This post provides detailed information on the CVS pharmacy technician job description and career, to help you learn the key duties and responsibilities they commonly perform.
It shows how to become a CVS pharmacy technician, the major requirements you need to fulfill to be hired, and the various job roles you can get into with a CVS pharmacy technician career.
Salary information and the benefits you can enjoy being a CVS pharmacy technician are also shared in this post.
Please, read on:
What Does a CVS Pharmacy Technician Do?
The CVS pharmacy technician job description entails answering customer questions and orders, searching for items and pricing them.
They are in charge of placing orders, bundling orders, and preparing shipment out of the store.
The CVS pharmacy technician answers the phone, stocks inventory, and ensures safe delivery of items to customers.
They maintain the store’s cleanliness, including keeping the floor free of debris and cleaning the products on display at all times.
The pharmacy technician at CVS helps with cashiering duties when necessary and performs any other tasks deemed necessary by the management team.
Following the store’s policies and procedures, maintaining a clean, organized work area in the store at all times, is an important part of their tasks.
It is the duty of the CVS pharmacy technician to maintain a neat appearance at all times and keep their work space well-organized.
Customers are able to contact the CVS pharmacy technician by phone, e-mail, or other means of communication when in need of assistance or questions about products or services sold by them.
They are also able to communicate with the other personnel within their stores, as well as with corporate personnel through regular communication channels.
More CVS Pharmacy Technician Job Description
The CVS pharmacy technician job description also entails reporting any suspicious or illegal items to management when found.
It also involves making sure that proper price tags are attached to each item.
They make sure that the proper payment methods are used when items are purchased.
The pharmacy technician is responsible for keeping the CVS pharmacy fully stocked with all necessary items at all times.
These include new products, prescription drugs, medical devices, and consumables.
Others are store supplies, such as paper, tissue, and other miscellaneous items.
A CVS pharmacy technician is responsible for processing returns, refunds, and exchanges.
They assist customers in finding the items they need, while making sure they maintain the store’s standard of cleanliness by keeping the floor free of debris.
It is their responsibilities to stock products on display at all times and perform other store related tasks.
They ensure that all products comply with governmental regulations regarding shipping restrictions, as well as other state and federal regulations.
CVS Pharmacy Technician Job Description Sample/Example/Template
The CVS pharmacy technician job description involves the following duties, tasks, and responsibilities:
- Answers the phone and greets customers
- Computes the price of prescriptions, receives payments, makes change, and writes receipts
- Gives customers information about CVS products and services
- Keeps prescription records and prepares reports of sales, refunds, and exchanges for management review
- Types and distributes prescription labels
- Selects and orders prescription drugs from drug manufacturers
- Keeps store clean and presentable
- Performs other duties as asked by the supervisor
- Prepares prescription records for the state pharmacy board on a regular basis. This includes counting prescriptions, filing records, and billing insurance companies. Others include filing monthly reports with the pharmacy board about overdue or unused prescriptions for certain drugs, such as narcotics and controlled substances under state guidelines
- Answers customer requests for refills of prescription medications
- Arranges and displays the pharmacy’s wares
- Prepares patients’ prescriptions, including change-of-address forms, side-effect forms, and patient information packets for patients who are new to the practice
- Prepares prescriptions in accordance with the pharmacist’s decision regarding the need for drug therapy, based on clinical assessment and patient presentation. This includes dosage selection and type of drug therapy, and directions for administration or use as required by state guidelines (e.g., intramuscular vs intravenous injection).
CVS Pharmacy Technician Job Description for Resume
If you have worked before as a CVS pharmacy technician or are currently working in that role and are making a new resume or CV, you can make a compelling Professional Experience section for your resume by applying the sample CVS pharmacy technician job description provided above.
You can highlight the duties and responsibilities that you performed as a CVS pharmacy technician in your resume’s Professional Experience, to show that you have been successful performing the role.
This can help boost the effectiveness of your resume to win you an interview with the recruiter/employer, especially if the new job that you are seeking requires some work experience as a CVS pharmacy technician.
CVS Pharmacy Technician Job Requirements: Skills, Abilities, and Knowledge for Career Success
If you are seeking to work as a pharmacy technician at CVS or other major pharmacy chains, here are requirements you might be expected to meet to be hired:
- Ability to write, read, and communicate well in English
- Must be able to communicate effectively with other employees and the customers in person, or via e-mail and telephone
- 18 years or more with ability to lift items of 50 pounds or more
- Be able to work during all shifts as well as weekends, holidays and evenings when required by management team
- Must have a valid Social Security card and driver’s license, and have a clean driving record
- Ability to maintain the stores clean and organized environment as well as store inventory at all times
- Must have the proper tools and chemicals required to help pharmacy technicians with transaction work-load
- Provide a valid working phone number or cell phone information, as well as access to email and instant messaging programs (e.g., Yahoo! Messenger, Skype) with the request of management team in case of an emergency or other situation requiring urgent attention from pharmacy technicians immediately contacting management team for further instructions on handling the situation
- Must be willing to work overtime, occasional weekends and/or holidays when required
- Ability to work in a safe and secure environment at all times
- Must have the ability to work well with customers as well as other pharmacy technicians while maintaining all store policies.
CVS Pharmacy Technician Salary
According to glassdoor.com, the annual total compensation for a CVS Pharmacy Technicians in the United States is $49,091, with an average salary of $33, 790.
The top cities with the highest average salaries include New York, NY, $35,976; Phoenix, AZ, $33,879; Orlando, FL, $32,769; Philadelphia, PA, $31,399, and Las Vegas, NV, $30.892.
CVS is the largest retail chain by store count and employs approximately 41,000 pharmacy technicians.
Women make up 63% of CVS Health total employees, while men make up 37%.
At CVS Health, the most common ethnicity is White (58%), followed by Hispanic or Latino (17%) and Black or African American (12%).
CVS Health employs 17% Hispanic or Latino workers.
CVS Health employs 12% of Black or African American people.
This post is helpful to individuals interested in becoming a pharmacy technician at CVS or other similar companies.
They will be able to learn all they need to know about the duties and responsibilities CVS pharmacy technicians perform, to decide if the career is right for them.
It is also useful to recruiters/employers in creating a detailed job description for the pharmacy technician role in their companies; they can apply the sample CVS pharmacy technician job description in doing so.
See: CVS Pharmacy Technician Career Opportunities