IT Data Analyst Job Description, Key Duties and Responsibilities
This post provides information on the job description of an IT data analyst to help you learn about what they do.
It highlights the key duties, tasks, and responsibilities that commonly make up the IT data analyst work description in most organizations.
This page also shows the major requirements recruiters for the IT data analyst position commonly expect applicants to meet to be employed.
Please, continue reading to learn more about the IT data analyst career:
What Does an IT Data Analyst Do?
The IT data analyst is responsible for helping organizations manage high volume technical data and develop programs and tools that will provide data in a useful format for the organization or its clients.
They find employment in different sectors, including the healthcare sector, financial industry, and consulting; and in organizations in other sectors with the need to compile, organize, and analyze large amount of data, with the goal of improving business operations.
The IT data analyst job description entails researching, organizing, and analyzing data from business operations, such as customer interaction, department operations, and general business activities, etc.
It also involves spotting data and reporting processes and work flows in organizations in need of upgrading, as well as working with various stakeholders and analysts in developing and implementing enhancement, utilizing tools such as SQL, Excel, Python, Data Visualization, etc. available.
IT data analysts also exploit automation and science-based techniques in managing data, predicting scenarios, and prescribing actions.
They also assist in maintaining or implementing data ecosystems, including data management, governance, and the integration of structured and unstructured data; applying own expertise or sourcing outside analytics expertise as needed to provide continuous insights and improvements for operational efficiency.
They are also responsible for supporting the company’s operations by providing data services and insights that sustain client services and sales teams.
The kind of operational support that the IT data analyst may be required to provide includes managing promotional campaign data, supporting sales, and project management, and client services teams by defining and fulfilling data requests.
IT Data Analyst Job Description Example/Sample/Template
The IT data analyst performs various functions, which primarily involves database management, and may be required to manage and manipulate the technology systems of an organization in the most efficient manner.
They are also responsible for the ongoing review of the existing reference data sets and processes to improve the total quality of an organization’s data.
The functions of an IT data analyst will vary in complexity depending on the operations of the company they work for.
Here is a list of the core tasks, duties, and responsibilities that commonly make up the IT data analyst job description:
- Perform database queries, list matches, reporting, and general analysis of campaign and subscriber data to provide daily support for data needs of internal clients
- Eliminate duplicates and standardize data sets, as well as spot and address other data quality problems that may arise
- Carry out data cleaning activities as required
- Provide reports, including updates for Client Services campaign status with program’s current delivery totals on a daily basis
- Provide report on campaign performance monthly or as required
- Responsible for developing and managing internal data tools in support of client services and sales teams
- Responsible for developing and preserving procedures that enhance the team’s reporting capabilities
- Responsible for writing SQL queries against data warehouses
- Develop, test, and implement new project-specific and general approaches and functions, and upgrade/update existing procedures
- Collaborate with other analysts and teams on highly complex projects
- Responsible for modernizing and automating current processes
- Responsible for composing specifications around data extraction, transformation, and mapping.
IT Data Analyst Job Description for Resume
If you are writing a resume for a new job, the professional or job experience section is a must have in your resume if you have worked previously as an IT data analyst or are currently holding the position.
This will help show the recruiter that you have the needed IT data analyst experience.
You can apply the sample IT data analyst job description above in completing the professional experience section of your resume.
IT Data Analyst Requirements – Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities for Career Success
If you are seeking the job of an IT data analyst, you should be prepared to meet recruiters’ requirements, which include certain skills, abilities, knowledge, education, etc. to be considered for the position.
These requirements are important to help recruiters find people who can perform the obligations, objectives, and purpose of the IT data analyst position that will be assigned to them.
Shown below are major requirements individuals looking for the IT data analyst job are commonly expected to fulfil to qualify for hiring:
- Education: Applicants for the IT data analyst job are commonly required to have a minimum of Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Mathematics, or Economics; Statistics or Information Systems, or in a related field
- Knowledge: They must have advanced understanding of technology systems to succeed as an IT data analyst. They must also possess strong understanding of data structure and management and have industry experience in their choice sector
- Also, it is important that applicants have proficient SQL skills and practical knowledge of manipulating tables and working with large data sets
- Computer skills: Having strong computer skills is a core requirement for the IT data analyst job. Applicants must have intermediate-proficient Excel skills to develop PivotTables/Charts and complicated formulas. They also need to have hands-on experience working with Data Analytics tools, including Python, R, Tableau, AWS, etc., as well as cloud collaboration environments like GitLab, Jupyter, etc.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills: The IT data analyst job involves working with internal and external clients, so it is essential that applicants for the role can communicate verbally and in writing, and also relate positively with others in a manner that can preserve relationships
- Exceptional time management skills: IT data analysts may be faced with several tasks at the same time to be managed within time constraint. Therefore, it is crucial that they can prioritize and schedule assignments to achieve optimal results within the required time
- Attention to detail: Employers look for people who care about the tiny details and are committed to accuracy and integrity of information to guarantee data quality
- Organizational skills: It is important for IT data analyst to be active and able to handle multiple tasks; balancing multiple projects and setting priorities.
If you are a recruiter or HR manager needing to hire for the IT data analyst position in your organization, you will need to inform prospective candidates of the duties and responsibilities associated with the role by posting a description of the job.
You can write a detailed description of the available IT data analyst job by applying the duties of the role highlighted in the sample job description above.
This post is also helpful to individuals interested in the IT data analyst career to learn about the duties and responsibilities that define the IT data analyst job. With the knowledge, they can make informed decisions about their career choice.
Did this post help increase your understanding of what IT data analysts do? Please, leave a comment in the box below. You can also share your job description if you work as an IT data analyst.