This post provides detailed information on the job description of an accounting associate, to help you learn what they do.
What Does an Accounting Associate Do?
The accounting associates’ duties involve providing assistance to top level auditors and accountants. They perform accounting, administrative, and bookkeeping duties.
Other functions they carry out include acquiring, processing, and registering customer invoices using various accounting software and systems.
The accounting associate executes the necessary bookkeeping tasks, such as data entry, reconciling of accounts, as well as preparing accounting reports and facts in accordance with enacted processes and guidelines.
An accounting associate’s role also includes collating monetary data and maintaining accounting journals.
In addition to this, the individual is expected to prepare invoices, statements of accounts, vouchers and other documents.
They communicate with clients and with various departments in the company to find solutions to outstanding payments and clarify accounting related issues, procedures and policies.
An accounting associate is expected to organize reports required by management and other governmental organizations.
Also included in this job description is the provision of assistance to clients by replying queries, providing information and ensuring befitting follow-up.
The accounting associate may be required to converse regularly with co-workers, supervisors, managers and other personnel.
Since the accounting associate handles numbers and intricate figures on a daily basis, employers often expect that the individual vying for this position must have completed at least a first degree in accounting or finance related courses, acquired from a reputable University while two to three years of experience in accounting will be an advantage.
Other important attributes required of an accounting associate include proficiency in managing projects, and in maintaining payable accounts and receivable ledgers.
Accounting Associate Job Description Example/Sample/Template
Here is a rundown of the obligations, tasks and duties which comprises the accounting associate’s job description:
- Manage cash with investment brokers and banks on a daily basis
- Validate accounts as well as bank certificates
- Collate accounts of staff, travel advances, and other expenses relating to entertainment and travel
- Give appraisal on all payment applications for appropriate authorization
- Process sales contract, reports on employee expense, information on salary, and organization time sheets
- Evaluate and update information and carry out validation of data for accuracy
- Ensure proper review of accounts for appropriate supervision of transactions, and for suitable placement to designated areas
- Supervise, track and post income, expenses and gifts
Accounting Associate Job Description for Resume
The job description sample shown above contains important information that can be used in writing the professional experience part of the resume for the position of accounting associate.
The stated job functions tell employers that the applicant is capable of holding the position.
Accounting Associate Requirements – Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities for Career Success
Accounting associates who want to be outstanding in their profession should endeavor to acquire the following:
- At least a University degree in Financial Accounting or other related courses
- Sufficient accounting work experience, especially in a corporate setting
- Possess excellent understanding of computer programs, such as Microsoft Access and Excel, as well as knowledge of general accounting theories and guidelines
- Strong familiarity with computerized accounting systems
- Ability to perform basic and higher mathematical calculations
- Ability to work as a team player and promote a cooperative work atmosphere
- Strong skills in performing data entry and word processing
- Strong ability in communicating with diverse groups of people both verbally and in writing without being understood
- Ability to create and present reports, as well as correspondence regularly
- Efficient in solving problems, and working with diverse variables.