This post presents exhaustive information on the human resources associate job description, including the key duties, tasks, and responsibilities they commonly perform.
It also highlights major requirements you may be expected to fulfill to be hired for the human resources associate role by most recruiters/employers.
What Does a Human Resources Associate Do?
A human resources associate is primarily involved in the entirety of recruiting, hiring of the staff and employees of a company, and verifying the background of applicants usually through contacting their referees.
The human resources associate job description entails managing and organizing the personnel department of their company and also offering assistance to employees when it comes to the management of their salaries and other benefits (by explaining what they are all about) that accrue to them.
The human resources associate plays a very vital role in the recruitment of new staff, putting up adverts for job vacancies, screening of job applications, setting of dates for interviews, and creating and updating of job descriptions (for job adverts).
He/she helps in maintaining the confidence of the manager(s) or employees by making sure that information kept in the human resources unit is confidential always.
He/she generally maintains records in the HR department which normally includes applicants’ logs and applications.
The HR associate creates and administers new programs for new employees like orientation and training(s).
He/she sets up programs that help in increasing the chances of retaining already existing employees, and is also responsible for settling of disputes and misunderstandings amongst employees.
His/her work description also involves helping the human resources manager in their day to day activities, like in examining employee performance through their records to determine specific areas in which employees could improve their skills while on the job.
He/she also helps the HR manager in drawing up succession plans, and makes use of their knowledge of the company’s future needs to create new career paths for employees that show traits of determination and growth.
Human resources associates assist in making sure that the relationship between employees and employers is always cordial. They achieve this by contributing in one way or the other to the designing of effective strategies that strengthen employee relations.
They are basically involved in making sure that personnel in the company do work in an environment that is safe and free from all forms of discrimination or harassment.
The role of the associate on a general note is primarily to assist the human resources director or manager to keep employee information in check.
Common duties that are being carried out by human resources associates may vary from time to time. These may involve receiving and transfer of phone calls, creation and distribution of documents and circulars, and data entry, and in some cases, providing customer service if need be.
Writing of reports and the preparation of presentations for managers is also part of the description of most human resources associates.
Human Resources Associate Job Description Example/Template
Human resources associates perform various functions in the HR department.
The job description example shown below highlights typical duties, tasks, and responsibilities commonly performed by human resources associates in most companies:
- Involved in the day-to-day operations of the company
- Place adverts when there are job vacancies or openings
- Screen applicants’ applications to determine those that are in line with or followed the stated application procedure
- Schedule and conduct interviews for the company as at when due
- Engage in the training of newly recruited staff so as to ensure that they are properly guided and are in the know of company rules and regulations
- Take part in the training of existing staff to help in their development and to be abreast with current company processes, procedures, and policies
- Disperse circulars and notifications for meetings
- Schedule and Lead inter-departmental meetings within the company
- Carry out conflict resolution amongst employees.
Requirements – Skills, Abilities, and Knowledge – for Human Resources Associate job
To work as a human resources associate in most firms will require having the following skills, qualities, and qualifications to be considered for an interview:
- Must possess good communication and interpersonal skills to be able to effectively pass information across various units of the company
- Ability to work as part of a team, and in some cases to also lead a team
- Leadership and organizational abilities are required to be good on the job
- Must be able to display a high level of adaptability in any given situation
- Must be meticulous in handling assignments and be able to pay attention to details
- Analytical, problem solving and conflict resolution abilities are highly necessary for any human resources associate to be able to operate effectively
- A Bachelor’s degree in human resources or in any other business-related field
- 1-2 years of relevant experience in a human resources unit
- Any other form of human resources certification is also a plus.
If you are an employer looking to recruit for the human resources associate role, you can create an effective description for the job by applying the sample job description provided in this post.
Posting a great work description together with the job advert can help you attract the best people for the position, which makes your offer successful in getting quality employees to your organization.
And if you are thinking of becoming an HR associate, the content of this post provides you the information you need to know what the career entails, and to decide if it’s what you want to do.