IT Services Manager Job Description Example
What Does an IT Services Manager Do?
IT services managers facilitate improved IT services for businesses through the development and implementation of necessary action plans.
Their job description entails setting and enforcing standards for IT practices and operation.
They perform IT administration and management duties as part of their plans for enhancing IT services.
They also organize meetings to discuss IT service operations as well as take decisions on strategies effective for improved performance.
The IT services manager role also involves designing projects aimed at improving IT processes, systems and operations.
They ensure IT services officers adhere to all external data protection and privacy regulations.
They also build/maintain an up-to-date customer relationship management database.
As part of their duties, IT services managers assess customer needs and requirements to proffer IT solutions essential in meeting client specification.
They conduct IT risk analysis to identify current risk level and develop an action plan for minimizing risk to an acceptable level.
They also carry out tests and troubleshooting to detect issues with a company’s or client’s IT systems.
Usually, IT services managers monitor and maintain the security and integrity of information database to ensure preservation of assets and recovery of information in event of a malfunction.
They regulate expenditures, analyze variances and conduct forecasts to identify requirements useful in preparing annual budgets.
Occasionally, IT services managers conduct systems audits to identify technologies affected, as well as verify application results.
They proffer recommendations to company management on appropriate IT strategies and best practices to implement in order to surmount challenges and achieve set objectives.
They are also responsible for overseeing the hiring/training of IT service personnel who operate and administer information and network systems.
The IT service manager work description also entails supervising the installation, setting up, and maintaining work stations and other technology resources.
They maintain a list of pending repairs and may select or make recommendations on choice of components for purchase.
They also maintain an up-to-date knowledge of job operations by participating in educational workshops and conferences.
The IT services manager job requires a Bachelor’s degree in a computer related discipline such as computer science, information technology, or information science to qualify to work as one.
Prior experience in the field of information technology is also necessary to work in the position.
Some of the major qualities needed for success on the job include management, computer, and analytical skills.
IT Services Manager Job Description Example/Template
The job description example below will be useful to you as a hiring manager looking to employ a good services manager in your IT department.
It shows the major tasks, duties, and responsibilities IT services managers normally carry out in most firms where they work.
- Set and enforce policies/procedures for computer systems operation and data processing
- Oversee the hiring and training of IT service technicians and operators
- Direct the operations of IT service representatives to ensure effective performance of job duties
- Ensure the availability of required hardware, software, and other tools necessary for the delivery of high quality IT service
- Carry out analysis of an organization’s IT structure to identify operational leaks and effect strategies for improved processes
- Conduct inspections to ensure IT equipment and workstations are operational
- Oversee the maintenance, repair or replacement of faulty machines
- Communicate with clients to identify their requirements and facilitate the process for meeting their needs
- Conduct forecasts in order to identify possible future IT challenges and take necessary steps in minimizing risks
- Work around annual budgets to achieve set objectives and targets
- Maintain an up-to-date knowledge of hardware, software and general IT systems by studying relevant publications and participating in educational programs
- Oversee the installation and setup of IT workstations and network
- Supervise the activities of customer service team to ensure compliance with set customer service standards and procedures
- Maintain accurate inventory of hardware, software, and other relevant technological tools
- Proffer recommendations to management on appropriate action plans for improved services
- Ensure the security and integrity of information database.
IT Service Manager Resume Preparation
If you are making a resume for a new IT services manager job, you will need to include the job experience section in it.
This is where you show employers the functions of the position that you have done before.
The duties and responsibilities highlighted in the sample IT services manager job description given above can assist you to quickly and easily create the work experience section of your resume, which shows prospective employers that you will be able to handle the tasks that will be assigned to you.
Requirements – Skills, Abilities, and Knowledge – for IT Service Manager Role
If you are thinking of working as an IT services manager and excelling in it, here are important skills and qualities you need to have; they are usually required by employers when hiring for the role:
- Education and Training: To become an IT service manager, you require a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in computer science, information technology, information science, or in a related computer disciplines. At least 5 years of experience in an information technology field is also required. Having certifications from recognized institutions also increases job prospects
- Management Skills: IT service managers are able to coordinate the operations of an organization’s IT service unit to achieve set objectives
- Computer Skills: They are skilled in operating, installing, and troubleshooting computer systems and network to ensure efficient IT operations
- Analytical Skills: IT service managers are able to carry out tests to identify performance leaks in an IT structure.
IT Service Manager Skills for Resume
Another section to have in a resume for an IT services manager job is the skills section where you let the employer know of the skills and qualities that you have to be able to excel on the job if hired.
To create an effective skills section, you can apply the required qualities for the IT services manager job given above after you have actually acquired them.
Having such skills section will make your resume more appealing to employers as they can see that you have the qualities to succeed as an IT services manager.
If you are hiring for the position of IT services manager, the job description template for the role given above will be useful to you in making a suitable work description for your business for recruiting qualified individuals and assigning duties to them.
Individuals interested in the job of an IT services manager will get their knowledge of the position improved by the duties, tasks, and responsibilities they handle as highlighted in this post.
Did you learn more about what IT service managers do from this post? Please give your views about this post in the comment box below.
Job Assessment Tests: How to Top Your Competition
As part of the hiring process, most applicants that passed the initial Resume/CV screening phase are required to pass an assessment test for the job or apprenticeship position they are applying for.
The goal of this phase is to determine if the candidate has the appropriate set of skills and qualities to excel on the job.
Find out the tests you will be needing to take for the position you are applying for; get lots of success proven Practice materials to prepare with now: Sure way to make high scores in job tests.