Hotel Housekeeping Job Description, Duties, and Responsibilities
What Does a Hotel Housekeeper Do?
A hotel housekeeper is responsible for ensuring rooms and other areas of a hotel are kept clean everyday.
A hotel housekeeping job description usually entails making beds, replacing used towels with new ones, vacuuming carpets, and cleaning and disinfecting bathrooms and ensuring new toiletries provided by the hotel are placed at appropriate places.
The housekeeper is particularly expected to carry out a series of cleaning functions when a guest leaves the hotel, such as changing bed sheets and polishing the furniture to keep them looking good for the use of another guest.
The housekeeper should also look out for items the guest may have left behind and take it to the lost and found desk where it will be returned to the owner.
The role of the housekeeper in the operation of a hotel also entails observing the condition of the room they are cleaning to be sure everything is okay in the room, including the light bulbs.
Where they find the light is bad or furniture needing repair, they should immediately contact the technical or maintenance department to fix them.
Aside from the rooms, hotel housekeeping may also entail making the general hotel environment appealing and comfortable to guests.
The housekeeper work description may therefore also involve keeping conference rooms, lobby, hallways, and the carpets found in the stairs clean by vacuuming them. It may also involve cleaning the furniture and windows.
Housekeepers may also work in a hotel’s laundry department where they wash and dry linens like towels and sheets and restock linen carts in addition to their cleaning duties.
For big hotels, you can find housekeepers who work solely in the laundry department and others performing only cleaning functions, while in smaller hotels housekeepers may be required to combine laundry duties with cleaning tasks.
Hotel Housekeeping Job Description Example/Sample/Template
Hotel housekeepers perform various functions to keep hotel rooms and its environment clean, attractive, and comfortable to guests.
The following is a job description example that shows major tasks, duties, and responsibilities that commonly define the role of housekeepers in most hotels:
- Answer immediately to request from guests, as well as from other departments
- Load cart with supplies such as linens and move it to the required area
- Enter guest rooms by adhering to proper procedures and ensure they are vacant
- Replace used amenities in guest rooms
- Provide clean linens and terry for dirty ones
- Fold terry, make beds, and ensure bathrooms are clean
- Take away, room service items, dirty linen, and trash
- Perform check on all room appliances to ensure they are in good working condition
- Adjust furniture, desk items, and appliances when necessary
- Dust furnishings and walls and remove marks from them
- Carry out floor care duties in hallway and guest rooms, and vacuum carpets
- Adhere to all safety, security, and company procedures and policies
- Provide immediate report of any safety hazards, injuries, maintenance problem, or accidents to the supervisor
- Successfully complete training and certification programs in safety
- Ensure flammable materials are properly stored
- Keep uniform clean and make sure to appear professional always
- Keep proprietary information confidential
- Ensure company standards are followed in welcoming and acknowledging all guests
- Expect service needs of guests and provide them even before called upon to do so
- Provide assistance to guests with disabilities
- Genuinely appreciate and thank guests for their visit
- Apply professional language in communicating with guests and other people
- Provide support to team to achieve common goals
- Maintain quality standards and expectations
- Without assistance, carry, place, move, or lift objects weighing up to 25 pounds; with assistance for items beyond 25 pounds.
Requirements – Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities – for Hotel Housekeeper Role
If you are applying to work as a hotel housekeeper, here are typical requirements and qualifications you will need to satisfy for most hotels to consider hiring you:
- Strong ability to pull and push work-related equipment, such as a loaded housekeeping cart over uneven and sloping surfaces
- Ability to bend, twist, stoop, and pull
- Ability to sit, stand, walk, or kneel for a long period of time
- Ability to manipulate, turn, and grasp objects of different sizes and weights
- Strong hand-eye coordination and motor skills
- Strong ability to follow verbal instructions
- Strong knowledge of cleaning supplies and procedures
- Ability to work independently without direct supervision
- Possess high school diploma or its equivalent educational level
- Previous cleaning experience may be an advantage sometimes, but not generally required
- To be hired for this job, most employers may require you take and pass certain assessment tests.
If you are looking to hire people for a housekeeping position in your hotel, the job description sample provided in this post will help you create a detailed and effective description for the job, which will increase your chances of attracting the best people for the position.
This post is also beneficial for people who are interested in becoming a housekeeper in the hotel industry. They will learn all they need to about the duties and responsibilities of hotel housekeepers, which makes them better prepared for the job.
Did this post help you learn about what hotel housekeepers do? Please, share your thought about this article in the comment box below. Do also share your job description if you work in the housekeeping unit of a hotel.
Job Assessment Tests: How to Top Your Competition
As part of the hiring process, most applicants that passed the initial Resume/CV screening phase are required to pass an assessment test for the job or apprenticeship position they are applying for.
The goal of this phase is to determine if the candidate has the appropriate set of skills and qualities to excel on the job.
Find out the tests you will be needing to take for the position you are applying for; get lots of success proven Practice materials to prepare with now: Sure way to make high scores in job tests.