This post provides detailed information on the customer service lead job description, including the key duties, tasks, and responsibilities they commonly perform.
It also highlights the major requirements you may be asked to meet to be hired for the customer service lead role.
What Does a Customer Service Lead Do?
A customer service lead is responsible for ensuring the smooth running of a company’s customer service department.
The customer service lead job description involves ensuring that customers are treated with respect, and are dealt with courteously at all times.
It also entails interacting with customers on a regular basis, listening to and understanding their needs and problems, while also offering advice or recommendations to resolve issues that may arise using the in-house procedures.
The customer service lead provides customers with information about products and services.
It is also their duty to deal with enquiries from customers.
They are expected to provide guidance and support to other members of staff and help them to solve problems.
Customer service leads help new team members understand their roles and responsibilities, applying best practice in the resolution of customer queries, and ensuring adherence to internal protocols, such as quality standards and compliance with new legislations that may be applicable in the provision of services or goods.
They may be required to ensure that other team members adhere to procedures relating to carrying out both telephone or face-to-face sales calls, or being on hand at the front desk greeting customers when they arrive at the premises.
It is also their responsibility to manage the customer log and ensure that it is kept up to date, including any deadlines that may apply.
The customer service lead work description also entails operating the telephone system and its internal databases and ensuring a timely and accurate receipt of update regarding customers entering or leaving the store.
It also entails preparing documentation and reports for management as required, including details of complaints received.
The customer service lead will also produce statistical data on customers and transactions at stores to track trends and make improvements where necessary in the future.
Customer Service Lead Job Description Sample/Example/Template
The customer service lead job description consists of the following duties, tasks, and responsibilities:
- Interacts with customers to understand the company’s problems and wants
- Keeps record of all customer contacts so that these can be used for later reference
- Analyses customer complaints and contacts suppliers to discuss noticeable concerns
- Keeps a log of problems that have been dealt with and sends this back to the customer on request
- Works closely with the sales team in order to ensure that problems encountered by customers can be handled as quickly as possible
- Manages other members of the customer service team and lead by example, encouraging their co-workers to improve what they do and how they do it
- Swiftly answers questions or concerns they may have
- Provides support and information to the customer service team
- Keeps a detailed record of all customer contacts, this will be used for future reference
- Ensures that noticed problems are analyzed thoroughly then passed onto the appropriate people to resolve them immediately
- Maintains a log of problems in order to ensure that any issue can be dealt with as quickly as possible
- Assists the sales team in any way possible, such as tracking down the source of problems or helping customers and sellers organize payments and deliveries
- Carries out market research to understand exactly what their customers are looking for.
Customer Service Lead Job Description for Resume
If you have worked before as a customer service lead or are currently working in that role and are making a new resume or CV, then you can craft a compelling Professional Experience section for your resume by applying the sample customer service lead job description provided above.
You can express the duties and responsibilities you have carried out or are presently performing as a customer service lead in your resume’s Professional Experience by utilizing the ones in the customer service lead job description sample above.
This will show to the recruiter/employer that you have been successful performing the customer service lead role, which can greatly boost your chances of being hired for the new job that you are seeking, especially if it requires someone with some customer service lead work experience.
Customer Service Lead Requirements: Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities for Career Success
Here are important requirements you may be asked to fulfill by most recruiters/employers to be hired for the customer service lead position:
- Good knowledge of the products/services that are offered by the company
- Ability to communicate effectively with all members of staff, clients, and suppliers in a courteous yet professional manner at all times
- Strong leadership skills in order to help co-workers improve their performance and make sure that they understand exactly what is expected of them on a daily basis
- Ability to deal with different types of customers, such as clients, suppliers, and members of staff alike
- Profound knowledge of the layout and customer flow in a store (internal)
- Ability to treat members of staff fairly and not showing favoritism, thereby encouraging co-workers to be more open to criticism, especially those they may feel they may not have done so well in their work
- Strong computer skills, e.g. ability to apply MS Office
- Ability to effectively follow and interpret written instructions, in order to be able to complete them in a timely manner
- Good working knowledge of any pre-existing systems relating to sales and customer service, as well as any products or services offered by the company (for example: computer software)
- Ability to work well under stressful or difficult circumstances, especially during peak trading hours when customers can sometimes become demanding.
Customer Service Lead Salary
According to Glassdoor, the annual total pay for a customer service lead in the United States is $56,237, with an average salary of $35,119.
The customer service lead position exists within most companies in the retail industry, although exact numbers vary depending on the size of the store.
This role is extremely important because it can make or break a company.
This post is helpful to individuals interested in the customer service lead career.
They will be able to learn all they need to know about the duties and responsibilities of a customer service lead, to rightly decide if that is the job they want to do.
It is also beneficial to recruiters/employers in making a detailed job description for the customer service lead role in their organizations, for use in hiring competent people for the position.