Technical Program Manager Job Description, Duties, and Responsibilities
What Does a Technical Program Manager Do?
A technical program manager is a person who heads the technical program department of an IT organization with the responsibility of developing solutions based on Information Technology, either for internal use by the organization and/or use by customers.
He/she is the person who his/her organization depends upon to provide technical solutions to help meet organizational goals and/or objectives.
Technical program managers may work for information technology organizations and companies with technical program departments, or as sole-proprietor or partner.
Their job description covers the creation of software solutions that help to produce new insights and opportunities for businesses from having a thorough understanding of their business objectives.
He/she is responsible for developing budgets for both the department and the technical programs being embarked upon.
A technical program manager is required to manage program budgets effectively; he/she sets standards that prospective employees of the department must meet before they may be employed.
His/her role entails delivering large technical programs; he/she develops a comprehensive plan for the creation of Information Technology solution/program, bearing in mind the overall delivery date.
He/she ensures constant and periodic reference to program plan(s) and will only permit a deviation upon evidence and reason-based argument.
He/she identifies individual components of a program in the light of their usefulness to the overall program.
The technical program manager’s work description also entails monitoring expenses at every stage of a project to ensure compliance with approved budgets.
He/she, together with the legal compliance team, ensure that the developed program is patented in order to protect the organization’s financial and intellectual property interests.
He/she also ensures that standards are not in any way compromised in the development of technical solutions.
Technical Program Manager Job Description Example/Sample/Template
Technical program managers perform various functions in leading the department to develop effective solutions that meet the organization and customers’ needs.
The major duties, tasks, and responsibilities of most technical program managers are shown in the job description example below:
- Make a case for individual project, as well as expenses to be incurred in carrying them out before the Board of Directors
- Develop a system that makes it efficient and effective to request for funds to meet both recurrent and capital expenditures, as well as to report incurred expenditures
- Suggest technical solutions to the needs of clients
- Build technical solutions to meet the needs of clients
- Liaise with clients and/or end-users on the stage of development of an ongoing program and/or the possibility of a deviation from the original plan
- Develop a schedule of work and deadlines for targets that will ultimately ensure achievement of the goals
- Review developed outputs in the light of the desire of clients, suitability for purpose, safety concerns, and legal concerns, especially as it affects the outputs uniqueness, etc;
- Defend the financial viability of projects to be embarked on
- Constantly review the set objectives for an ongoing program and/or the department
- Communicate with team members on the expected outcomes and any deviation encountered.
Requirements – Skills, Abilities, and Knowledge – For Technical Program Manager Role
To be hired as a manager in charge of technical programs in a company, you will need to possess certain skills, qualities, experience, and qualifications to be able to access the position with most employers.
Shown below are major requirements most recruiters will expect you to meet if you are seeking the job of a technical program manager:
- Possess excellent leadership and communication skills
- Proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office tools
- Proficiency in the use of Java and in software development
- Degree in Computer Science from a reputable institution
- Proficiency in the use of SQL and in Program Management
- Professional certification in Project Management is usually considered an advantage
- Excellent interpersonal skill
- Excellent critical thinking skill
- Ability to maintain a good relationship with clients.
You will find the sample job description for the position of a technical program manager provided in this post valuable if you are an employer or a human resource manager hiring for the role.
You will be able to generate a great description for the position in your company easily and quickly too by adjusting and making use of the content of this post to match your company’s culture; and that will improve your chances immensely of getting the best-qualified candidates to apply for the job.
Professionals, both new and experienced interested in a career in the field of technical program management will also find this post helpful in learning about the duties and responsibilities that characterize the position of the manager of technical program, who is responsible for ensuring that organizations develop bespoke information technology solutions that help develop the frontiers of their organizations and/or clients.
Did this article help improve your knowledge of what technical program managers do in the information and communication technology industry? Please, leave your thought in the comment box below. And if you work as a manager responsible for technical programs in your company, please share your job description too.
Job Assessment Tests: How to Top Your Competition
As part of the hiring process, most applicants that passed the initial Resume/CV screening phase are required to pass an assessment test for the job or apprenticeship position they are applying for.
The goal of this phase is to determine if the candidate has the appropriate set of skills and qualities to excel on the job.
Find out the tests you will be needing to take for the position you are applying for; get lots of success proven Practice materials to prepare with now: Sure way to make high scores in job tests.