Junior Data Analyst Job Description, Key Duties and Responsibilities
If you are looking to learn about the junior data analyst job description to increase your knowledge of the duties and responsibilities that characterize the role, then you will find this post useful.
You will also find this article helpful if you are seeking the position of a junior data analyst; you will discover the major requirements most recruiters commonly set for the role and then be able to prepare a more effective application.
Please continue reading:
What Does a Junior Data Analyst Do?
The junior data analyst role is an entry level job position with the primary responsibility of collecting and analyzing data to help organizations make informed decisions.
Junior data analysts work in various sectors of the economy because every business depends on data whether it’s sales figures, market research, or logistics, or transportation costs, employee schedule, etc., to make sound decisions and thrive.
They are employed in telecommunications, immigration, logistic firms, banks, IT firms, etc.
The junior data analyst job description entails undertaking data collection from multiple sources, including primary, secondary, internal, and external sources to generate relevant data for analysis.
It also involves analyzing and interpreting collected data using statistical tools and computer software etc.
Junior data analysts interpret the raw data and identify any patterns in it to provide clarity to the non-technical audience.
They also create visualizations, including dashboards, flowcharts, and graphs to relay business concepts through visuals to colleagues and other relevant stakeholders.
They are also responsible for compiling Excel spreadsheets and using Visual Basic for Applications to make data visible before analysis.
The junior data analyst work description also involves coding and re-coding data contained within various databases to identify patterns.
It also includes maintaining databases or data systems, as well as identifying new process improvement opportunities.
To work as a junior data analyst requires a minimum of an Associate degree with some years of related work experienced.
However, some employers may recruit data analysts without a degree but with extensive work experience; but employees who have a Bachelor’s degree are preferred.
Junior Data Analyst Job Description Example/Sample/Template
The junior data analyst performs various functions, including data collection and analysis to identify useful trends and provide management with relevant information that will facilitate informed decisions.
But they are not directly involved in dealing with clients or presenting their reports to management. That is the job of the senior data analyst.
The job task they handle may vary slightly depending on the sector they work in and the needs of the organization.
However, the major tasks, duties, and responsibilities that commonly make up the junior data analyst job description are listed below:
- Utilize historical data sets and planned product changes to model and forecast business trends
- Responsible for tracking and reporting on department initiatives and status reports
- Analyze the firm’s operations for trends, volume, demographics, and operator metrics to support decisions
- Conduct research on specific complaints, the individuals submitting those complaints, and other relevant information related to individual queries or systemic issues
- Update and manage information in a web-based case management system
- Act on cases and provide case summaries for referral to relevant unit for follow-up review and action
- Log information into the Tableau business intelligence and analytics database of the organization
- Utilize the Tableau analytics database to carry out statistical analysis and ad hoc reporting as required
- Provide support with technical writing and editing as required
- Develop analytics to identify trend lines across several data sources within the organization
- Examine and evaluate existing business practices and systems, and proffer suggestions aimed at creating efficiency and streamlining operations, while maintaining or increasing compliance rates
- Apply predictive analysis and tools to forecast and employ business analytics (including an enhanced ability to quantify and qualify data)
- Undertake operational research to identify and recommend optimal/near-optimal solutions to complex challenges.
Junior Data Analyst Job Description for Resume
You can apply the sample junior data analyst job description provided above in making a resume for the position.
If you have worked or are currently working as a junior data analyst and need to make a resume for a new job, you can easily complete the professional section of your resume by applying the highlighted duties and responsibilities of the role shown in the above job description example.
Junior Data Analyst Requirements – Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities for Career Success
Job seekers applying for the position of junior data analyst are commonly expected to meet certain requirements before they can be considered for the job.
Recruiters set the requirements to attract only applicants with the right qualities, education, and experience for the job.
Shown below are major junior data analyst requirements applicants for the role may be asked to fulfill:
- Education: Applicants are required to have a minimum of AS degree, but a Bachelor’s degree in Information Management, Computer Science, or Statistics Mathematical, or in a technical field is preferred
- Knowledge: They are required to have a minimum of 1 year of experience handling a database with large datasets. Regardless of their educational background, applicants must possess advanced computer skills, knowledge of additional databases such as SQL Server and MySQL. It is also vital that they have an understanding of project management. It is also important that they are familiar with data warehousing, data mining, and data mapping
- Organizational skills: They may be require to work under tight schedules, so it is important that they can effectively manage and prioritize multiple work assignments
- Quantitative skills: it is vital that applicants for the junior data analyst job have knowledge of statistical methods and data analysis software such as SPSS to provide quantitative and qualitative data analysis
- Research skills: It is essential that applicants can undertake in-depth research, quantify the information and produce qualitative and quantitative reports. They must also be able to utilize data obtained to develop concise summaries targeted at decision points
- Presentation skills: Applicants must also be capable of presenting their findings clearly via reports and oral presentations to senior colleagues
- Team work abilities: It is important that they can work effectively in a team oriented environment, and independently in a fast-paced, and changing environment
- Computer skills: The junior data analyst job requires that applicants have advanced Excel skills with the ability to write macros and do pivot tables. They also need advanced knowledge of Access to undertake querying, creation of tables, and formulas
- Communication skills: They also need verbal and written communication skills to converse and collaborate with all levels of employees
- Attention to detail: Errors in data applied for analysis can render conclusions or findings invalid; therefore, it is important that applicants have the ability to pay meticulous attention to detail, factoring every piece that might alter the validity of data.
If you are a recruiter or HR manager hiring for the junior data analyst position, you need to make a detailed description of the job to help interested persons for the role have a good understanding of the duties and responsibilities associated with the job in your organization.
You can make the perfect description for the role by applying the sample junior data analyst job description provided above.
This post is also beneficial to individuals interested in the junior data analyst career to learn about the work they do so as to decide if that is what they want to do or not.
Did this article help you to understanding what junior data analysts do? Please, make a comment in the box below. You may also discuss your job description if you work as a junior data analyst.
Job Assessment Tests: How to Top Your Competition
As part of the hiring process, most applicants that passed the initial Resume/CV screening phase are required to pass an assessment test for the job or apprenticeship position they are applying for.
The goal of this phase is to determine if the candidate has the appropriate set of skills and qualities to excel on the job.
Find out the tests you will be needing to take for the position you are applying for; get lots of success proven Practice materials to prepare with now: Sure way to make high scores in job tests.