This post provides detailed information on the job description of a customer account manager, to help you learn the key duties, tasks, and responsibilities they commonly perform.
What Does a Customer Account Manager Do?
A customer account manager is responsible for overseeing the day-to-day account activities of a company’s customers.
His/her job description involves acting as the middle man between the company and the customer.
He/she is required to provide general relationship management, technical assistance, up selling, and customer support to the client.
The customer account manager will ensure that its company’s customers are satisfied with their business dealings with the company.
Most companies desire to keep their existing clients and make them happy always; this is more profitable than seeking new clients to replace former and displeased ones.
The customer account manager’s role includes helping the company in retaining its customers. He/she acts as the mouthpiece of the company to always keep the client happy and responsive.
His/her duty in the company pitches him/her close to the tent of the sales team and the two must work together towards maintaining good image of the company in the sight of the clients.
He/she ensures the products made available to the customers by the sales team are in line with their individual requirements.
Customer account managers need to have outgoing and positive attitude to enable them perform the task of satisfying the desires of the customer. Positive outlook is highly infectious and the client catches on it to the benefit of the business organization.
The tasks of the manager needs to be performed within stipulated period of time and failure to meet up can dent the company’s image in the sight of the client, which will not augur well for the company’s profit goals.
Other duties the manager is required to oversee include customer follow up, order processing, invoicing, and estimation of clients’ requirements.
He/she is equally required to provide assistance to clients on phone, oversee company’s projects from beginning to the end, and establish coordinates with company’s production team.
The customer account manager is expected to possess good organization ability, top level accuracy, and great attention to details if he/she is to succeed in his/her duties.
They are equally expected to be energetic and possess great personality, as well as winsome outlook on business.
Customer Account Manager Job Description Example/Sample/Template
The customer account manager is required by the employer to carry out certain tasks and duties in the organization and some of them are outlined in the job description example below:
- Relate with customers to understand what their specific needs are, so as to enable the company meet those needs
- Update and inform the production team and management about what clients expect, to enable the company meet up with its goal of providing top level customer satisfaction
- Strictly comply with the procedures and systems already outlined in standard operating manual of the company
- Provide required support for company’s operations as a very important team player
- Help identify prospective clients and link up with them on behalf of the company by developing and maintaining good relationship with them towards achieving the company’s business goals
- Consistently update the company’s mailing list to ensure constant communication with existing, as well as with prospective clients.
- Keep track of company’s sales and alert the concerned departments if sales volume decline below normal
- Intimate prospective and existing clients about the company’s products, soliciting for their patronage
- Organize and present community-based education and seminars to promote the company’s image to clients
- Execute pricing strategies, competitor analyses, and market assessments on behalf of the company
- Assess the company’s targets, opportunities, strengths and weaknesses and draw workable conclusions from such, towards re-positioning the company to confront and overcome new business challenges
Customer Account Manager Job Description for Resume
To prepare a good resume for the position of customer account manager, you need the right information in making the different sections of the resume.
To make the professional experience section of a resume for the job of manager of customer account, the sample job description shown above has the relevant information that can be used in creating the section.
Customer Account Manager Requirements: Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities for Career Success
Certain abilities, skills, and knowledge are required for individuals aspiring to work as managers responsible for customer account to have to be able to perform their tasks excellently, these requirements are highlighted below:
- College level education, including 2 years experience in sales related position
- Resounding experience in customer and sales services
- Good skills in general mathematics
- Excellent communication skills, both in verbal and written format
- Strong organizational skills
- Winsome sales attitude, and top level persuasive ability to improve on company’s sales and popularity
- Excellent interpersonal relationship
- Ability to easily identify what clients want, and willingness to meet up with such wants
- Ability to solve problems fast
- Possess computer literacy
- Willingness to work as team member
- Good attention to details and accuracy in service delivery
- Mental and physical stability to meet up with day-to-day business demands and responsibilities
Please notice that you can also use these skills in writing a resume for the customer account manager job, but of course, you must be sure you really have developed them before highlighting them in your resume.