Business Data Analyst Job Description, Key Duties and Responsibilities
If you are looking for information about the job description of a business data analyst to learn about what they do, then this post will make it clear to you.
It presents the key duties, tasks, and responsibilities commonly associated with the business data analyst work description in most companies.
You will also discover in this post the major requirements individuals seeking the business data analyst job are usually expected to meet by recruiters to access the position.
Please, continue reading to increase your knowledge of the business data analyst career:
What Does a Business Data Analyst Do?
The business data analyst is responsible for the creation and maintenance of various BI reports, analysis, and Power Point presentations; data models and analytical tools to provide data analytical support to various operations competencies of an organization.
To provide analytical support, business data analysts are required to comprehend the business and information needs of the organization or its clients and translate them into BI/analytics/reporting requirements.
The business data analyst job description entails providing actionable insights that can be easily interpreted by business owners, clients, etc; designing, developing, and maintaining ongoing metrics, reports, data mining, analyses, dashboards, etc. that drive meaningful and prompt actionable insights.
It also involves maintaining appropriate documentation around Business Intelligence solutions and systems.
Business data analysts research, study, and analyze system or process related incidents reported and resolve them.
They are also responsible for recommending process improvement opportunities to management or appropriate unit.
They bring proactive approach to business process re-engineering, internal control objectives, and best practices to tackle business needs, identify and solve problems, and improve service levels.
The business data analyst work description also involves providing support in maintaining and supporting databases performing several activities, including inputting and cleaning data, determining formats, researching data conversions, establishing data specifications, configuration/integration, updating sources, and ensuring data integrity.
It also entails teaching business users how to interact with the visualizations they have created, interpreting the results, and developing reference materials.
Besides coaching business users, business data analysts also develop and execute training programs and communication plans to improve user adoption and effectiveness of new and existing features.
Business Data Analyst Job Description Example/Sample/ Template
Business data analysts perform various functions, which primarily involves providing data, reports, and analyses in support of an organization’s plan to facilitate data driven decision-making.
They provide summary analyses in an easy-to- understand format and proffer recommendations to solve business problems and improve processes/decisions that may have negative financial performance.
The primary tasks, duties, and responsibilities that commonly define the business data analyst job description are listed below:
- Define and deliver metrics, reporting platforms, dashboards, and analytical models vital for tracking and managing the business
- Identify business challenges and initiate process improvement projects
- Facilitate the computerization of analytics and data collection processes
- Provide analyses for large datasets necessary for decisions using actionable insights
- Collaborate with Marketing, Sales, Engineering, Operations, etc. to build scalable processes and metrics
- Responsible for carrying out complex analysis of datasets and conduct appropriate data validation
- Responsible for gathering and cleaning of datasets across multiple data sources
- Responsible for spotting vital insights and developing the framework of the organization’s data system
- Provide information on analytic results to business and functional leaders using visualizations to communicate data and metrics, including data maps, leveraging Tableau, etc.
- Define vital people data performance indicators.
Business Data Analyst Job Description for Resume
If you are making a resume for a new job, you can apply the business data analyst job description provided above in making the professional or work experience section of your resume.
As someone who has had some work experience as a business data analyst or are presently holding the position with your current employer, you need to include the work experience section to your new resume to clearly show to the recruiter that you have been successful performing the role of a business data analyst.
This will definitely add a punch to your resume as recruiters generally like to hire someone with enough experience to excel on the job.
The above sample job description contains the duties and responsibilities you can apply to description your work as a business data analyst in the professional experience section of your resume.
Business Data Analyst Requirements – Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities for Career Success
If you are seeking the business data analyst role with a company, you need to know that the recruiter will ask you to meet certain requirements to be granted an interview.
This is important to recruiters for them to select the best candidates who can effectively perform the obligations, objectives, and purpose of the business data analyst role in their organization.
Shown below are major requirements you may be asked to fulfill by recruiters if you are applying for the job of a business data analyst:
- Education: To work as a business data analyst, individuals are required to have a minimum of Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Information Technology/System, or Business, or in a field relevant to the employer
- Knowledge: Applicants must possess experience working in a corporate environment. Business data analyst must have proficient knowledge of Tableau, Power BI, Domo, SAP, or other business Intelligence tools. They must also demonstrate advanced proficiency in Microsoft Excel and PowerPoint
- Employers also seek individuals with good understanding of enterprise applications and business processes, as well as solid working knowledge of data management best practices and experience implementing and maintaining them. It is also essential that they are familiar with project program management development life cycle
- Analytical skills: Business data analysts must be able to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Having analytical skills also help them define business needs and develop technical requirements, and also proffer solutions to business problems using data-driven insights
- Communication skills: It is important for business data analysts to have exceptional verbal communication skills to be able to explain technical concepts and procedures to non-technical users. It also enables them present their work and tailor the delivery to the capacity of the audience
- Detail-oriented: Business data analysts are responsible for the accuracy and integrity of data, so it is important that they pay deliberate attention to data input and output to ensure accuracy and validity.
Advancing your Business Data Analyst Career
If you are in the business data analyst career and need to advance to a higher position, or are in a different career but desire to move into the better paying business data analyst job, what you need to do to realize your goal is to take the right training courses.
Fresh graduates or students interested in building a career in the business data analysis field can also achieve their goal by taking relevant training courses to acquire the needed skills and knowledge for a successful career.
If you are looking to land a higher, more paying position and build a successful business data analyst career, you can check out the following training courses; they are sure to help you acquire the skills and knowledge you need to succeed on your desired job:
>> Business Analytics Certification Training with Excel
>> Certified Business Analysis Professional Certification Training
>> Business Analytics Expert
>> Data Science Certification Training
>> Data Science with Python Training Course
>> Data Science with SAS Certification Training
>> Data Scientist Master’s Program
If you are a recruiter or HR manager needing to attract the best people to hire for the business data analyst role in your organization, you will need to publish a detailed description of the position to help interested individuals learn about the job and determine if they are well suited for it or not.
You can make the perfect description of the available business data analyst job for your company by applying the sample job description shown above as a template.
Individuals who are interested in the business data analyst career will also find this article helpful; they will be able to increase their knowledge of what the role does, and so will be able to make the right decision about taking the career.
Did this post help in improving your understanding of what business data analysts do? Please, leave a comment in the box below. You can also discuss your job description if you work as a business data analyst.