This post provides detailed information on the shoe sales associate job description, including the key duties, tasks, and responsibilities they commonly perform.
It also highlights the major requirements you may be expected to fulfill to be hired for the shoe sales associate role.
What Does a Shoe Sales Associate Do?
Shoe sales associates are responsible for ensuring a solid customer base for their companies by maintaining existing relationships with company’s customers while developing new ones.
The shoe sales associate job description cuts across various functions, including customer service, cashiering, and store operations; merchandising, and signing up of new Rewards members.
They are responsible for implementing their company’s customer service policies on a daily basis and ensuring that clients are attended to before any task.
Sales associates at a shoe store is responsible for actively seeking out customers, and after finding out their needs provides them with the assistance that they need in a most friendly way.
He/she must be of the best attitude when handling customers, greeting every client in a friendly and helpful way. He/she reads customer cues to ensure service levels match with their expectations.
The shoe sales associate’s role also involves explaining the store’s running programs, such as Rewards program, clearly to customers, including the benefits to be derived.
It also entails answering customers’ questions regarding merchandise and directing them to the right place at the store where they will get the kind of shoes they are looking for.
He/she also performs cash handling and cashiering duties, which include adhering to the company’s policies and procedures regarding register and cash handling in ringing up customers’ transactions.
He/she may also be responsible for counting money, giving the right change, and issuing receipts after verifying the amount paid by the customer.
Operating a calculator, reading and interpreting price ticket information, and entering data through terminal keyboard may also be part of a shoe sales associate’s work description.
His/her tasks also include store operations that ensure the store is always clean and organized. Specifically, he/she picks up trash from the aisles; bring back shoes to where they belong following company standards, and carrying out cleaning of the restrooms and the associate break room.
Other housekeeping duties the sales associate working at a shoe store may perform include vacuuming the store and ensuring the store’s front walkway/stoop and mirrors are properly cleaned.
His/her work also involves unloading merchandise from trucks and placing them on the sales floor following company standard procedures.
He/she is responsible for organizing and maintaining the stockroom, filling accessories, maintaining clearance area standards, and completing markdowns.
Shoe Sales Associate Job Description Example/Sample/Template
Shoe sales associates perform various functions in ensuring their companies maintain and grow their customer base consistently.
Shown below is a job description example, highlighting typical shoe sales associates’ tasks, duties, and responsibilities:
- Serve as company shoe ambassador and meet departmental goals
- Provide support for sales goals by helping to identify trends in sell-thru, style replenishment, product needs and best sellers, and stock rotation
- Promote sell thru by providing each customer with multiple options
- Reflect company’s brand image and standards by adhering to standards and training guidelines
- Sell other company products in addition to shoes, such as apparel, whenever the opportunity presents itself
- Act as the store resources and authority on company shoe product knowledge
- Collaborate with back of house team and management to determine size and style needs of customers to support sell thru
- Observe selling ceremony and share the knowledge, in addition to product knowledge with the sales team for them to be able to give customers an amazing experience
- Provide sales team with knowledge of current inventory of shoes for them to be able to implement up selling and link selling strategies
- Create and keep an updated book on clients and strive to develop customer loyalty by actively engaging them
- Cultivate customers by sending relationship and courtesy emails, reactivating customers’ membership, capturing compliance, inviting customers back to store, etc.
- Make sure selling floor is continually replenished and ready for customers all through the day
- Ensure shoes are well displayed to enhance sales and deliveries
- Ensure presence on the sales floor and busy at all times
- Ensure maintenance and tidiness of fitting rooms, and that merchandise is quickly replenished after selling it
- Apply visual techniques in ensuring store maintains the required company visual standards
- Ensure shoe stock is efficiently organized to support the department by partnering with the back of house team
- Provide assistance in the bi-annual inventory and mark down processes
- Take part in the pre-sale goals and achieve them.
Requirements – Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities – for Shoe Sales Associate Role
When hiring for the shoe sales associate role, employers will generally want to attract the best candidates for the job.
They achieve this by publishing a list of requirements interested persons should possess to be qualified for an interview.
Shown below are common requirements to expect from most recruiters for the shoe sales associate position:
- Selling experience with a shoe company
- Solid background engaging with customers with record/experience of driving sales and achieving sales targets
- Strong ability working in a fast-paced team environment
- Strong interpersonal and communication (verbal and written) skills to effectively and clearly communicate with management, staff, and all customers
- Strong ability to consistently project self motivation and positive attitude to succeed in all tasks assigned
- Results driven individual with the ability to work on flexible schedules
- Strong ability to display respect, friendship, and professionalism to customers; strong customer service skills
- Proficient in the use of Tablet, iPad, registers and other technologies in managing customer transactions
- Strong ability to operate a terminal keyboard and calculator
- Strong ability to read, understand, and interpret information regarding price ticket
- Strong physical fitness to stand or walk around the storeroom, sales floor, and the register area for almost the whole of work time
- Ability to lift items weighing up to 50 pounds occasionally and frequently.
If you are an employer needing to hire for the shoe sales associate role, you can apply the sample job description and information on this post to make a detailed description of the job in your company.
With a good description of the position, you will be able to attract the best qualified sales associates to your job offer, which will increase your chances of making the best pick for the role.
This post will also help individuals interested in working as sales associates at a shoe company to learn about the career and be able to make up their minds if that is the kind of job they want to do.