; assists in correcting miscellaneous errors as assigned
- Interprets computer services policies and procedures; represents the company in situations requiring knowledge of computer hardware and software applications as needed
- Maintains current knowledge of computer hardware, software applications, and data entry industry practices; keeps informed of new applications and industry trends
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Data Entry Specialist Job Description for Resume
If you have worked before as a data entry specialist or are presently working in that role and are making a new resume, then you can create a compelling Professional Experience section for your resume by applying the sample data entry specialist job description above.
You can express the duties and responsibilities you have performed or are currently carrying out as a data entry specialist in your resume’s Professional Experience by utilizing the above data entry specialist job description template.
This will show that you have been effective performing the duties and responsibilities of a data entry specialist, which can greatly enhance your chances of being hired, especially if the new job that you are seeking requires someone with some data entry specialist work experience.
Data Entry Specialist Requirements: Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities for Career Success
If you are applying for the job of a data entry specialist, here are important requirements that you may be expected to fulfill to be hired for the data entry specialist role:
- Must be proficient in typing, computer operation, and data entry
- Possess strong attention to detail and excellent organizational skills, and ability to multi-task
- Excellent time management skills and ability to keep track of multiple projects simultaneously without falling behind on deadlines
- Ability to communicate effectively with coworkers and clients both verbally and written in the English language, using the information technology (IT) terminology used by the organization for which the employee works
- Must be able to meet deadlines in a timely manner
- Possess good personality and ability to communicate with clients and coworkers in a positive manner
- Ability to work long hours without complaining or becoming frustrated, and must be able to handle stressful situations without losing control of emotions
- Possess excellent technical skills in data entry (typing, word processing, database application qualities).
Data Entry Specialist Salary
According to Glassdoor, the national average compensation for a data entry specialist in the United States is $36,216 per year.
This post is helpful to individuals interested in the data entry specialist career. They will be able to learn all they need to know about the work data entry specialists do, to decide if that’s the job they want to do.
It is also useful to recruiters/employers in making a detailed job description for the data entry specialist position in their organizations.