Electrical Engineer Job Description Example
What Does an Electrical Engineer Do?
An electrical engineer is someone who creates, designs, and maintains electrical systems and their components in line with stipulated specifications, paying attention to functionality, safety, quality, and reliability for the effective operation of the systems.
The job description of the electrical engineer in most firms entails being part of a project right from its conception and planning through to its testing and implementation stages.
He/she will be required to also make some inputs on the maintenance programs of such works. Such inputs usually cut across different stages of the work, but in some cases, electrical engineers are specialized on particular stages, depending on the requirements of the job.
The role of electrical engineers in a firm may also include working closely with clients. They will take job specifications from clients, and ensure the job comes out to the client’s satisfaction.
In working on a client’s job, the engineer is free to use his/her discretion when necessary to alter the client’s initial specification, for the job to come out even better than what the client wanted.
However, if there are any changes to be made to what the client had earlier specified, it is the responsibility of the engineer to inform the client of the change and get their approval to go ahead to effect it.
Seeking and getting customers’ consent to make a change in their job specification is important to the engineer to prevent cases of having dissatisfied customers after the job is completed.
The electrical engineer is a “creator” of some sort. He/she is skilled in designing systems required in the execution of jobs.
They are required to exhibit a high level of creativity in constructing electrical instruments and systems that fit into the job specification.
Electrical Engineer Job Description Example
An example of the job description normally executed by electrical engineers in most firms is provided below. It shows the day to day duties, tasks, and responsibilities of individuals who hold the position.
- Read design specifications carefully to have a good understanding of what clients want. This is key to getting the job done to the client’s satisfaction. On the other hand, if the engineer didn’t fully understand what exactly is expected of them, they will end up doing the wrong thing, resulting in wasting of time and resources, leaving the client displeased with the job
- Carry out research on job specification to be able to determine the necessary requirements and solutions for producing the best quality work, and to also be able to make the right estimate of production cost to have a comprehensive budget
- Create models and product prototypes with the use of a three dimensional design software, to obtain durability and good quality
- Relate with others in the design team to get the latest design technologies and innovations that will make the job better and faster
- Communicate with clients and contractors for updates on the job, and for solutions to job challenges
- Troubleshoot faulty systems to identify problems and carry out repairs on them to ensure smooth operations
- Try newly developed systems for functionality and ensure that all “nuts” are tied before taking them out for use. When systems are malfunctioning, electrical engineers make modifications and carry out retesting until they are satisfied with their performance
- Document product design methods and write detailed reports for empirical studies and future referencing
- Evaluate series of electrical applications and systems and formulate research programs to determine their level of efficiency in accordance with professional ethics and standards
- Comply with federal and state laws in designing and implementing electrical systems to protect the image of the organization and prevent a clampdown by the authorities
- Obtain legal approvals before embarking on specific design projects and implementation to avoid sanctions due to breach of law
- Observe manufacturer’s instructions in operating systems, to keep them functional, and to prevent avoidable breakdowns
- Apply maintenance techniques on systems to keep them running
Electrical Engineer Resume Production
The production of a resume for the position of electrical engineer can be aided by using the sample job description for the position given above in preparing the professional experience section of the resume. This section, which states the functions and responsibilities of the position, tells the employer that you are competent for the job.
Requirements – Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities – for Electrical Engineer Role
To be effective on the role of electrical engineer in a company, you will need to have the following skills and knowledge base:
- Strong knowledge of electrical operations
- Ability to troubleshoot electrical systems to identify problems
- Strong attention to detail to understand clients’ design specifications
- Creativity to be able to come up with new and different designs
- Strong ability to handle difficult situations related to the job
- Strong ability in conducting research to obtain facts
- Ability to analyze and interpret electrical data.
Best Health and Safety Certification Courses
If you are in or seeking a job in a field where
health and safety at workplace is a concern, like the construction industry, then you will need to complete a relevant course or two to gain the required knowledge and meet the OSHA requirements or other requirements.
>> OSHA 30 Hour Construction Industry Outreach Training Course
Job Assessment Tests: How to Top Your Competition
As part of the hiring process, most applicants that passed the initial Resume/CV screening phase are required to pass an assessment test for the job or apprenticeship position they are applying for.
The goal of this phase is to determine if the candidate has the appropriate set of skills and qualities to excel on the job.
Find out the tests you will be needing to take for the position you are applying for; get lots of success proven Practice materials to prepare with now: Sure way to make high scores in job tests.