Medical Secretary Resume Writing Tips and Example
To be employed as a medical secretary, you need a good resume to convince the hiring manager that you are capable of performing secretarial duties within clinical setting.
Therefore, you must be able to prepare a convincing resume for your application, highlighting your skills and personal qualities, as well as experience in related positions, and academic qualifications that qualify you to work in the position of a medical secretary.
Steps to Writing a Good Medical Secretary Resume
To make an effective resume for medical secretary job applications, you must target the resume at the specific employer that you want to convince.
This means that you must use keywords related to the medical secretary position that you seek to obtain.
The keywords been referred to here are the specific skills and qualification requirements for the position.
These requirements are usually highlighted in the job description usually attached to the job advert.
Also, your resume for medical secretary job application should be created using an attractive resume layout that will allow whoever that reads it to easily view and understand the content of the document.
Your medical secretary resume must be sub-divided into different key sections, with each part accommodating specific set of information clearly presented in bullet points.
The choice of resume format and the sections to include in your medical secretary resume will depend on the writer or the applicant.
However, a functional resume format bearing career objective, core competence, job experience, and educational qualification sections can be very effective for most kinds of application.
Now, let’s see how the different parts can be made:
Resume Objective Section
The career objective section of your resume for a medical secretary job application should contain a powerful statement known as the “objective statement”.
Starting your resume with a strong objective statement will help convince the hiring manager that you are aware of the demands of the job, and possess the right set of skills to perform effectively as a medical secretary.
See examples of what objective statement for the medical secretary position may look like to be effective:
Examples of Medical Secretary Objective Statements for Resume
- Seeking the job of a medical secretary with Sancta Health Clinic, offering over 5 years progressive experience in front office management within healthcare arena, strong knowledge of electronic record system and coding protocols, and effective skills in communication.
- To obtain the position of a medical secretary with Capsule Medical Center, offering strong background in secretarial and clerical studies, extensive knowledge of medical office procedures and strong organizational skills.
Core Competence Section
The core competence section of your medical secretary resume is also an important part of the document as it is the only section where you have the opportunity to highlight your skills, qualities, and expertise that you are bringing to the job in full.
However, it is not a space to include irrelevant details as this may cause your resume to be thrown into the bin.
This section should only bear important skills that will be useful to the hiring clinic.
Job Experience Section
This is the section of your resume where you highlight one or two clinics where you worked before as a secretary or other places where you worked in similar positions.
It is not only important to state the name of the former or present employer, but also to highlight the duties associated with the job.
Educational and Professional Qualification Section
Most clinics employ candidates with associate degree in secretarial studies or a minimum of high school diploma to work in the position of a medical secretary.
So, it is necessary for you to go through the advertised job description to find out the requirements for the medical secretary position that you want to obtain, and arrange your academic achievements in an attractive manner using bullet points.
That’s it about the various sections that make up a good medical secretary resume. Now, we will look at a complete resume sample for the position to see how the different sections can be put together.
See medical secretary resume example below:
Medical Secretary Resume Example/Sample/Template
2 Times Avenue, Columbus, Ohio
Home: (+2) 178-871, Cell: (+2)178-8732
Objective: Seeking the job of a medical secretary with Sancta Health Clinic, offering over 5 years progressive experience in front office management within healthcare arena, strong knowledge of electronic record system and coding protocols, and effective skills in communication
- 5+ years’ progressive experience in front office management within medical arena
- Strong knowledge of electronic record system and coding protocols
- Effective communication, organization and interpersonal skills
- Strong background in secretarial and clerical studies
- Strong data entry and database management skills
- Strong skills in medical transcription.
Ohio Central Clinic, Columbus, Ohio
2003 – Present
- Greet and welcome walk-in and scheduled patients
- Direct walk-in and scheduled patients to the appropriate offices
- Obtain necessary information from patients to complete medical forms and documents
- Enter accurate patient data and maintain patient log book
- Schedule patients for appointments with medical doctors
- Determine and prepare charts and office procedures
- Typeset correspondences and office documents
- Prepare financial statements and billing procedures
- Train and supervise newly recruited medical secretaries
- Manage incoming and outgoing telephone calls and e-mails.
St. Columbus Health Clinic, Columbus, Ohio
- Greeted and welcomed walk-in and scheduled patients
- Directed walk-in and scheduled patients to the appropriate offices
- Managed stock inventory and ordered supplies when stock is low
- Transcribed prescriptions and medical documents
- Explained prescriptions and treatment regimens to patients
- Retrieved, edited and updated medical records
- Maintained the front office area
- Scheduled patients for appointments with medical doctors
- Determined and prepared charts and office procedures
- Typed correspondences and office documents.
Education and Professional Qualification
- Ohio Central College, Columbus, Ohio, Associate degree in Office and Secretarial studies, 2000.
To be ahead of the competition in getting the medical secretary job that you are applying for, a good resume will be very helpful.
And the good news is that you can use the tips and template provided in this post in making a great resume for the position, which increases your chances of being called up for an interview.
Did you find this post helpful in writing a great resume for use in applying for a medical secretary job? Do let us know what you think about this article in the comment box below. You may also suggest additional tips you know that have helped you in making good resumes for the medical secretary job.
You will also like:
>> Create a professional resume in only 3 steps with the Awesome Resume Builder (it's free!) and increase your interview call ups.
Job Assessment Tests: How to Top Your Competition
As part of the hiring process, most applicants that passed the initial Resume/CV screening phase are required to pass an assessment test for the job or apprenticeship position they are applying for.
The goal of this phase is to determine if the candidate has the appropriate set of skills and qualities to excel on the job.
Find out the tests you will be needing to take for the position you are applying for; get lots of success proven Practice materials to prepare with now: Sure way to make high scores in job tests.