This post provides exhaustive information on the obgyn medical assistant job description, including the key duties, tasks, and responsibilities they typically perform.
It also highlights the major requirements individuals need to meet to be hired for the Obstetrics and Gynecology medical assistant role.
What Does an Obgyn Medical Assistant Do?
The Obgyn medical assistant job description entails keeping medical records and updating attendance registers on a daily basis in accordance with the standards and policies of the clinic.
It also involves providing childcare services such as rooming mothers, feeding them, and giving them medication as prescribed by their doctor or GYNA/GYNC.
Obstetrics and Gynecology medical assistants provide information to patients concerning any aspect of general hygiene that might be needed when they visit doctors’ clinics or hospitals.
They maintain the cleanliness of the clinic under the supervision of the doctor or GYNA/GYNC.
It is also their duty to oversee overall attendance in the clinic and ensure that all patients who visit the clinic are attended to as quickly as possible, to avoid delay for them.
This position ensures that all laboratory requests are completed and recorded in accordance with the instructions of their supervisors.
In addition, the Obgyn medical assistant maintains supplies in stock and verifies them on a regular basis.
They are required to administer vaccinations against disease during clinics by following proper procedure.
One of the duties of the Obgyn medical assistant is the cleanliness of their workplace.
They are also required to organize cleaning tasks and duties in accordance with the schedule set by their supervisor.
Obgyn medical assistants are required to ensure that patients are given their medication by following proper procedure before and after administering the medication
More on Obgyn Medical Assistant Job Description
Their duties also involve maintaining record containing information on all prescriptions given to them for giving out to the patients, in accordance with standard procedure in all circumstances.
Obgyn medical assistants are also responsible for maintaining a register of all activity at clinics under their supervision that includes but not limited to patient notification of prescription request, attendance log and transfer log, etc using computerized records systems.
They implement a proper procedure for the disposal or incineration of medical waste as outlined by their supervisors.
It is also their duty to maintain the inventory records of items kept in stock and verify them on a regular basis, in accordance with standard procedures.
They are responsible for ensuring that vital signs are taken at all clinic sessions.
Obgyn Medical Assistant Job Description Sample/Example/Template
The Obstetrics and Gynecology medical assistant job description involves the following duties, tasks, and responsibilities:
- Provides assistance to the doctor and medical assistants
- Scribes medical records in order to make the flow of patients smooth in case of emergency or situation where assistance is needed
- Provides assistance or first aid for minor injuries
- Reviews patient charts and records, follows up with lab results, and reports back to patients if needed
- Provides support for other duties, as well as assists in procedures such as blood collections, wound treatment, preparation of supplies, stocking instruments/supplies used by doctors
- Prepares equipment, instruments, and supplies needed by doctors in their practice
- Gives proper instructions to patients and groups on the preparation for their visits. Also give them counseling about proper health care
- Ensures that optimum privacy of clients is maintained at all times
- Prepares medications, ensuring they are properly labeled, stocked in the right location and are ready for delivery to other medical practitioners as needed
- Prepares instruments and supplies used by doctors during examinations, procedures or treatments
- Brings medical books, supplies or equipment to rooms assigned to patients as directed by medical administrative staff
- Keeps charts of patients, such as their medical histories and medical examination reports
- Assists in maintaining a clean working environment by performing routine cleaning and disinfection of equipment, instruments and supplies
- Follows federal and state pharmaceutical laws in handling medications.
Obgyn Medical Assistant Job Description for Resume
If you have worked before as an obgyn medical assistant or are presently working in that position and are making a resume or CV for a new job, then you can apply the above sample obgyn medical assistant job description in making the Professional Experience section of your resume.
You can highlight the obgyn medical assistant duties and responsibilities from the above job description sample in your resume’s Professional Experience to show that you have been successful performing the Obgyn medical assistant’s role.
This piece of information in your resume can greatly boost its effectiveness and win you an interview appointment, especially if the new job that you are seeking requires someone with some Obstetrics and Gynecology medical assistant work experience.
Obgyn Medical Assistant Requirements: Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities for Career Success
If you are seeking the job of an obgyn medical assistant, here are major requirements that you may be expected to meet to be hired:
- Completed medical assistant program from an accredited institution
- Board of Medical Examiners registered
- Certification: Basic Life Support
- Having worked for at least 6 months in a medical setting
- Ability to handle stressful situations calmly and effectively under pressure as well as being a team player
- Organized and detail-oriented, able to follow written and verbal instructions, work in a fast paced environment without compromising quality of work or product plus good communication skills
- Good organizational skills, ability to prioritize and multi-task
- Ability to learn quickly and follow instructions quickly
- Good organization and planning skills, detail-oriented
- Attention to detail, excellent organizational skills
- Ability to multi-task under pressure or stressful situations
- Computer literacy with experience using computerized medical record systems
- Must be able to work well in a team environment and be able to take direction from others with good leadership skills
- Security Clearance: Background check.
Obgyn Medical Assistant Salary
Some of the best paying cities according to Indeed are: Neptune City, NJ, $45,380: Princeton, NJ, $38,520, and Somerset, NJ, $38,200 per hour.
An obgyn medical assistant is a highly trained and skilled professional who has mastered the basic skills and materials required to perform the duties of their job.
This guide hopefully provided you with a comprehensive insight on the duties and tasks of an obgyn medical assistant.
It is helpful to individuals interested in the obgyn medical assistant career, to learn all they need to know about the role entails.
This post is also useful to employers/recruiters in making a detailed job description for the position by applying the obgyn medical assistant job description example given on this page.