Secret Service Special Agent Job Description, Key Duties and Responsibilities
This post provides exhaustive information on the job description of a secret service special agent, to help you learn the work that they do.
It highlights the tasks, duties, and responsibilities that commonly make up the secret service special agent work description.
It also presents the major requirements individuals seeking the job of a secret service special agent may be expected to meet to be hired by recruiters/employers.
Please, continue reading to increase your knowledge of the secret service special agent career:
What Does a Secret Service Special Agent Do?
A secret service special agent refers to a specially trained professional individual hired by the United States Secret Service and is saddled with the responsibility of carrying out its integrated missions of investigation and protection.
He/she is responsible for investigating a violation of laws that are related to financial crimes such as credit card and access device fraud, as well as computer-based attacks on the United States’ banking and telecommunication.
A secret service special agent is also saddled with the responsibility of conducting criminal investigations and protecting the nation’s leaders, their families, and visiting heads of state or government.
In other words, a secret service special agent refers to a high caliber professional who is responsible for developing and implementing strategies to mitigate threats to the leaders of his/ her country, the United States.
One of the core tasks that may be assigned to a secret service special agent is to provide security for government figures such as the President, the Vice President, and former presidents, as well as their families.
He/she may also be required to protect buildings or act as security at events that demand a national level of protection.
Another important duty that is carried out by secret service special agents is to investigate crimes, which may include identity theft, counterfeit, and financial fraud.
He/she may also be saddled with the responsibility of investigating computer hacking attempts that take place on national telecommunication devices as well as on banking infrastructure.
Depending on the kind of task assigned to him or her, a secret service special agent may also be required to perform undercover work and also write and submit reports that are related to investigations or protection services.
To become a secret service special agent, some of the skills and qualities you will be expected to meet include being a U.S citizen, a valid driver’s license, and uncorrected vision; excellent health and physical condition, pass in a written examination, and pass an Applicant Physical Abilities Test.
Others are excellent verbal and written communication skills, strong physical endurance skills, and excellent decision-making skills; good research skills, well-developed investigative skills, and excellent time management skills.
In terms of academic qualifications, the job role/position of a secret service special agent requires the ideal candidate to possess a Bachelor’s degree as well as several years of professional and proven-work experience in any job position.
Secret Service Special Agent Salary: According to Glassdoor, the average salary for a secret service special agent is $144,424 annually.
Secret Service Special Agent Job Description Example/Sample/Template
Secret service special agents perform the responsibilities:
- Protecting government and important national figures such as the President, Vice President, former presidents, as well as their families
- Frequently traveling to a variety of duty stations as assigned by the United States Secret Service
- Investigating the violation of laws that are related to financial crimes such as credit card and access device fraud
- Thoroughly investigating computer hacking attempts that have occurred on national telecommunication devices as well as banking infrastructure
- Guarding buildings and/or acting as security at events that demand a national level of protection
- Performing undercover work when required
- Complying strictly with the United States Secret Service regulations, guidelines, and/or policies
- Writing reports that are related to investigations and/or protection services and delivering them to the necessary personnel.
Secret Service Special Agent Job Description for Resume
If you are writing a new resume or CV and have previously worked in the position of secret service special agent or are presently working in that role, it will be a boost to your resume/CV to include the professional experience section to it.
With the professional experience section, you will be able to show that you have been successful performing the secret service special agent duties and responsibilities.
By reading this piece of information in your resume/CV, employers/recruiters will be more likely to offer you an interview appointment, especially if the new job that you are seeking requires having some secret service special agent work experience.
You can make an effective professional experience section for your resume/CV by applying the secret service special agent job description example above.
Secret Service Special Agent Requirements – Skills, Knowledge, Abilities for Career Success
If you are seeking to work as a secret service special agent, here are major requirements you may be expected to fulfill:
- Must be a United States Citizenship, since only citizens of the United States are permitted to work as a secret service special agent
- Being between the ages of 21 and 37, as directed by the United States Secret Service
- Possession of a valid driver’s license
- Possession of an uncorrected vision no worse than 20/100 binocular, correctible to 20/20 in each eye, or the willingness to receive Lasik eye surgery
- Excellent health and physical condition, since the job role/position of a secret service special agent involves frequent movement from one place to another even in harsh weather conditions
- Well-developed investigative skills, since a secret service special agent will be required to investigate crimes and violation of laws
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, since he or she must be able to interact efficiently and effectively and also work cooperatively as part of a tactical team
- A Bachelor’s degree with 3.0 or higher grade point average.
This post is helpful to individuals interested in the secret service special agent career. They will be able to increase their knowledge of the duties and responsibilities that make up the secret service special agent job.
This will make them to be able to decide correctly if the secret service special agent career is best for them.
Job Assessment Tests: How to Top Your Competition
As part of the hiring process, most applicants that passed the initial Resume/CV screening phase are required to pass an assessment test for the job or apprenticeship position they are applying for.
The goal of this phase is to determine if the candidate has the appropriate set of skills and qualities to excel on the job.
Find out the tests you will be needing to take for the position you are applying for; get lots of success proven Practice materials to prepare with now: Sure way to make high scores in job tests.