This post presents complete information on the job description of a convenience store assistant manager, to boost your knowledge of the key duties, tasks, and responsibilities they commonly perform.
What Does a Convenience Store Assistant Manager Do?
The convenience store assistant manager is the one who is basically responsible for managing the store when the manager is unavoidably absent. He or she takes over the managerial responsibilities of the store manager.
The job description of the convenience store assistant manager entails performing duties and responsibilities of the manager when he/she is not around.
The assistant is expected to exhibit enthusiasm naturally, and possess a high level of confidence, as well being an individual who is able to work effectively under pressure.
The assistant’s role also includes playing a part in the process of recruiting for the store, interviewing, and training newly employed staff members.
He/she also plays a huge role in accomplishing the goals and objectives of the store.
Assistant managers at convenience stores also coordinate display of products and attend to incoming deliveries as directed by the manager or when he or she is unavoidably absent.
Other duties they perform include assisting in ensuring that everything in the store is running as it should, with no loophole or lapses, so that even if the manager is not present no one would notice any error.
This is one position that is ideal for people who consider themselves reliable, responsible, motivated, and detail- oriented; people with the tendency to be submissive.
Convenience Store Assistant Manager Job Description Example/Sample/Template
The job description example below shows various important duties, tasks, and responsibilities that most assistant managers working in convenience stores usually perform on a day-to-day basis:
- Supervise and direct the activities of other store employees
- Ensure that there is delivery of excellent customer service
- Play a role in recruiting, hiring, training, and development of new employees
- Ensure compliance of employees to company policies and procedures
- Ensure maximization of sales and profitability
- Control expenses
- Maintain inventory and stock levels
- Ensure flawless execution of projects and programs
- Provide directives to sales/cashiers associates as at when necessary
- Investigate inventory variations and shortages
- Ensure proper upkeep of business records
- Create store schedule
- Regularly review cashier accountability sheets and records as prescribed by the store manager
- Perform administrative duties as required by the manager
- Ensure high level of sanitation or cleanliness
- Ensure security and safety of store; complying with all environmental and safety guidelines
- Report any issue of misconduct to management or the appropriate authority
- Head in the identification of operational problems in the store and develop standards, policies, and procedures to handle such
- Develop programs that are geared at fostering high productivity and customer satisfaction, and ensure its execution
- Participate in all programs geared towards employee development
- Directly participate in the merchandising and stocking of the sales floor
- Assign employees to perform specific tasks
- Assist in the development and execution of policies, programs, and practices, with customer satisfaction as the central objective of operation
- Put up daily/weekly work schedules
- Provide courteous and prompt resolution of employee and/or customer issues
- Ensure proper entry of invoices into system
- Ensure proper record keeping and avoidance of wastage
- Develop programs that will provide for optimum security of the assets of the company from all kinds of losses
- Motivate, challenge, as well as encourage other staff members
- Ensure implementation and enforcement of the store’s established daily procedures for operation
- Perform daily computer entry and paperwork
- Conduct meetings with staff members in the absence of the manager
Convenience Store Assistant Manager Job Description for Resume
To prepare a resume for the job of the assistant manager in a convenience store, the job description sample presented above provides the right statements that can be used in making the work experience part of the resume.
The statements show the usual work activities of the position, which you can edit to match your actual experience on the job before using it to completing the job experience section of your resume.
Convenience Store Assistant Requirements: Skills, Abilities, and Knowledge for Career Success
To be successful on the job, the convenience store assistant manager needs to have the following skills and other qualities, which employers also normally require from applicants seeking the position:
- Physically sound, with the ability to perform heavy physical activities occasionally
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in written format
- Ability to meet up with targets and deadlines
- Possess organizational and management skills
- Ability to pay attention to details
- Possess leadership and decision making skills
- Possess planning and time management skills
- Ability to work effectively despite pressure
- Possess flexible on the job and the ability to execute multiple tasks at a time without losing focus
- Must possess an enthusiastic spirit and be friendly and welcoming
- Must be result driven individual with strong customer service skills