This post provides detailed information on the customer service specialist job description, including the key duties, tasks, and responsibilities they commonly perform.
It also highlights the major requirements you may be expected to fulfill to be hired for the customer service specialist role by most recruiters/employers.
What Does a Customer Service Specialist Do?
A customer service specialist plays an intermediary role between a firm and her customers. He/she will be the first port of call for a firm’s customers or guests.
The customer service specialist job description usually entails identifying the best line of action and directing customers’ queries to the appropriate department within the firm.
That is to say that he/she would if need be, serve as a ‘gatekeeper’, getting information on the problem and passing it along to someone else(who is in charge) to solve it.
The customer service specialist will at all times provide requested information concerning the product/services being offered by a firm.
He/she will solve the problem of customers in relation to the firm. Customer inquiries should be handled according to the firm’s policies and guidelines.
Customer Service specialists should be able to see things from the customer’s viewpoint and provide feedback to the customer(s) as at when due.
Their work description also involves making sure that the inquiry/complaint being made by the customer(s) hold water and must then do everything possible within their authority to make sure that the customer is satisfied at the end of every transaction .
The customer service specialist must be someone that communicates freely and fluently, and must also have an optimistic view of problems even in seemingly impossible situations.
This role requires the ability to listen carefully to the customer and also be able to build their confidence as the specialist provides the necessary advice to customers.
Selling a firm’s products/services may also be part of the duties of customer service specialists in some firms, even when the specialist is not part of the sales division/unit.
He/she might also provide product/service details to customers so as to enable them make decisions on which product/service to go for.
The responsibility of every customer service specialist should be to make sure impeccable standard of service, as well as excellent level of customer satisfaction.
Customer Service Specialist Job Description Example/Template
Customer service specialists perform various functions to ensure that their firm’s customers are satisfied with their product.
The following job description example highlights major tasks, duties, and responsibilities usually carried out by customer service specialists in most companies:
- Resolve customer complaints via phone, email, social media, or in person. This also entails answering incoming customer calls regarding payment issues, product problems, service questions, and general customer concerns
- Take payment and other important information such as addresses and phone numbers
- Suggest solutions when a product malfunctions
- Sell products and services if the need arises
- Inform customer of deals and promotions whenever they are available
- Update customer information in the customer service database as at when due
- Impact the company’s base line by problem solving and converting seemingly dissatisfied customers into frequent/consistent customers
- Work hand-in-hand with the management team to stay updated on product information and be informed of any changes in the firm’s policies
- Recommend potential products/services to top management via collation of customer information and analyzing customer needs
- Provide accurate, valid, and complete information by using the right procedures/system
- Follow the firm’s laid-down communication procedures, guidelines, and policies.
Requirements – Abilities, Skills, and Knowledge – for Customer Service Specialist Role
To be hired for the role of a customer service specialist in most companies, you may be expected to meet the following requirements:
- Excellent communication skills is a basic requirement for every good customer service officer/specialist
- Good knowledge of the firm’s product/service is also another very important attribute that every customer service personnel should have. This will enable him/her to give the customers detailed and accurate information about the firm’s product/service. This attribute is of great importance due to the fact that the specialist is the firm’s first port of call in attending to customers
- Ability to manage time limits. He/she should have the ability to beat deadlines or work within time constraints
- The customer service specialist should be patient with customers at all times. He/she should never see any customer as a distraction, but as the major reason for the job
- He/she should be very attentive when dealing with each customer; and also be able to sort for useful details in every inquiry/complaint that is being made by the customer, to enable effective problem solving and ultimately, customer satisfaction
- Good persuasion skill is another very important requirement that a customer service specialist must have. He/she must be tenacious and persuasive (not necessarily manipulative) when handling customers
- Professionalism is an integral skill that a good customer service officer must have. He/she must be able to carry out his/her responsibilities with no room for unwarranted sentiments
- He/she must have a proactive approach when it comes to problem solving, in a bid not to be caught unaware at any point in time, and also be able and willing to apologize and correct a mistake when one is made(not hiding behind excuses)
- Willingness to learn while on the job is an encompassing and crucial skill that a specialist of customer service must possess for easy cohesion and understanding
- 1-3 years working experience in a customer service role
- Knowledge of basic computer skills would be an added advantage
- Basic phone and social media etiquettes.
If you are an employer needing to hire for the position of customer service specialist, you will need a good description to get the best applicants for the job.
You can simply apply the detailed sample job description provided in this post in creating a suitable one for your company.
You will also find this post beneficial if you are interested in the customer service career. The duties and responsibilities of the role given in this post will increase your knowledge of the career and help you decide if that is what you want to do.