This post provides complete information on the job description of an accounting supervisor, to help you learn the work they do.
It highlights the key duties, tasks, and responsibilities that commonly make up the accounting supervisor work description.
Please, read on:
What Does an Accounting Supervisor Do?
An accounting supervisor is responsible for supervising general staff clerks and junior accounting personnel, and also for performing different kinds of accounting functions simultaneously.
The accounting supervisor’s duties, depending on the type of the company’s business, may also include directing or managing the activities of several other departments as well.
Generally, the supervisor’s resume would include several years’ experience in accounting, auditing or bookkeeping.
Experience as an accounting manager or accounting supervisor is usually not mandatory but preferred if leadership skills have been vividly demonstrated.
Since the success of a company depends on the management of its income and expenditures, this makes the accounting supervisor’s role significant.
He/she must communicate effectively with every other department that spends money and at the same time monitor their expenditures.
He/she is required to address any anomaly if budget guidelines are not followed and endeavour to reach a solution with the department head.
The resolution reached would keep the company’s spending on track whilst satisfying vendors and customers, and meeting contractual obligations.
To make the company profitable, the accounting supervisor would develop and incorporate operating procedures for individual department so that cash flow can be checked and efficiently tracked.
His/her job description also include overseeing budgets, profit, accounts receivable, accounts payable and loss statements, benefits, payroll and capital investments.
If there is any problem in any of these areas, the accounting supervisor would be responsible for investigating them and either collaborates with others who may have appropriate solutions to them or find a solution to them by him or herself.
Accounting Supervisor Job Description Example/Sample/Template
Here is an example of a typical accounting supervisor job description, showing a list of tasks, duties, and responsibilities that usually make up the day-to-day activities of the individual holding the position.
- Supervise every aspect of a company’s accounting function
- Develop accounting practices for general ledger for office use
- Evaluate industry’s and the organization’s practices on the process of capital assets depreciation
- Oversee data flow and the process between accounting systems cum sub-systems
- Consult on the efficiency and effectiveness of accounting process
- Review balance sheet, general ledger accounts, and income statement schedules
- Recommend improvement to general accounting activities so as to ensure compliance with governmental and organizational procedures and policies, and to also ensure the most efficient and effective operations
- Implement automation and process improvements to reduce redundancy
- Administer personnel-related functions and direct the work of general accountants
- In charge of supervising accounting professionals
- Oversee posting, verify, calculate and type duties to staff to perform
- Lead a larger part of the day to day operations of group
- Familiarize self with a variety of the work’s procedures and concepts
- Rely on judgment and extensive experience to accomplish goals
- Perform different types of tasks as required
- Direct and lead the work of others
- Typically report to a head of a unit, department head, or manager
- Develop global engineering forecasts and budgets
- Manage the accurate, reliable, and timely reporting for internal requirements
- Ensure compliance with required external and internal controls
- Oversee and monitor the corporate company engineering allocation process
- Provide metrics and specific reporting to senior management
- Assist in making key business decisions by providing special analysis
- Assist chiefs in understanding their financial results
- Train and supervise other accounting staff.
Accounting Supervisor Job Description for Resume
The job history section of the accounting supervisor’s resume can be prepared using the sample job description given above.
Accounting Supervisor Requirements: Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities for Career Success
Shown below are some requirements a prospective employer may demand that applicants for the accounting supervisor’s position should have:
- Graduate of four year accounting degree program or in related discipline
- Possession of CPA or MBA
- Three years or more of experience in generalist accounting or finance, with two years on supervisory position
- Proven ability to develop and train people on how to use financial spreadsheets
- Highly proficient with relational database accounting software, Yardi, MRI, and other popular accounting programs
- Highly proficient with Microsoft Excel package
- (CPA or MBA preferred)
- Strong team player with ability to interact with all levels of staff in the organization
- Strong ability to create systems for operational efficiency.