Medical Coding Manager Job Description, Duties, and Responsibilities
What Does a Medical Coding Manager Do?
The medical coding manager is responsible for coordinating the work of the medical coding staff, which includes handling of patients’ medical records and reviewing them, recommending the right code, discovering gaps in patients’ records, and delivering of the summary to clients and explaining necessary areas to them.
His/her job description entails supervising all functions of the medical coding department, including creating the coding process, monitoring budget, taking part in the development of programs, and carrying out auditing duties.
The manager takes responsibility for how the coding department operates each day and ensures that work assignments are completed on schedule by providing effective monitoring to both quantity and quality of workflow.
His/her role also covers responsibilities on project planning and all process documentation. It also involves being responsible for quality delivery and team performance.
The coding manager provides assistance in developing coding practice standards and policies and suggests the appropriate trainings to improve the performance of the team.
His/her job description also involves managing client interaction and customer engagement, as well as coordinating with client and internal teams.
The medical coding manager must always strive to enhance his/her knowledge and also continually improve on established processes to be effective on the job.
Medical Coding Manager Job Description Example/Sample/Template
The medical coding manager performs various functions in providing effective supervision to the staff of the coding department.
In most health facilities, the medical coding manager is commonly assigned the tasks, duties, and responsibilities shown in the job description example below:
- Carry out accurate, timely, and consistent coding of data from clinical trials by applying WHODrug and MedDRA, as well as issue queries when necessary and resolve them in a timely manner
- Carry out thorough and consistent review of all coding, including studies that were outsourced
- Perform tasks in accordance with company-wide project specific guidelines and standard coding practices acceptable in the industry
- Provide assistance in creating or/and reviewing medical coding related Work Instructions (WIs) and Standard Operating Procedures (SOP)
- Perform assessment of coding applications/tools and suggest the necessary input into them
- Work collaboratively with the Data Management department to ensure coding deliverables are achieved in a timely manner
- Provide assistance with the performance of clinical trial data upversioning
- Ensure coding tool is working perfectly before going live by assisting with all areas of User Acceptance Testing concerning in-house coded studies
- Communicate medical coding process improvements as appropriate/approved to the team and ensure implementation
- Provide assistance in creating, documenting, and maintaining medical coding related items, including Change Request Logs, Global Coding Guidelines, upversioning documentation or Vendor or Internal related coding reports
- Give presentation on medical coding issues to external third party vendors and/or internal departments when necessary
- Collaborate with other departments and professionals within the organization to effectively resolve any medical coding issue that may arise
- Assist junior staff to develop competence in coding knowledge and skills by training, managing, and mentoring them
- Work together with Drug Safety when necessary on matters relating to medical coding
- Take part in company/project meetings
- Perform assessments of newly launched medical coding related technologies and make recommendations/suggestions
- Directly supervise the work/activities of staff of the medical coding department.
Requirements – Skills, Abilities, and Knowledge – for the Medical Coding Manager Role
When hiring for the role of a medical coding manager, most employers will require individuals who are interested in the position to have the following skills, abilities, experience, and qualifications:
- Strong expertise with WHODrug and MedDRA
- Strong knowledge and working experience of two coding solutions or more, including Medidata Rave Coder or dsNavigator
- Strong experience providing leadership in reviewing and communicating third-party vendor coding and in managing junior staff
- Strong medical terminology knowledge
- Ability to work effectively in a cross-functional team-oriented setting
- Thorough understanding of regulatory environment and ICH as it concerns data management
- Exceptional computer skills, with strong ability to apply Microsoft Office applications
- Exceptional organizational, verbal, and written communication skills
- Detail-oriented individual with strong EDC database experience
- Deep knowledge of the principles of SDTM and CDASH
- Strong experience in coding data for relevant clinical trials
- Strong ability to uphold organizational values, work with integrity and ethically, inspire the trust of others, and treat people with respect
- Strong ability to use time efficiently, and to prioritize and plan work activities
- Strong ability to follow instructions and management directions, and to complete assigned administrative tasks on time and correctly.
Are you an employer looking to hire for the position of a medical coding manager in your organization? If you are, then you can use the information in this post, including the sample job description provided in making a description for your offer.
By publishing a detailed description of the job position, you will be increasing your chances of attracting the best coding managers to apply for the job.
This post is also helpful to people who want to learn about the medical coding career. They will be able to increase their knowledge of what managers in charge of medical coding departments do and can then make up their minds to get into the career or not.
Did you find this post useful in learning about the duties and responsibilities of medical coding managers? Please, leave a comment in the box below. You can also share your job description if you work as a manager in a medical coding department.
Job Assessment Tests: How to Top Your Competition
As part of the hiring process, most applicants that passed the initial Resume/CV screening phase are required to pass an assessment test for the job or apprenticeship position they are applying for.
The goal of this phase is to determine if the candidate has the appropriate set of skills and qualities to excel on the job.
Find out the tests you will be needing to take for the position you are applying for; get lots of success proven Practice materials to prepare with now: Sure way to make high scores in job tests.