Commercial Cleaner Job Description, Duties and Responsibilities
This post provides detailed information on the job description of a commercial cleaner, to increase your knowledge of what they do.
It highlights the key duties, tasks, and responsibilities that commonly make up the commercial cleaner work description.
It also presents the major requirements that applicants for the commercial cleaner job are commonly expected to fulfill to be offered an interview or hired.
Please, read on to learn about the commercial cleaner career:
What Does a Commercial Cleaner Do?
A commercial cleaner is responsible for carrying out cleaning tasks such as dusting, washing, disinfecting, and restocking in an organization according to the standards that are set by the employer or management.
His/her job description entails performing several important duties which may include mopping floors in a large commercial building, cleaning restrooms, and ensuring that the necessary paper goods are replenished, and also removing trash and replacing the bags when and where necessary as required.
A lot of commercial businesses or organizations consist of various departments that carry out several duties and responsibilities, but the cleaner is one of the most crucial workers in an organization as he/she ensures that the organization is tidy, suitable, and ready for all transactions and the process of rendering services or products to clients.
A commercial cleaner can be said to be the unsung hero of an organization or business.
In other words, a commercial cleaner refers to an individual who is professionally saddled with the responsibility of contributing to the growth and customer retention of an organization or a commercial business by consistently providing quality cleaning and maintenance services.
It is also the duty of the commercial cleaner to ensure that he or she utilizes the organization’s cleaning checklist in order to perform all the standard tasks established by the organization, such as dusting furniture, equipment, partitions, walls, and so on, disinfecting and cleaning sinks, countertops, floors, toilet, mirrors, tables, chairs, microwaves, refrigerators, and so on in restrooms or kitchens, ensuring that supplies in the restrooms, break rooms, or kitchen are replenished, carefully sweeping, mopping, vacuuming, or hand scrubbing floors with the use of the necessary tools such as brooms, mops, and vacuum cleaners, and disposing trash and disposables into disposal areas.
The commercial cleaner work description also involves identifying all safety and maintenance issues and communicating them to clients, customers, staff, or management.
The role of a commercial cleaner requires interested individual to possess certain skills or attributes that can foster efficiency.
Some of these skills and attributes include good reasoning ability, the ability to approach and solve problems practically, sound oral and written communication and interpersonal skills, and good time management skills.
In terms of academic qualifications, becoming a commercial cleaner requires individuals to have acquired at least a High School Diploma.
Some employers prefer candidates who possess previous work experience in a service environment, but this is not a necessary requirement.
Commercial Cleaner Job Description Example/Sample/Template
Commercial cleaners perform various functions in ensuring a clean environment. Shown below is an example of the commercial cleaner job description, showing major tasks, duties, and responsibilities that define the role:
- Dusting, cleaning, and polishing furniture, fixtures, and fittings
- Applying necessary chemicals and solvents to surfaces in order to easily and effectively remove stain and dirt
- Complying with all safety policies and procedures that are related to carrying out cleaning tasks
- Carrying out cleaning duties with the aid of necessary equipment
- Taking and handling special requests for clients or customers as required appropriately
- Carrying out seasonal activities, including snow removal leaves raking, and fixing Christmas lights, placing the Christmas tree, and so on
- Executing general labor activities for special projects such as painting, furniture movement, and other assignments as required
- Carefully handling and operating all cleaning machinery according to protocol
- Ensuring the efficient operation of building freight elevators while also complying and adhering strictly to weight regulations
- Identifying and reporting all safety equipment maintenance issues to the supervisor or management.
Commercial Cleaner Job Description for Resume
If you have worked before as a commercial cleaner or are presently working in that role and are making a new resume for another position, you should have the professional or job experience section in your resume.
This section is necessary as it helps you to effectively inform the recruiter of the experience you have had working on the role that you are seeking or on a related position.
So, if previously working as a commercial cleaner is related to the position that you are seeking or is required by the recruiter, you can apply the duties and responsibilities highlighted for the commercial cleaner role in the sample job description above in making your resume’s professional experience section.
Commercial Cleaner Requirements – Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities for Career Success
If you are seeking to work as a commercial cleaner, you should be prepared to meet certain requirements from recruiters to be called up for an interview.
Most recruiters set specific requirements for applicants for the commercial cleaner role to meet to be hired so that they can find the best candidates who can effectively perform the obligations, purpose, and objectives of the commercial cleaner position that will be assigned to them.
Here are major commercial cleaner requirements you may be asked to meet if you are applying for the position:
- Adequate experience in rendering commercial cleaning services to customers, clients, or organizations
- Sound knowledge of janitorial activities and customer service practices
- Well-developed physical fitness which enables a commercial cleaner to move, walk, bend, pull, push, and lift heavy items, and to carry out other exercises effectively
- Sound oral and written communication and interpersonal skills, as a commercial cleaner is required to communicate with co-workers and customers in a polite manner while also reporting all issues to the supervisor or management
- Good time management and self-management and organizational skills which enable the cleaner to maintain his or her composure and carry out his or her cleaning and maintenance duty on time
- At least a High School Diploma in any field, most especially in the management discipline.
If you are a recruiter or HR manager needing to hire for the position of commercial cleaner in your company, you will need to inform prospective candidates of the duties and responsibilities associated with the role.
You can apply the above job description example to make the perfect description of the commercial cleaner role in your organization.
The information on this page is also helpful to individuals who are interested in getting into the commercial cleaner career, to learn about the job they do and be able to make informed decisions concerning their career choice.