This post presents complete information on the job description of a business development manager, to boost your knowledge of the key duties, tasks, and responsibilities they perform.
What Does a Business Development Manager Do?
A business development manager is one who is responsible for his/her company’s growth.
His/her job description entails generating new concepts and ideas, as well as finding new business opportunities for his/her company.
A key component of the professional career of a business development manager is strategic planning. As such, he/ she ought to be acquainted with the market place and the competitors of his/her company.
The manager will work with the marketing and sales department. Together, they will make efforts at identifying new clients, reviewing contracts, and crafting potentials.
This position often requires an experience of between five to seven years.
As the business developer to an organization, the manager is to ensure and facilitate the growth of the company.
The key role for this position is carrying out strategic planning for the company’s future development, and looking for ways of expanding the company’s horizon.
A business development manager is the force behind generating new contacts and sales leads, and as such is an important personnel and highly prized in any company.
Unlike some other jobs where all they do is sit behind the desk, this position entails spending a lots of time visiting customers/clients.
There are two phases of business development that a developer is concerned with: the analytical preparation for growth opportunities; and the monitoring of its implementation.
Business Development Manager Job Description Example/Sample/Template
The following example of the job description of a business development manager shows the common duties, tasks, and responsibilities holders of the position usually carry out in most organizations:
- Responsible for developing the new business pipeline coming in to the company
- Set up and manage alliances and relationships with various third-party companies
- Perform analytical preparation for opportunities for potential growth for the management
- Create plan for employee training, motivating them for optimum performance in the duties
- Generate new contacts and sales leads for the company
- Acquire knowledge of the outside market and competitors of the company
- Leverage on various expertise in the company, including every intellectual property and existing technologies to expand the company’s influence; bringing into the market new products; services and business
- Identify sales leads and pitch offers to customers
- Maintain a good relationship with clients and new contacts
- Follow up of new and potential business opportunities
- Write specifications and proposals
- Organize training and workshop programs
Business Development Manger Job Description for Resume
When writing a resume for the position of business development manager, especially in completing the professional experience section of it, the sample job description presented above has the relevant information that can be used.
Business Development Manager Requirements: Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities for Career Success
There are certain vital qualities and skills that employers usually require from applicants for the post of manager for business development, here they are:
- Outstanding sales skills
- Analytical thinking: The business development manager must have the ability to analyze new business opportunities with potential, and then going ahead to pursue them
- A bachelor’s degree in any business related discipline
- Working experience in a related organization or field, such as sales and marketing can be an advantage
- Project management skills: The manager should have the ability to develop goals and implement procedures for their accomplishment
- Must have problem solving skills and be able to pay attention to details
- Networking skills: The ability to build and maintain relationships and contacts is a skill business developers must have
- Must possess a good business sense to be able to identify profitable business opportunities
- Marketing skills: The manager should be able to pitch goods and services to new clients
- IT/ computer skills: He/she should have the ability to work effectively with the computer system and other IT gadgets
- Organizational skills: He/she must be able to arrange his/her schedules and activities for efficient delivery of assignments
- Ability to meet up with deadlines despite the pressure of work
- Possess good communication skills
- Negotiation skills: Business developers should be able to dialogue with clients to arrive at a mutually beneficial outcome
- He/she must be someone of high integrity and honesty
- Possess the ability to be flexible and multi tasking
- Ability to communicate new product and its developments to prospective customers
- Creative thinking skill – The business development manager must have the ability to generate new ideas and concept that will boost the company’s success
- Planning skills: He/she must be able to plan and prioritize various activities and actions for the achievement of set goals
- People skills: The manager must be able to interact with clients and subordinates effectively and get them motivated to achieve company’s objectives
Help pass this content around: If you enjoyed our business development manager job description and skills sample, which can serve as a template in making job descriptions and resumes for the position, please share it with friends on your favorite social channel, many thanks!