Director of Construction Job Description, Key Duties and Responsibilities
This post provides complete information on the job description of a director of construction, to help increase your knowledge of what they do.
It presents the key tasks, duties, and responsibilities that typically make up the director of construction work description.
It also highlights the major requirements you will be expected to meet by recruiters/employers to be hired for a director of construction role.
Please, read on to learn more about the director of construction career:
What Does a Director of Construction Do?
The director of construction job description entails overseeing and handling various parts of construction projects, such as planning, directing, coordinating the activities of workers, choosing contractors, and monitoring performance.
He/she is also saddled with the responsibility of coordinating construction projects and ensuring that everything goes according to plan from conception to completion.
In other words, a director of construction refers to one whose profession is to plan a variety of construction projects and monitor their progress along the way in an efficient, timely, and cost-effective manner.
A director of construction is responsible for overseeing the completion of construction projects by handling planning, budgeting, and making key decisions to ensure that construction projects are in conformity with the proposed budget and are completed on time.
Some of the duties that may be executed by a director of construction include directing and monitoring construction projects from conception to completion, examining project in-depth to scheduling deliverables and estimating costs, and coordinating and directing construction workers and subcontractors.
In the process of discharging his or her duties, a director of construction is expected and required to carry out a wide range of core tasks in his/her daily activities.
One of the important tasks that are carried out by a director of construction is to review the whole construction process and make schedules.
This involves overseeing the construction project from the conception phase to the construction phase and coordinating deadlines to make sure that the project is completed within the stipulated timeframe.
He/she is also saddled with the responsibility of evaluating and determining costs by preparing a budget, showing both soft and hard costs and coming up with ways to reduce budgets, such as utilizing alternative building materials when necessary.
It is also the duty of a director of construction to negotiate contracts, which involves negotiating contracts with vendors and other professionals, and renegotiating contracts with contractors and subcontractors when changes occur.
Directors of construction may also be required to attend and proactively participate in construction meetings so as to communicate with staff, supervisors, and other parties involved in the construction project to discuss budgets, plans, and goals.
To work in the position of a director of construction, individuals are required to possess certain skills and qualities.
These include excellent time management skills, verbal and written communication skills, and good teamwork skills.
Others are strong interpersonal skills, good decision-making skills, and good physical strength and stamina; good project management skills, good leadership skills, and ability to pay particular attention to detail.
In terms of educational requirements, individuals seeking the director of construction role are expected to have at least a Bachelor’s degree in Architecture, Engineering, or in any other construction-related field.
Director of Construction Salary: The average salary for a director of construction, according to Payscale, is $120,861 annually.
Director of Construction Job Description Example/Sample/Template
Directors of construction perform the tasks, duties, and responsibilities:
- Carry out a review of work progress on a regular basis
- Oversee and handle the negotiation of terms of agreements, drafting of contracts, and the acquisition of permits and licenses
- Analyze , manage, and mitigate risks
- Make sure that construction standards are of high quality and also ensure the use of proper construction techniques
- Plan, as well as make decisions to prevent problems and any emerging ones
- Coordinate and direct the activities of construction workers and subcontractors.
Director of Construction Job Description for Resume
If you are making a new resume as one who has worked previously as a director of construction, or are presently working in that role, you can enhance the effectiveness of your resume by showing that work experience in it.
With the professional or work experience section, you can effectively show to the recruiter/employer that you have been successful performing the director of construction duties and responsibilities.
Having this information in your resume/CV can greatly help to influence the recruiter/employer to grant you an interview, which increases your chances of being hired.
You can create an effective professional experience section for your resume/CV by applying the director of construction job description example provided above.
Director of Construction Requirements: Knowledge, Abilities, Skills for Career Success
If you are seeking to work as a director of construction, here are major requirements recruiters/employers may want you to fulfill to be hired:
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, since a director of construction may be required to interact with vendors, contractors, and subcontractors, as well as construction workers
- Strong ability to review and negotiate contracts
- Strong interpersonal skills, as these enable him/her to work efficiently and effectively with other professionals
- Excellent time management skills, since construction projects must be completed within a given timeframe
- Good decision-making skills, as these enable a director of construction to make effective plans and decisions to avoid problems, as well as solve emerging ones
- Good physical strength and stamina, since he/she may be required to move from one place to another on the construction site and also endure long hours of work
- Good project management skills, since a director of construction must understand the scope of the project and evaluate data to determine the needs of the project
- Minimum of High School diploma or a Bachelor’s degree in Architecture, Engineering, or in any other construction-related field.
This post is helpful to individuals interested in the director of construction career; they will be able to learn about the duties and responsibilities that make up the career.
This will enable them to decide if the director of construction career is what they want to do.
It is also useful to recruiters/employers who are looking to find and hire the best candidate for the vacant director of construction role in their company.
They can apply the sample director of construction job description above in creating a detailed description of the vacant job for use in the hiring process.