Home Depot Lumber Sales Associate Job Description, Key Duties and Responsibilities
This post provides exhaustive information on the job description of a lumber sales associate at the Home Depot to help boost your knowledge of what they do.
It highlights the major duties and responsibilities that typically make up the Home Depot lumber sales associate work description.
Please, read on:
What does a Home Depot Lumber Sales Associate Do?
The lumber associate adheres to the firm’s high standards of customer service. They guarantee that all logging transactions are completed quickly and correctly.
They must have a thorough understanding of the product, its use and installation.
The sales associate is in charge in keeping the display area clear of all lumber products.
He or she also ensures that it is replenished when needed, in accordance with guidelines set by Home Depot.
This includes not only lumber but power tools and hardware as well.
The lumber associate ensures that all buyers are measured for proper lumber dimensions or have lumber cut so they can be properly loaded into their vehicle.
He or she also helps load the lumber into the truck or trailer.
The associate must be able to work in a team environment, and also have excellent communication skills.
He or she must ensure that all customer complaints are documented and referred to management, while at the same time preventing any theft activities from occurring within their area of responsibility.
The Home Depot lumber sales associates are also required to maintain all power equipment, including the outdoor saws.
They help plan out stock levels for each department.
They are also responsible for ensuring supplies are available at all times to meet customer needs.
The lumber sales associate must follow all company safety regulations, including wearing proper footwear, gloves, goggles and other required PPE at all times.
The lumber associate maintains records of what lumber was used during each transaction as well as ensuring the proper tax collected on the total.
They are required to maintain thorough knowledge of all products available for sale in the store.
It is their responsibility to ensure that all lumberyards are in compliance with safety regulations.
These include wearing protective gear and maintaining the yard in a safe manner according to company guidelines.
They must also use current promotions in regards to sales transactions, applying these discounts when necessary.
The sales associate is expected to keep the lumberyard in a neat and orderly condition, with all lumber racks being free of dirt and debris.
They must have complete knowledge of all taxes associated with different products that are sold in-store.
Maintaining records is also a duty that the lumber sales associate is responsible for at the Home Depot at least once a week.
This includes recording the type of lumber used on each transaction, as well as ensuring that all taxes are applied correctly.
The sales associate must also assist customers who wish to plan their own installation under direct supervision either in-store or on location.
Keeping logs on inventory is another responsibility for this job role, along with knowing how to order the products required to meet customer demands.
The Home Depot lumber sales associate is responsible for cutting boards to size if necessary and helping customers load their lumber into trucks or trailers.
Lumber associates also assist in training new hires during training days, working alongside a lead or higher-level manager to review all company policies.
They are responsible for using current sales promotions in regards to lumber transactions.
Home Depot Lumber Sales Associate Job Description Example/Sample/Template
The major duties, tasks, and responsibilities that characterize the Home Depot lumber sales associate job description include:
- Interacting with customers to answer questions
- Assisting the customer in making their purchase decisions
- Taking inventory of lumber products on hand, replenishing shelves to ensure good customer service by keeping all displayed materials stocked and well organized
- Keeping aisles or work areas as clean as possible
- Operating material handling equipment such as forklifts, reach trucks, and order pickers to move product around the warehouse
- Using measuring devices such as tape measures, callipers, rulers, and levels to verify dimensions on materials being stocked on shelves or loaded into vehicles
- Ensuring the accuracy of receiving reports by inspecting materials as they are delivered and verifying that stock levels reflect existing inventory
- Checking store signage for display repair and maintenance.
Home Depot Lumber Sales Associate Requirements: Abilities, Knowledge, and Skills for Career Success
Here are major requirements you may be expected to fulfil by Home Depot or other employers/recruiters to be hired for the lumber sales associate position:
- Applicants must be 18 years or older, possess a High School diploma or equivalent, and have no felony convictions on their criminal record
- Candidates must be able to work according to schedules that are set for each department, including rotating Saturdays
- They must have excellent communication skills in order to sell the products that are available for sale at Home Depot
- Lumber sales associates must also be physically active throughout the day, which involves extensive walking and standing when necessary
- Applicants must have a thorough knowledge of lumber and various types of wood products
- They are required to wear company uniform during work hours
- Capable of lifting 70 lbs. without any assistance, and be able to work in a kneeling, stooping or bending position
- The lumber associate may have to do some physical labor because all loading/unloading of materials are done by themselves, as well as stocking items on the shelves
- The employee must be able to work a flexible schedule, including nights, weekends and holidays as management requires
- From time to time, the lumber associate may have to travel overnight from one branch location to another for training or business purposes
- You do not need any prior experience necessary but they are preferred to have experience in a customer service or retail setting
- You must be able to read, write or understand English well enough to perform the duties of the position.
Home Depot Lumber Sales Associate Salary
The Home Depot lumber sales associate salary is around $12/hr according to information posted on Glassdoor website, which can go up depending on your experience level.
The salary can range between $9 and $18 depending on a number of factors.
The lumber sales associate at Home Depot is a demanding, but rewarding position. As a lumber sales associate you will be expected to provide customers with exceptional service and knowledge of the latest trends in building materials.
You’ll also need to have an eye for detail as well as the ability to multitask among many different tasks throughout your day.
If you are interested in the lumber sales associate’s career with the Home Depot or other like retailers, this post has helped you to know the kind of duties and responsibilities you will be expected to perform.
Recruiters/employers in the retail industry looking to hire for a lumber sales associate position in their companies can create a detailed job description for the position by applying the sample Home Depot lumber sales associate job description provided on this page.
They can use the job description created in their hiring process to find the right person for the vacant lumber sales associate role in their companies.