Business Payroll Sales Representative Job Description Example
The business payroll sales representative is normally part of the sales force in a firm providing payroll services.
Their job description entails developing and implementing marketing plans to acquiring new customers, keeping old ones, and generally achieving and surpassing sales goals.
Payroll sales representatives work in a business to business environment where a lot of networking is needed to penetrate small to medium sized businesses and get their accounts.
The sales rep is expected to establish long-term business relationship with their company’s business partners and customers in order to obtaining referrals from them while also prospecting and acquiring new customers.
He/she should make it a priority to study and understand his/her customers’ businesses and payroll needs so as to tailor his/her company’s solution to the customers’ needs, thereby getting the customer to buy the solution.
The sales rep also passes information of customers’ payroll needs and business operation to the team responsible for installation.
The role of a business payroll sales rep involves a great deal of networking; therefore, the individual working in this role should be able to develop effective networking strategies.
These may include providing training and education to store managers, personal and business bankers, and business specialists on the benefits they would derive from using their companies’ payroll services.
A very important aspect of the job of payroll sales representatives is the understanding of how small to medium scale businesses operate.
This enables them to know who has the responsibility of making key decisions, especially relating to purchase of payroll services.
Business Payroll Sales Representative Job Description Example
The job description example below shows a list of duties, tasks, and responsibilities business payroll sales reps usually perform in most establishments where they work.
- Ensure sales of company’s payroll services designed specifically to meet the needs of small to medium scale businesses, as well as sales of bookkeeping and accounting services
- Establish and maintain good relationship with banks, CPA’s, insurance agents and other viable prospects
- Give presentations to both existing and prospective customers on company’s payroll services, relying on sound technical selling skills, as well as on deep product knowledge
- Work with management in developing annual marketing plan that highlights specific areas to focus on in meeting and surpassing sales targets for the year
- Offer all available incentives and take advantage of all opportunities to close sales with prospects, thereby building the firm’s market share
- Make sales by giving consultation to business owners and decision makers in organizations and recommending company’s payroll solutions that meet their business needs, with the benefits of the solutions well highlighted
- Establish and maintains a database of qualified leads obtained through emails, direct mails, telephone interactions, referrals, cold calls or physical meetings with business owners, and management approved networking strategy
- Participate in any way required in the implementation of company’s marketing plan and strategies
- Design business proposal to market company’s products, taking into account the major payroll problems faced by the client’s business, the effect of such issues on the business, and the solution which company’s products offer; ensure proposals are effectively presented to prospects
- Design innovative ways of sourcing for new clients, while ensuring great and continuous relationship with existing customers
- Identify and create result-oriented Centers of Influence Network with other sales professionals, including recruiters, in order to increase revenue
- Keep correct and detailed records of all activities relating to customer prospecting and sales in the assigned territory or location, such as sales calls, follow-up, closed sales, and presentations.
The job functions and other information in the above sample job description can be used in writing a resume for a vacant sales representative position to sell payroll products.
Requirements – Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities for the Business Payroll Sales Representative Position
To be considered for employment as a business payroll sales representative in most companies, you will be expected to possess the following skills, knowledge, abilities, and experience, which are believed to determine the success of the individual on the job:
- Three or more years experience as a sales person, preferably two or more years as an outside sales representative in a consultative business to business setting, or one or more years as a successful payroll sales rep
- Possess basic knowledge of accounting or banking and how they operate
- Experience dealing with and selling to small level to medium level businesses
- Possess high energy, success driven attitude, with proven ability to exceed sales goals
- Ability to work with technological tools and equipment and to adapt to changes in technology
- Articulate in communicating with business owners and managers over the phone, by email, and physical contact
- Strong ability to make effective presentations, and skills to negotiating deals
- Proven ability to prospect, add new leads, follow up, and close sales
- Possess strong self-confidence, perseverance, detailed-oriented, organizational skills, and strong will to go the extra mile to achieving set goals
- Excellent in using computer packages, including MS Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint, to creating proposals, presentations, and other documents needed for effective marketing.
Job Assessment Tests: How to Top Your Competition
As part of the hiring process, most applicants that passed the initial Resume/CV screening phase are required to pass an assessment test for the job or apprenticeship position they are applying for.
The goal of this phase is to determine if the candidate has the appropriate set of skills and qualities to excel on the job.
Find out the tests you will be needing to take for the position you are applying for; get lots of success proven Practice materials to prepare with now: Sure way to make high scores in job tests.