Concrete Finisher Job Description, Key Duties and Responsibilities
This post provides exhaustive information on the job description of a concrete finisher, to help you learn the work they do.
It presents the key duties, tasks, and responsibilities that majorly form the concrete finisher work description in most organizations.
It also shows the major requirements recruiters may want you to meet to qualify to be hired for the concrete finisher position:
What Does a Concrete Finisher Do?
A concrete finisher can be described as a professional individual who is in charge of finishing surfaces made from poured concrete with the use of various hand and power tools.
He/she is responsible for carrying out tasks which may include cutting expansion joints, filling voids, repairing the surfaces of concretes, ensuring that surfaces are finished to ensure good looks and avoid slipping, and decorating floors, sidewalks, or roads with stone chips or colored marble.
In other words, a concrete finisher refers to an individual, who is saddled with the responsibility of placing concretes by developing plans, putting concretes into their proper or appropriate place, finishing concrete placements, and repairing concrete when necessary.
The concrete finisher job description entails carrying out several important tasks which may include setting forms, assisting survey crews in the process of setting string line, building forms before the placement of concretes, stripping forms after concrete placement, and several other tasks as required.
Also, a concrete finisher performs the function of regularly utilizing the use of power tools to restructure concrete and smooth it out.
He/she is also responsible for discharging several other important duties such as reading construction plans, including schematics, drawings, and other forms of construction plans, and interpreting them to determine the most effective way to complete jobs.
He/she is also responsible for finishing the top surfaces of concrete with the use of relevant tools and water to arrive at the desired texture.
His/her work description also includes inspecting finished concretes and removing imperfections, positioning concrete trucks on sites by showing the driver where to park so that concrete can be poured in the precise and needed place.
It also involves placing forms to control where concrete is being poured and assisting with the spreading of the concrete as it is being poured to ensure that the finished results will be level.
A concrete finisher is also saddled with the responsibility of moving concrete discharge chute, patching holes, repairing old concrete, cleaning and maintaining tools, and so on.
Individuals who are interested in working as a concrete finisher is expected to possess and demonstrate some necessary skills or attributes such as good communication skills, well-developed physical strength, and highly detail-oriented mind.
They are also expected to have design comprehension, mechanical aptitude, and problem-solving and mathematical skills; project management and the ability to operate various hand and power tools.
In terms of academic qualifications, no degree is required to work in the concrete finisher role.
However, it is important that individuals who want to become a concrete finisher should possess at least a high school diploma or equivalent and several years of previous relevant working experience.
Concrete Finisher Salary: The average annual salary for a concrete finisher is estimated at $49,017.
Concrete Finisher Job Description Example/Sample/Template
Here are major duties, tasks, and responsibilities that typically constitute the concrete finisher job description in most organizations:
- Carrying out correct and accurate measurements to ensure that concrete meet blueprint specs
- Reading blueprints and examining drawings to ensure that they are correct and to also calculate the materials needed
- Creating patterns, forms, or foundations according to plans
- Ensuring that materials are broken or cut into the required size
- Carrying out the cleaning of excess mortar with the use of relevant tools such as trowels and other hand tools
- Executing the construction of corners with a corner pole, or by building a corner pyramid to ensure smoothness and efficiency
- Aligning structures vertically and horizontally
- Filling up expansion joints with the necessary and appropriate caulking materials
- Creating concrete forms and utilizing machinery to direct wet concrete into them
- Waterproofing, finishing and repairing concrete in new and existing structures.
Concrete Finisher Job Description for Resume
If you have worked before as a concrete finisher or are currently working in that position and are writing a new resume, you should have the professional experience section in it, which describes the duties and responsibilities you have performed or are performing as a concrete finisher.
The professional or work experience part of your resume can boost the impact of your resume on the recruiter, to make them give you an interview appointment, especially if the new position you are applying for requires concrete finisher working experience.
You can easily and conveniently make your resume’s professional experience section by applying the concrete finisher job description example above.
Concrete Finisher Requirements – Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities for Career Success
If you are seeking to work as a concrete finisher, here are major requirements most recruiters may want you to meet to qualify for hiring:
- Good communication skills, since construction sites are collaborative environments, a concrete finisher should have good verbal communication skills as many dangers are present at construction sites
- Well-developed physical strength which enables a concrete finisher to work in extreme weather conditions, lift heavy bags of concrete, remain standing for long periods, and work efficiently with his/her hands using several relevant tools
- Highly detail-oriented mind, as a concrete finisher must precisely match concrete floors, identify the imperfections in concrete, and effectively manage his/her tools
- Design comprehension which enables a concrete finisher to be able to read and interpret various kinds of construction plans and drawings
- Good problem-solving skills, as he/she is expected to identify problems and come up with effective solutions or recommendations
- Several years of previous work experience in a relevant field
- At least a high school diploma.
If you are a recruiter or employer seeking to hire for the concrete finisher role, you will need to make and publish the description of the position to inform interested individuals of the duties and responsibilities they will be assigned if hired for the concrete finisher job.
You can apply the sample job description provided above in making the perfect description for the concrete finisher role in your organization.
Individuals interested in the concrete finisher career will also find this post helpful in learning about what they do.