This post provides detailed information on the supplier quality engineer job description, including the key duties, tasks, and responsibilities they commonly perform.
It also highlights the major requirements that you may be expected to fulfill to be hired for the supplier quality engineer role.
What Does a Supplier Quality Engineer Do?
The supplier quality engineer is responsible for handling and control of all supplier requirements that directly affect the quality of products during production.
This includes development, review, and approval of suppliers’ drawings, processes, specification conditions, and materials.
The supplier quality engineer job description involves ensuring suppliers are capable of providing parts that meet the company’s design requirements.
It also entails monitoring experience based factors that may influence the ability of a supplier to carry out their tasks correctly and ensuring compliance with the agreement.
It is the duty of the supplier quality engineer to review products from suppliers in order to determine compliance with the agreements and customer requirements.
They determine the level of supplier assurance required and verify that an adequate process has been put in place to achieve this.
This position coordinates with all aspects of production, including research and development, manufacturing, sales and service departments to plan for product changes in a timely manner so as to minimize variations.
The supplier quality engineer is responsible for the development and enforcement of supplier quality plan.
They make sure that all suppliers’ performance is continuously monitored and evaluated using appropriate data and statistical tools.
Ensuring that all suppliers are appropriately rated, reviewed and updated by management is one of their key duties
The supplier quality engineer work description also involves identifying the need to seek alternative suppliers and assisting in developing strategies to obtain alternative sources of supply when necessary.
It also entails developing new or revised standards as required to meet particular customer needs or to cover new product designs or processes.
Supplier quality engineers also provide expert technical advice and guidance to management, the production department, and other internal customers on product or process quality matters.
They give comprehensive reviews of all potential suppliers to ensure that the required standard has been met before approval is given.
It is also the responsibility of the supplier quality engineer to coordinate with other departments to ensure that all necessary documentation is present before approval can be granted to any new supplier.
Conducting audits at supplier facilities and reviewing product samples is another duty commonly carried out by the supplier quality engineer.
Supplier Quality Engineer Job Description Sample/Example/Template
The supplier quality engineer job description consists of the following duties, tasks, and responsibilities:
- Handles and manages quality related technical issues from specifications to timely delivery
- Develops, implements, and operates QA program to ensure product quality at all stages of product development, including design, manufacturing, assembly, inspection, and testing
- Provides training to staff/team members on quality management practices/processes
- Develops and recommends improved processes based on latest project information
- Identifies quality deficiencies. Consulting with project team members and suppliers on the causes of problems in product quality
- Ensures compliance with company’s QA process: DRG – trouble tickets are issued if they are necessary to improve the system
- Reviews and approves pending documentation before release, i.e. drawings, test reports
- Ensures that the issues raised by suppliers are addressed in a timely manner
- Prepares internal and external audits
- Analyzes test data to determine strengths and weaknesses of current product quality
- Ensures that the improvement is implemented in time for the next build period
- Analyzes test data to identify the root cause of problems
- Prepares reports to management that are simple, clear, and concise
- Reviews in house and supplier audit reports and action plans
- Coordinates with manufacturer/suppliers on improvement actions to control quality problems
- Identifies possible improvements in material handling operations
- Prepares 15% of total revenue budget for QA as part of QA team cost model.
Supplier Quality Engineer Job Description for Resume
If you are making a new resume or CV as someone who has worked before as a supplier quality engineer or presently working in that role, then you can make a compelling Professional Experience for your resume by utilizing the sample supplier quality engineer job description provided above.
You can express the duties and responsibilities you have carried out as a supplier quality engineer in your resume’s Professional Experience by applying the ones in the above job description example.
This will show to the recruiter/employer that you have been successful performing the job of a supplier quality engineer, which can boost your chances of being hired, especially if the new job requires someone with some supplier quality engineer work experience.
Supplier Quality Engineer Requirements: Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities for Career Success
If you are applying for the supplier quality engineer role, then here are important requirements you may be expected to meet to be hire:
- Must have a minimum experience of 10 years in quality and related jobs
- Should have a degree in engineering or related discipline
- Good knowledge and understanding of manufacturing processes
- Should have an in-depth knowledge of all quality processes tools (ASQC, BSC, ISO 9000)
- Must be able to plan, organize, and facilitate quality activities
- Ability to maintain project schedules with effectiveness by resolving potential bottlenecks
- Strong organizational skills
- Technical skills required are primarily for technical/scientific disciplines, such as computer science, mathematics, physics, statistics
- People management skills are a must
- Analytical skills and should be able to accurately assess product quality
- Should be familiar with the manufacturing processes and their effect on product quality
- Ability to think strategically and work independently; fast learner and an excellent communicator
- Must be able to plan and organize activities, develop solutions based on facts, and utilize resources effectively
- Ability to interact effectively with customers, internal departments, vendors for effective resolution of problems
- Must be able to actively participate in new product development/improvement activities
Supplier Quality Engineer Salary
According to Glassdoor, the projected total compensation for a supplier quality engineer in the United States is $97,025 per year, with an average income of $72,992.
The supplier quality engineer is a very difficult role and needs highly skilled individuals to cope with the many technical aspects of the job.
As you can see, this role requires strong knowledge of all technical disciplines as well as an ability to think strategically.
One must also be able to prioritize effectively and meet deadlines. This job requires excellent people skills, particularly listening skills and the ability to communicate clearly.
This post is helpful to individuals who are interested in the supplier quality engineer career. They will be able to learn all they need to know about the supplier quality engineer duties and responsibilities.
It is also useful to recruiters/employers in making a detailed job description for the supplier quality engineer position in their companies.