This post provides complete information on the job description of a Walmart customer service associate, including the key duties, tasks, and responsibilities they typically perform.
What Does a Walmart Customer Service Associate Do?
A customer service associate at Walmart is responsible for dealing with complaints and compliments from customers.
The job description of the customer service associate at Walmart entails returning merchandise to their positions on the shelf, accepting exchange and returns of merchandise, making refund of money to customers, and ensuring that balance of cash is maintained.
The activation of phone cards and gift cards are also part of the duties of a Walmart customer service associate.
He/she also handles all requests made for money orders.
For an organization like Walmart with 10,800 stores in 27 countries across the world, the enormous increase and growth can largely be attributed to the various roles which customer service associates play in the company.
They ensure high degree of customer satisfaction, which is important to the growth of retail stores generally.
The success of retail stores is largely dependent on the ability to keep the customer coming back.
In achieving this very important aim, retail stores in quest for customer satisfaction hire customer service associates. The Walmart customer service associates are therefore responsible for ensuring the satisfaction of customers in their patronage of the store.
The work description usually handed to a newly hired customer service associate at Walmart consists of duties and responsibilities, including ensuring the proper operation of the store, investigating customers’ demand trend, and answering phone calls and questions from customers.
He/she will also be expected to handle both compliments and complaints of customers in a speedy manner.
The ideal personality for the job of customer service associate at Walmart must have good written and oral communications skills.
He/she must be friendly and not easily irritated by people’s attitude.
He/she must also have knowledge of retail store, particularly Walmart, and its operation.
He/she must be able to answer questions related to the store and the products offered for sales.
Walmart Customer Service Associate Job Description Example/Sample/Template
If you are looking for a job at Walmart as customer service associate, here is an example of the kind of job description you will likely be given; it shows typical duties, tasks, and responsibilities you will be expected to perform on the job:
- Ensure proper organization of the store
- Respond to customer complaints and questions
- Contribute to the customer service experience
- Educate and enlighten customers on product prices and details
- Address challenges according to policies of Walmart
- Handle issues of return, exchange, and refund
- Treat customers with courtesy
- Help customers with locating items
- Adhere to safety procedures in ensuring the security and safety of customers within the store
- Ensure total satisfaction of customers during their shopping experience
- Ensure neatness of the store at all times
- Respond professionally to compliments and complaints from customers
- Ensure displaced merchandise are returned to their positions on the shelf
- Maintain a balance cash drawer
- Activate phone cards and gift cards
- Handle request for money orders
- Respond to phone, emails, and post from customers
- Troubleshoot sales inquiries
- Deal with customers through the telephone, electronic means, and face to face
- Give quick response to customers’ inquiries
- Obtain all the necessary information to offer appropriate response to product and service inquiries
- Offer information on pricing and delivery
- Responsible for verification of customers and setting up of their accounts
- Responsible for processing forms, orders, applications, and requests made by customers
- Provide organized workflow to fit customer’s timeframe
- Channel request and unresolved queries to the necessary department
- Take record of interactions and transactions with customers
- Keep record of inquiries, questions, comments, suggestions, and complaints from customers
- Make preparation for, and distribution of customer activity report
- Create customer database
- Work hand-in-hand with other internal department staff to resolve customers’ complaints
- Offer training to newly hired customer service associates
- Offer view on the progress and challenges of the customer service department
- Understand the Walmart regulatory rules guiding a customer service associate
- Be abreast of all products and services of Walmart
- Identify areas for improvement in the operation of the store.
Walmart Customer Service Associate Requirements: Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities for Career Success
Customer service associates working at Walmart are usually required to possess the following skills and other attribute to be effective on their assignments:
- A diploma from High School, a degree in general education, or its equivalent
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of customer service
- Proficiency in computer application
- Proficiency in the use of modern technology
- Expertise in administrative procedures
- Proficiency in written and oral language application
- Good knowledge of products and services offered at Walmart
- Ability to listen attentively
- Proficiency in problem analysis and problem-solving techniques
- Attentiveness to details
- Customer satisfaction orientation
- Ability to collect data and order the collected data
- Ability to get along well with people
- Ability to keep and safeguard data
- Pre-employment tests: You may be required to take certain tests to confirm possessing relevant skills and aptitude for the job. Find out job assessment tests you may likely take before you are hired for the role.