Debt Recovery Agent Job Description, Key Duties and Responsibilities
This post provides exhaustive information on the job description of a debt recovery agent, to help you understand what they do.
It highlights the key duties, tasks, and responsibilities that typically make up the debt recovery agent work description in most organizations.
It also presents the major requirements most employers/recruiters will expect you to meet to qualify for the debt recovery agent position.
Please, continue reading to increase your knowledge of the debt recovery agent career:
What Does a Debt Recovery Agent Do?
A debt recovery agent is one who is employed and empowered by an organization to attempt collection of debt by all legal and possible means.
They work on behalf of the organization and serve as intermediaries or middlemen between the organization and debtors of the organization.
Debt recovery agents reach out to customers to collect payment for overdue bills, loans, or other payments.
They manage overdue accounts in the organization.
They remind customers of their outstanding and long overdue bills that are unpaid.
This they do via phones calls, emails, and any other means as may apply.
They try to persuade debtors who might be late or non-compliant on the need to pay off their debt.
They reach an agreement with debtors and establish a good atmosphere where debts can be paid or collected without generating issues in the long run.
Debt recovery agents apart from working for organizations, they could also work for attorneys who collect debts on behalf of creditors and companies who specialize in buying off debts from different companies.
Debt Recovery Agent Job Description Example/Sample/Template
Below are the major duties, tasks, and responsibilities that commonly make up a debt recovery agent job description:
- Review the details and terms of sales and loans
- Produce reports for the management of the organization
- Remove the names of deceased people from records
- Follow established federal and state laws on debt recovery
- Purge debts when fully recovered
- Initiate steps for debt collection using the most viable means employable
- Send reports of statements of delinquencies to credit bureau office
- Record any new commitment to recover debt
- Initiate repayment plans and new terms of sale for debtors of the organization
- Collect payments on behalf of the organization
- Create and keep record of people owing the organization
- Organize the list according to the magnitude of the debts owed the organization
- Use available database to track customers or individuals who owe the organization
- Keep in touch with customers owing the organization
- Make use of computer to handle skip tracing
- Ensure accurate record of debtors’ basic information
- Listen to debtors or customers of the organization to know how to go about the debt
- Give viable options to debtors of the organization on how to pay up their debts
- Could offer advice or refer debtors to counselors for proper guidance
- Analyze and resolve discrepancies
- Entertain questions and complaints from debtors
- Create an atmosphere of trust with the debtors to prevent future problems
- Update accounts and databases regularly for the organization
- Maintain a high level of confidentiality of the organization with its customers/debtors
- Could assistant the organization in resorting to legal actions if need be
- Maintain customer policies and procedures.
Debt Recovery Agent Job Description for Resume
If you are writing a resume as someone who is currently working as a debt recovery agent or has had some experience working in that position, you can easily create the professional or work experience section of the resume by applying the sample job description provided above.
The professional experience part of your resume helps you to effectively assure the employer/recruiter that since you have successfully carried out the responsibilities and duties of a debt recovery agent before, you will be effective in performing the functions of the role in the new organization if hired.
Debt Recovery Agent Requirements – Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities for a Career Success
Here are major requirements most recruiters/employers may want you to meet to be hired if you are seeking to work as a debt recovery agent:
- Education: For this job, a minimum of High School diploma and a rudimentary knowledge of bookkeeping is a must.
Also, certifications and sufficient knowledge of accounting will be appreciated.
In addition, trainings on communication could be handy in this job.
Additional certificates on business related courses would be highly appreciated too.
- Experience: 1-3 years of experience on the debt recovery agent job or a similar one will be highly regarded.
This is because this job will require lots of experience in debt recovery and relationship building in the process.
- Knowledge: A prospective debt recovery agent should be well knowledgeable in business and accounting.
He/she should boast of adequate knowledge of business operations and management.
- Computer skills: The least acceptable computer skill needed for this job is a good knowledge of MS Office and database applications of different types.
Skills: To work as a debt recovery agent will require the skills below:
- Excellent communication skills
- Good negotiation skills and persuasion
- Empathy and sympathy
- Ability to use major database software tools
- Ability to meet deadlines and handle multiple tasks simultaneously
- Great planning and multitasking skills to ensure delivery of excellent jobs
- Interpersonal skills
- Great persistence amid pressure
- Ability to work independently and also in a group
- Creativity to help proffer solutions outside lawsuits
- Good listening skills
- Attention to details
- Great time management skills
- Good customer services skills
- Strong ability to adapt quickly and work effectively in a fast paced environment
- Great analytical skills to help reason and think out a way forward with each unique case.
- Professionalism: The work of a debt recovery agent is quite a tricky one which demands professional attitude at every point in this job.
A debt recovery agent must present themselves professional to both the organization they work for and the customers of the organization.
They can consider themselves as the representative of the organization and as such should treat the customers the way the organization in itself will want the customers to be treated.
This post is helpful to individuals interested in the debt recovery agent career, to learn the duties and responsibilities that characterize the role.
With this knowledge they will be able to make the right decision about becoming a debt recovery agent.
You will also find this page helpful if you are a recruiter/employer needing to make a job description for the debt recovery agent position for use in finding competent hands for the role in your organization.
You can apply the debt recovery agent job description example provided above to quickly create a suitable description of the role in your organization.