Costco Cashier Job Description, Key Duties and Responsibilities
This post provides exhaustive information on the job description of a Costco cashier, to help you learn what they do.
It highlights the key tasks, duties, and responsibilities that typically make up the Costco cashier work description.
It also presents the major requirements that you may be expected to meet if you are seeking the Costco cashier role.
Please, read on to improve your knowledge of the Costco cashier career:
What Does a Costco Cashier Do?
A Costco cashier is responsible for carrying out a variety of duties that are centered on the wants and needs of customers.
He/she is saddled with the responsibility of operating the point of sale (POS) software to process customer transactions, selling add-on items at the point of sale, and ensuring that he/she meets and exceeds customer expectations with top-notch service.
The Costco cashier is an essential team member in the Costco retail environment as he/she carries out tasks that range from handling money and ensuring that transactions are accurate and complete to balancing cash drawers and answering questions about products, policies, and services.
In other words, a cashier refers to a Costco employee who is responsible for operating a cash drawer by taking the orders of customers and overseeing the handling of store receipts and money.
A cashier at Costco, in the process of discharging his or her duties operating at the point of sale, must carry out a wide range of important tasks in his/her day-to-day activities.
One of the core tasks that is carried out by a Costco cashier is to greet customers since he/she is often the first and last employee that customers see, so he/she must ensure that customers always feel welcome and comfortable.
A Costco cashier is also saddled with the responsibility of facilitating transactions as customers would not be able to pay for their purchases and carry out their transactions without him/her.
He/she utilizes the point of sale (POS) software to process transactions as fast and efficiently as possible.
It is also highly important that a Costco cashier keeps track of sales data as this is very important in the Costco commission-based sales environment.
A Costco cashier also must give answers to any questions customers may have and this requires him/her to be as knowledgeable about products, as well as knowing enough to answer customer questions, and staying aware of current promotions.
A Costco cashier must also keep track of change and cash levels by paying strict attention to the number of bills and/or coins that are left after each transaction.
They are also to inform the proper personnel when a change order is needed.
To efficiently and effectively carry out his/her assigned duties and responsibilities, a Costco cashier is expected to possess certain skills and qualities.
These include basic math skills, well-developed verbal and written communication skills, excellent organizational skills, and good sales technique; strong technical skills and good time management skills.
Additionally, there are no formal educational requirements to work in the Costco cashier role.
However, an ideal candidate should have completed at least a High School program and awarded a diploma.
Costco cashier Salary: The average salary for a Costco cashier, according to Payscale, is $39,000 annually.
Costco Cashier Job Description Example/Sample/Template
The Costco cashier job description typically entails the following tasks, duties, and responsibilities:
- Welcoming customers and answering any questions or inquiries they may have
- Assisting customers when they try to locate items, as well as providing advice or recommendations
- Operating and ensuring the proper management and maintenance of scanners, scales, cash registers, and several other electronics
- Accepting payments and ensuring the accuracy of all prices and quantities, and also providing a receipt to every customer
- Packaging or wrapping purchases to ensure that they are transported safely
- Overseeing and handling the processing of refunds and exchanges, as well as resolving complaints
- Ensuring that workspace is always kept clean and well-maintained
- Monitoring transactions on balance sheets and reporting any discrepancies to the appropriate personnel
- Overseeing and handling merchandise, returns, and exchanges.
Costco Cashier Job Description for Resume
If you have worked before as a Costco cashier or are currently working in that role and are writing a new resume or CV, then you will need to include the professional experience you have had as a cashier with Costco.
That means, you need to add the professional or work experience section to your new resume/CV.
You can create this section by highlighting the major duties and responsibilities you have effectively performed or are performing as a Costco cashier.
This information can greatly help to convince the employer/recruiter that you will be effective on the new job, especially if the new position requires some work experience as a cashier with Costco or similar companies.
Costco Cashier Requirements – Skills, Abilities, Knowledge for Career Success
If you are seeking to work at Costco or a similar company as a cashier, the following are important requirements you may be asked to fulfill to be hired:
- Well-developed verbal and written communication skills, since a cashier must utilize his/her patience, personality, and professionalism to provide an excellent experience for every customer
- Basic math skills to effectively calculate prices and ensure accuracy when giving change
- Strong organizational skills to ensure that he/she keeps the cash register clean and organized
- Basic sales technique, as this will equip the cashier with the basic persuasion skills to convince customers to add on additional sale items displayed by the register
- Well-developed technical skills to be adept at navigating a POS system as well as handheld scanners
- Excellent time management skills, since a cashier is often required to disseminate his/her tasks within a specific time
- Ability to pay attention to detail and also handle transactions accurately and responsibly
- Successful completion of a High School program resulting in the award of a Diploma or its equivalent qualification.
This post is helpful to individuals interested in the cashier career with Costco or other similar companies to learn all they need to know about the duties and responsibilities of the job.
It is also useful to employers/recruiters needing to find and hire competent cashiers.
They can apply the sample Costco cashier job description provided above in making one for the companies for use in their hiring process.
Job Assessment Tests: How to Top Your Competition
As part of the hiring process, most applicants that passed the initial Resume/CV screening phase are required to pass an assessment test for the job or apprenticeship position they are applying for.
The goal of this phase is to determine if the candidate has the appropriate set of skills and qualities to excel on the job.
Find out the tests you will be needing to take for the position you are applying for; get lots of success proven Practice materials to prepare with now: Sure way to make high scores in job tests.