Costco Cashier Assistant Job Description, Key Duties and Responsibilities
This post provides complete information on the job description of a Costco cashier assistant, to help you learn the work they do.
It highlights the key duties, tasks, and responsibilities that majorly constitute the Costco cashier assistant work description.
It also presents the major requirements individuals interested in the Costco cashier assistant position may be expected to meet to be hired.
Please, read on to increase your knowledge of the Costco cashier assistant career:
What Does a Costco Cashier Assistant Do?
A Costco cashier assistant is responsible for working collaboratively under the supervision of the cashier to assist customers in the store check-out process.
He/she is also saddled with the responsibility of ringing up sales, handling cash, and bagging items; requesting price checks, honoring coupons, and giving appropriate change.
The Costco cashier assistant job description involves handling customer cash transactions and overseeing the handling of cash, credit or debit cards, and checks, as well as utilizing electronic scanners and cash registers to collect payments.
A Costco cashier assistant is responsible for gathering and packing member orders into boxes and transferring items to a different cart for cashiers.
His/her duties also involve performing cleanups, cart retrieval, and merchandise restocking, and runs for items as assigned.
Some of the tasks that may also be executed by a Costco cashier assistant include selling products and ensuring a pleasant customer experience; responding to customer inquiries and counting the content of the cash register drawer.
One of the crucial tasks that are carried out by a Costco cashier assistant is to greet customers, which involves providing customers with a warm and friendly greeting when they arrive at the store since he/she is the first employee a customer sees when they walk into a store and must also act as the face of the business.
He/she is also saddled with the responsibility of carrying out the scanning of purchases whenever any customer is ready to pay for their merchandise, by bringing items to the checkout stand or cashier station and ensuring that items go through the point of sale (POS) system correctly, and that the correct price registers.
The cashier assistant at Costco also has to oversee and process every aspect of customer transactions, which involves totaling the amount owed and processing the cash.
It also involves checking or crediting card payment by counting back correct change and making sure that checks are filled out correctly.
It also entails demanding to examine the identification of a credit card purchase and ensuring that each customer gets a receipt for their transaction.
A Costco cashier assistant may also be required to answer customer questions about store hours, the location of the restroom, and handle any customer concern or complaint.
They are also to ensure that the presentation of the business is well-maintained by keeping work areas clean at all times.
To become a Costco cashier assistant, interested individuals are required to possess certain skills and qualities that are needed to boost efficiency and productivity in the process of executing the job duties.
Some of these required skills and qualities include excellent verbal and written communication skills, good numeracy skills, and excellent time management skills; good decision-making skills, cash handling skills, and profound ability to pay particular attention to detail.
Computer literacy, good customer service skills, and good organizational skills are also important requirements you must meet to work as a Costco cashier assistant.
In terms of academic qualifications, individuals who want to work in the Costco cashier assistant role are expected to have completed at least a High School diploma or GED.
Costco cashier assistant Salary: The average salary for a cashier assistant with Costco, according to Payscale, is $32,012 annually.
Costco Cashier Assistant Job Description Example/Sample/Template
The Costco cashier assistant job description consists of the duties, tasks, and responsibilities:
- Packing and bagging products based on customer requirements
- Ensuring that he/she follows cleaning and maintenance standards at the Costco store premises
- Providing individualized attention to every customer without delay
- Attending to phone calls with proper decorum and responding or reacting to queries professionally
- Providing assistance to other departments’ staff in Costco when necessary to ensure and enhance customer service
- Ensuring that the register area is always clean and organized
- Actively participating in Costco store promotional activities and other sales events
- Taking part in meetings and training programs required and designed by the company.
Costco Cashier Assistant Job Description for Resume
If you are writing a new resume or CV as someone who has worked before or are presently working in the role of a cashier assistant at Costco, you can create a compelling professional experience section for your resume by using the sample Costco cashier assistant job description sample above.
You can highlight the duties and responsibilities of the Costco cashier assistant in the above job description sample in the professional experience section of your new resume or CV.
This can help convince the recruiter/employer that you will be effective performing the new role, especially if the new position requires having some cashier assistant job experience.
Costco Cashier Assistant Requirements – Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities – for Career Success
If you are seeking the job of a cashier assistant at Costco or other similar companies, here are typical requirements you may be expected to meet:
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills to work cooperatively under the supervision of the cashier, to interact with customers and ensure that they all have a pleasant experience
- Good cash-handling skills, since monetary transactions are the core responsibility of a cashier and he/she must be able to make a payment and process it accurately and promptly
- Adequate product knowledge, as this will enable the cashier to give customers information about the products they want to purchase, and he/she will often be asked questions about the merchandise
- Ability to pay particular attention to detail, since he/she will be in charge of large sums of money and valuable merchandise, therefore, he or she must effectively monitor and maintain the cash register
- Computer literacy, as this will enable a cashier to operate relevant tools such as scanners, computers, and point of sale (POS) system
- Good customer service skills, since the job responsibility revolves around dealing directly with customers and ensuring that they have a pleasant experience when shopping
- Strong endurance skills, as he/she must possess the ability to work efficiently and effectively under pressure.
- Possess a minimum of High School diploma or GED.
This post is helpful to individuals interested in the cashier assistant career at Costco or other similar companies.
They will be able to learn all they need to know about the duties and responsibilities of the Costco cashier assistant and decide if that is the job they want to do.
It is also useful to recruiters/employers needing to create an effective job description for use in attracting the best candidates for the cashier assistant position they want to fill.
They can apply the Costco cashier assistant job description example on this page in creating a comprehensive description for the role.
Job Assessment Tests: How to Top Your Competition
As part of the hiring process, most applicants that passed the initial Resume/CV screening phase are required to pass an assessment test for the job or apprenticeship position they are applying for.
The goal of this phase is to determine if the candidate has the appropriate set of skills and qualities to excel on the job.
Find out the tests you will be needing to take for the position you are applying for; get lots of success proven Practice materials to prepare with now: Sure way to make high scores in job tests.