This post provides detailed information on the job description of a database developer, to help you learn what they do.
It highlights the key duties, tasks, and responsibilities that majorly make up the database developer work description.
What Does a Database Developer Do?
A database developer has the responsibility to provide database and application solution strategy, technical design, architecture, and support for carrying out the implementation of enterprise database development.
The database developer job description entails incorporating commercial off the shelf (COTS) solutions with an organization’s internally created software solutions and legacy IT systems.
He/she works with the leadership of the functional team in assessing requirements and providing technical assistance for architecting, executing and developing the right database architecture.
He/she focuses on database modeling, optimization, modernization, and performance improvement.
To be effective on their roles, database developers must have a good knowledge of regularly used concepts, practices, procedures, and processes within the industry or field they are working in.
They must also be able to follow instructions and standard guidelines, which are needed to effectively perform the duties of the position.
The tasks of the database developer include reviewing and analyzing, as well as modifying programming systems. They are also responsible for encoding, testing, debugging, and documenting programs.
Writing codes for database access, adjustments, and creations; as well as for stored procedures, are also part of the functions of this position.
Other duties the developer performs include identifying data sources, constructing data decomposition diagrams, providing data flow diagrams, and documenting the process.
Database Developer Job Description Example/Sample/Template
The database developer works in various sectors, performing a variety of tasks and responsibilities.
Below is a sample database developer job description showing a list of key duties commonly performed by individuals holding the position.
- Responsible for designing, coding, and implementing software solutions using modern techniques and programming language
- Provides high-level database development assistance in creating specific applications for businesses
- Provides general support on information technology to design, develop, execute, and maintain the database application systems, applying several RDBMS
- Ensures research and innovation at all levels of the software development process
- May participate in multiple projects simultaneously as a senior development team member
- Works harmoniously in a cross-functional team comprising managers, supervisors, business analysts, systems personnel, network staff, and other developers in ensuring the delivery of software solutions as planned, within set budget, and timely
- Functions as technical architect and Subject Matter Expert (SME) on enterprise related software systems
- Performs the role of the principal designer responsible for complex systems and their subsystems employing deep knowledge of current technology and tools, as well as relevant systems that are already existing
- Works with agency clients and ETS personnel to determine and state highly complicated business requirements and processes
- Acts as a coach or mentor to junior software developers
- Provides excellent customer service by responding to and assisting with help desk calls to resolving issues, including system outages
- Performs administrative duties as well as some project management tasks.
Making a Resume for the Database Developer Position
Writing a resume to be used in seeking a job as database developer requires a good knowledge of the functions of the position.
This will ensure the resume communicates adequate knowledge, experience and competence to be able to effectively perform the duties and responsibilities of the position.
The job description above shows good examples of the functions and responsibilities database developers perform in the organizations they work for, which can be modified and adapted in preparing a resume for the role.
Requirements – Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities – for the Post of Database Developer
Database developers are usually required to possess certain experiences, knowledge, and skills, which help them to achieve success on the job.
Below are some of the important attributes a database developer is expected to have to qualify for the job and be hired by most employers:
- Possess extensive experience with Transact-SQL
- Experience working with MS SQL Server, NoSQL DBA, and MySQL
- Sound knowledge of traditional as well as agile software development methodologies
- Knowledge of Scrum methodology of agile software development and its application
- Ability to apply an object-oriented programming language in creating applications
- Strong ability to carry out research and innovation
- Strong knowledge of systems and software development lifecycles; application integration techniques; and relational database design
- Outstanding spatially enabled enterprise applications creation and maintenance skill
- Sound knowledge and experience working with software application and database design ideas
- Experience in creating rich user interface web designs
- Excellent skill in communicating orally and in writing with people
- Excellent troubleshooting ability
- Proficient working on various projects together at the same time and achieving resounding success
- Highly effective working in a team, as well as working independently
- Possess a Bachelor’s degree commonly in Computer Technology or in a related field
- One to two years working experience in a software development environment.