Product Compliance Specialist Job Description, Key Duties and Responsibilities
This post provides exhaustive information on the job description of a product compliance specialist to help you fully understand what they do.
It presents the key duties, tasks, and responsibilities that commonly make up the product compliance specialist work description in most organizations.
It also provides the major requirements recruiters may expect you to fulfill if you are seeking to work as a product compliance specialist.
Please, continue reading to learn more about the product compliance specialist career:
What Does a Product Compliance Specialist Do?
The product compliance specialist is responsible for ensuring that the organization complies with regulations guiding product manufacturing, packaging, safety, and quality.
The nature of the business of the organization they work for may cause their job duties to vary slightly; their job description may require them to handle complaints regarding their company’s products.
They capture and record product quality complaints (PQC) from call the center into Quality Assurance (QA) database and also engage with complainants to ensure information is accurate.
They secure the defective product samples and provide information about the product required for investigation.
Product compliance specialists work with manufacturing companies, technology companies, telecommunication companies, etc.
They are also responsible for conducting laboratory evaluation of a customer-returned product, processing investigations, and managing product replacement or reimbursement.
They may also support in identifying and reporting complaint trends by analyzing the data in the QA database.
The product compliance specialist work description also involves communicating complaint issues requiring expedited review or legal involvement to management, facilitate the resolution of issues, and provide evaluation report on laboratory investigations.
They may also convey information on the outcomes of investigations to the complainant if needed.
The product compliance specialist is also required to aid the organization in defining and tracking performance metrics to guarantee compliance processing complaints.
Product Compliance Specialist Job Description Example/Sample/Template
The product compliance specialist performs various functions, which primarily involves ensuring product safety and compliance regulatory requirements or standards in their particular industry of operation, as well as in countries where their company’s products are sold.
The core tasks, duties, and responsibilities of a product compliance specialist are listed in the job description example below:
- Research and communicate safety and compliance requirements relating to current products, new product categories, and expansion of sales to new regions
- Partake in product development projects to make certain that safety, regulatory, and agency requirements are recognized and satisfied in target markets
- Take part in Product Quality Risk Assessments projects to spot and quantify safety and compliance risks, and develop mitigation plans
- Ensure that safety and compliance requirements are met in aspects of a product such as labeling, packaging artwork, and instruction booklets
- Assist in cost savings and continuous improvement projects to ensure that product safety and compliance is maintained
- Stay abreast with changes to regulatory and agency requirements, and recommend actions required to maintain compliance of active products
- Plan and execute ongoing testing and compliance documentation updates for active products
- Maintain records to support safety and compliance
- Support the investigation and problem solving for safety or compliance issues
- Contribute to policies and processes to assure safety and compliance
- Lead and direct internal product teams leadership and cross-functional teams on compliance-related issues.
Product Compliance Specialist Job Description for Resume
If you have worked before as a product compliance specialist or are holding the position with your current employer and are making a new resume, it will be wise to add the professional experience section to your resume.
With the professional experience section, you can describe the duties you have performed as a product compliance specialist, which can convince the recruiter that you are the right candidate for the position that you are seeking.
You can apply the product compliance specialist duties and responsibilities presented in the above job description example in making the professional experience section of your resume.
Product Compliance Specialist Requirements – Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities for Career Success
If you are seeking the job of a product compliance specialist, you will be expected to meet the recruiter’s requirements to be qualified to access the position.
Given below are major requirements most recruiters commonly set for applicants for the product compliance specialist role to meet to be hired:
- Education: Applicants are required to have a Bachelor’s degree in Engineering or Sciences, but Chemical or Material engineering may be preferred depending on the needs of the recruiter
- Knowledge: Employers seek individuals with demonstrated experience in assuring product compliance with regulatory requirements, and knowledge of product development and manufacturing. It is also vital that they have knowledge of consumer products/industrial product or the business of their chosen company, and FPLA/UPLR labeling regulations if it is relevant to them
- Communication skills: It is important that applicants for product compliance specialist job can convey information, including complex technical requirements in clear terms to people of various backgrounds. Besides verbal communication skills, it is also vital that they have behavioral and writing skills to manage complainants, capture complaints clearly and accurately, and secure positive outcomes
- Computer skills: Product compliance specialists should be skillful in data entry and Microsoft Office applications, such as Excel & PowerPoint
- Problem-solving skills: It is essential that they have knowledge of problem-solving techniques and strategies, including root cause analysis, 8D, 5Why, PDCA methodologies, etc. They also need a curious mind to recognize and resolve potential safety and compliance issues before they occur
- Organizational skills: They may be required to handle complaints in large volumes alongside other duties. So it is important that they can effectively plan and prioritize activities, and have the requisite skills to process large volumes of complaints into the QA database.
Product Compliance Specialist Salary
According to information from salaries of published product compliance specialist jobs on PayScale, the average annual salary for a Product Compliance Specialist is $66,466 per annum.
If you are a recruiter or HR manager needing to hire for the product compliance specialist role in your organization, you can effectively produce the right description for the position by applying the sample work description above.
You need to create a comprehensive description of the product compliance specialist position for your organization, to inform interested individuals what duties and responsibilities they will handle if hired.
The information shared in this post is also helpful to individuals who are interested in the product compliance specialist career to get deep knowledge of what the role does.
This will help them in making the right decision about getting into the product compliance specialist career or not.