Walgreens Assistant Manager Job Description, Key Duties and Responsibilities
This post provides complete information on the job description of the assistant manager’s role at Walgreens, to help you have in-depth understanding of what they do.
It highlights the major duties and responsibilities that commonly define the Walgreens assistant manager work description.
It also provides typical requirements you may be expected to meet to be hired at Walgreens or other similar companies for the position of an assistant manager.
Please, continue reading:
What is Walgreens?
Walgreens is one of the members of the Retail Pharmacy USA Division of Walgreens Boots Alliance, Inc. (Nasdaq: WBA), and is a global leader both in retail and wholesale pharmacy.
As one of America’s most adored pharmacy, beauty, and health companies, the purpose of Walgreens is to champion the health and wellbeing of every single community in America.
What does Walgreens Assistant Store Manager do?
The assistant manager works hand in hand with the general manager to develop key strategies to ensure success and maximum productivity at Walgreens.
They help the company prepare for the challenges that it may face through the implementation of developed strategies.
They ensure that the workforce of the company is highly motivated and very productive.
They develop company goals and objectives and ensure that they are met consistently.
They directly or indirectly act as leads to the entire management team in the company.
They also ensure total compliance to company rules and regulations.
The assistant manager’s role is key in Walgreens DC operation as it helps in driving operational excellence across distribution centers and in developing the leadership capabilities within the DC team.
The assistant manager must be a proven developer of people, who evaluates talent, allocates time and resources, and provides performance feedback; and also fosters development opportunities in order to support the planning process of the organization.
Walgreens Assistant Manager Job Description Example/Sample/Template
The Walgreens assistant manager job description typically consists of the following duties, tasks, and responsibilities:
- Ensure the success of assigned functions within a complex distribution center environment
- Work with the general manager to develop strategies and key objectives which would help maximize productivity and also leverage expenses for the distribution center
- Develop strategies that’ll help the company to be prepared for any business challenges, as well as the ever changing business trends; compare trends with forecasts frequently, to determine variances
- Regularly review the strategies and plans to ensure that changes in trends and forecasts are properly anticipated and prepared for
- Maintain high standards across all the distribution center’s functions
- Maintain a very productive, highly motivated, and very positive workforce
- Ensure that all performance successes are well shared and celebrated whilst ensuring that deficiencies in performance are also appropriately addressed
- Develop goals, set parameters, and allocate resources; and also establish very effective controls to achieve goals, budgets, standards, and KPIs
- Ensure operational excellence across all operations for the DC and the strict adherence to divisional processes and procedures
- Oversee equipment and entire facility; work to ensure that all components of the facility are properly functioning
- Create and maintain a very organized, safe, and clean workplace
- Ensure adequate and appropriate merchandise flow (timing and volume) in order to meet the needs of the store at the budgeted cost or below it
- Model, support, and ensure total compliance to operational standards, company values, culture, and beliefs
- Lead the entire management team, directly and indirectly, in the search for improvement opportunities, making use of the Lean Principles
- Provide an equal opportunity for everyone, including disabled people and veterans.
Walgreens Pharmacy Manager Job Description for Resume
You can make up the professional experience section of your resume or CV by using the assistant manager job description sample above if you are seeking a new job, having held or are currently holding the post of an assistant manager.
The duties and responsibilities shared in the Walgreens assistant manager job description above should be highlighted in your resume at the professional experience section so that recruiters will know that you are indeed capable of effectively carrying out your tasks.
This will definitely boost the effectiveness of your resume/CV to gain the assistant manager role or a higher one at Walgreens or other similar companies.
Walgreens Assistant Manager Requirements – Abilities, Skills, and Knowledge for Career Success
When recruiters want to hire assistant managers for Walgreens or other similar companies, there are certain requirements that they always look out for in every applicant.
These requirements prevent them from making mistakes in the recruitment process, and help them to choose only candidates who are qualified and can perform the tasks expected of an assistant manager.
Basic qualifications for Walgreens assistant manager position:
- Must possess a Bachelor’s degree and at least 4 years of experience in a high-paced operational role, which includes but not limited to distribution center, warehouse, fulfillment center, and supply chain management, or a High School Diploma/GED and at least a working experience of 7 years in a high-paced operational role, including but not restricted to distribution center, fulfillment center, warehouse, and supply chain management
- Experience in owning quality, efficiency KPIs, and in scheduling a large workforce
- Experience in leading teams and in facilitating cross-functional teams
- Experience in building and in maintaining cross-functional working relationships
- Experience in managing cost performance, in distribution execution, and in supply/demand forecasting
- At least an Intermediate level skill in Microsoft Excel (e.g. using SUM function, setting column width, setting borders, sorting, inserting charts, using text wrap, setting headers and footers, and/or print scaling)
- A basic skill level in Microsoft Word (for example, cutting and pasting, opening a document, aligning text, selecting font size and type, changing column width and margins, sorting, inserting pictures and dates, bullets, using find and replace, spell check, undo, tracking changes, review pane, and/or print functions)
- Must have at least 2 years of experience managing people directly, including hiring, motivating, developing, and directing people as they carry out their functions
- Must be willing to travel up to 10% of the time for business purposes (within and out of state)
- A business degree in Industrial/Engineering or Logistics
- At least an experience of 2 years working with automated systems (RF technology, conveyor, WMS, and sortation)
- Must possess at least 1 year of Lean experience in a logistics or manufacturing environment
- Should have an Intermediate level skill in Microsoft Access (e.g. creating and designing simple queries, adding dates, modifying data types, creating labels and/or working with required fields)
- Should have at least 2 years of experience developing, planning, and managing capital budgets and departmental expenses.
If you are interested in a career with Walgreens or similar companies as an assistant manager and want to learn about the role’s job description, then the information provided in this post will be useful to you.
Employers/recruiters in the same industry as Walgreens can also apply the sample Walgreens assistant manager job description provided on this page in making one for their company for use in finding and recruiting the best candidate for the person.