Roofer Job Description, Key Duties and Responsibilities
This post provides exhaustive information on the job description of a roofer, to help you learn the work they do.
It presents the key duties, tasks, and responsibilities that commonly make up the roofer work description.
It also presents the requirements you will need to meet to be considered for the roofer role by most recruiters.
Please, continue reading to increase your knowledge of the roofer career:
What Does a Roofer Do?
A roofer is responsible for repairing, replacing, and installing roofs on residential homes or commercial buildings.
His/her job description entails repairing roof leaks and the installation of tile, shingle, and coated roofing systems.
A roofer may also work under the supervision of other experienced and specialized roofers to learn the processes involved in finding the source of a leak in a roof.
A roofer is also saddled with the responsibility of inspecting roofs to determine what the problem is and also determine the best repair procedures, or inspecting worksites to determine condition or necessary repairs if he/she is working on a construction project.
He/she is responsible for carrying out several important daily tasks which include performing roof pre-inspections, which involves inspecting a roof before he/she begins a job to determine the best repair or replacement procedure to apply.
He/she must also inspect work areas to ensure that all required tools and equipment are present.
Another duty that commonly makes up the roofer work description is measuring and cutting project materials to ensure that any material used is properly trimmed appropriately to tightly fit along the edges of the roof.
A roofer must have the skill to alter materials as required.
He/she also carries out the primary duty of installing roofing materials, which involves constructing a weatherproof roof by installing materials such as shingles and asphalt.
During the process of installing roofing materials, the roofer replaces any area of the roof that is damaged or rotten.
During the installation of roofing materials, a roofer may use caulk and mortar to cover any exposed nails or screw heads to avoid leakage.
Another essential duty that is carried out by a roofer after fixing a roof is to complete the site set up and clean up, as cleaning up the job location where he/she worked is his/her responsibility.
When a roofer first arrives on the site, he/she sets up ladders, scaffolding, and other temporary structures, as these tools enable him/her to conduct all needed roof work safely, and the roofer is required to break down the site after the job is completed.
Individuals who are interested in working as a roofer are required to showcase certain skills and qualifications that are needed for productivity in the job process.
Some of the required qualities for success on the roofer job include profound knowledge of roofing, dedication to construction safety, adequate knowledge of waterproofing, physical fitness and stamina, good communication and interpersonal skills, and customer service skills.
In terms of academic qualifications, there is no formal educational requirement for the job role of a roofer.
However, an ideal candidate should possess at least a High School diploma and should undergo on-the-job training.
Most employers also prefer candidates with several years of industry-related experience.
Roofer Salary: The average salary for a roofer is $41,308.
Roofer Job Description Example/Sample/Template
The following tasks, duties, and responsibilities typically define the roofer job description in most organizations:
- Replacing or installing new roofing systems on buildings and customizing materials for individual roofs
- Ensuring that roofing materials are aligned with edges of roofs
- Cementing or nailing flashing-strips of metal or shingle over joints to ensure that they are watertight
- Critically inspecting a room to determine the best repair or replacement procedure for it
- Inspecting the work area to ensure that all required materials are present
- Ensuring that materials are properly trimmed to tightly fit along the edges of a roof and altering materials as needed
- Smoothing and leveling roof surfaces by smoothing out rough spots and preparing a surface for new shingles or waterproofing
- Ensuring that the job location is neat and safe by cleaning it up once the job is completed.
Roofer Job Description for Resume
If you have worked before as a roofer or are presently working as one and need to make a new resume, it is vital to add the professional experience section to the resume.
The professional or work experience section gives you the opportunity to show the recruiter the duties and responsibilities you have successfully carried out as a roofer.
This information will strengthen your resume and can convince the recruiter to invite you to an interview, especially if the roofer work experience is important to the new job.
You can conveniently make a powerful professional experience section for your resume by using the sample job description above.
Roofer Requirements – Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities for Career Success
If you are seeking to work as a roofer, here are major requirements you may be expected to meet to be hired:
- Profound knowledge of roofing, as a roofer is expected to insulate and cover structures with the appropriate materials in a professional manner
- Good communication and interpersonal skills which enable him/her to establish and maintain positive working relationships with peers, customers, and other contractors
- Physical fitness and stamina, since the job requires many physical requirements such as the ability to lift heavy materials and withstand extensive bending, kneeling, and harsh weather conditions
- The ability to strictly adhere to construction safety
- Several years of previous work experience or on-the-job training
- At least a High School diploma.
If you are a recruiter or employer looking to hire for the roofer role, you will need to write and publish the description of the job so that interested individuals will know the duties and responsibilities they will be expected to perform working as a roofer in your organization.
This will help you to find and hire the best qualified candidates for the roofer position for your company.
This post is also helpful to individuals interested in the roofer career; they will be able to learn all they need to know about what roofers do.
Job Assessment Tests: How to Top Your Competition
As part of the hiring process, most applicants that passed the initial Resume/CV screening phase are required to pass an assessment test for the job or apprenticeship position they are applying for.
The goal of this phase is to determine if the candidate has the appropriate set of skills and qualities to excel on the job.
Find out the tests you will be needing to take for the position you are applying for; get lots of success proven Practice materials to prepare with now: Sure way to make high scores in job tests.