Auto Detailer Job Description, Duties, and Responsibilities
What Does an Auto Detailer Do?
Auto detailers work in carwash shops, detailing shops, and auto dealerships providing deep cleaning of the exterior and interior of cars.
The auto detailer job description entails providing cleaning services that meet the specifications of clients and/or the company which they work for.
It involves tasks that range from simple ash and vacuum to more intensive cleaning jobs, including hand washing vehicles, steaming and deodorizing interiors, and applying protective agents to cars, polishes, and waxes.
The main duties of an auto detailer usually include washing the interior and exterior of the car to meet the customer’s expectations. This often involves using a vacuum and shampoo with a few interior tasks.
Detailers generally work under the supervision of a member of management for a specified period; he/she commonly perform assigned functions in standing position.
Auto Detailer Job Description Example/Sample/Template
Auto detailers perform different functions in ensuring customers’ cars thoroughly cleaned to specification.
The sample job description below shows major auto detailer duties, tasks, and responsibilities:
- Make use of various kinds of cleaning solutions and equipment
- Ensure vehicles are detailed according to the customer’s particular instructions
- Ensure carpets are shampooed and upholstery
- Conduct seats and floor Vacuums
- Vacuum and cleans the boot
- Clear out cup holders and ashtrays
- Perform leather and vinyl conditioning
- Clear out all dirt, rubbish, and debris from the interior of vehicles
- Make use of special washing powder and foams designed for particular microfibers
- Polish the steering wheel, dashboard, moldings, and trims inside the vehicle
- Clean dirt away from instrument panels and door frames
- Clean every bit of tar, dirt, and grease from the exterior of vehicles
- Ensure the exterior of vehicles are reconditioned
- Clean all glass on vehicles, inside and out, with the appropriate cleaning solution and rag
- Clean the vehicle mirrors with the right substance
- Ensure the engine is steamed
- Eliminate grease from the engine and other parts under the hood
- Buff and wax vehicles after washing
- Use special equipment and air compressors to dry the inside and outside surfaces
- Protect surfaces against stains and spots with the use of chemicals
- Use pumps and hose for washing and rinsing vehicles
- Dry floor mats
- Polish and clean wheel rims and make them sparkle
- Clean the tail lights, headlights and brake lights, making them brighter
- Fix minor chips and scratches with touch-up vehicle paint
- Manage inventory of cleaning supplies
- Keep a history of calls and customers when it might be time for another deal.
Auto Detailer Requirements – Skills, Abilities, and Knowledge for Career Success
When hiring for the auto detailer role, employers commonly give a set of requirements that applicants must possess to show that they will be able to effectively carry out the work description, including the obligations, purpose, and objectives of the position, and qualify for an interview.
To be considered for an auto detailer role, as well as to succeed on the job, here are major requirements to meet:
- A minimum of High School Diploma or its equivalent qualification
- Must be 18 or older
- A current driver’s license and clean driving record are often mandatory as well
- Willingness to attend seminars, workshops, and conferences to improve skills or knowledge
- Should possess exceptional customer service skills
- Ability to pay attention to detail
- Strong ability to work under intense pressure
- Must have excellent communication skills
- Have good interpersonal skills
- Excellent observational skills to pick out changes in patients behavior
- Be able to pay attention to details
- Must listen actively and exercise sound judgment
- Must possess critical thinking and problem-solving skills
- Possess physical fitness and stamina to work continually for long hours
- Should be good at multitasking and time management
- Have the ability to follow complex instructions without complications
- Should have the ability to manage material resources effectively and keep track of inventory of supplies
- Should have ample knowledge of safety precautions
- Understand the formulas needed to create the correct cleaning solutions
- Be able to operate cleaning equipment in a safe manner
- Must be able to use a non-judgmental approach to clients’ complaints.
If you are an employer looking to hire for the auto detailer role in your company, you can apply the job description sample and the information provided in this post in creating a detailed description of the position.
By providing prospective applicants a comprehensive description of the job, that highlights the duties and responsibilities successful candidates will perform in the role of an auto detailer at your company, you will be able to attract the best people for the position.
This post will also help individuals who are interested in the auto detailing career to learn all they need to know about the role, including the duties and responsibilities that characterize it, as well as the qualities they need to have to achieve success in their careers.
Did this article increase your knowledge of what auto detailers do? Please, leave a comment in the box below. And if you work as an auto detailer, you can also share what your job description entails.
Job Assessment Tests: How to Top Your Competition
As part of the hiring process, most applicants that passed the initial Resume/CV screening phase are required to pass an assessment test for the job or apprenticeship position they are applying for.
The goal of this phase is to determine if the candidate has the appropriate set of skills and qualities to excel on the job.
Find out the tests you will be needing to take for the position you are applying for; get lots of success proven Practice materials to prepare with now: Sure way to make high scores in job tests.