Computer Network Technician Job Description, Duties, and Responsibilities
What Does a Computer Network Technician Do?
A computer network technician is responsible for providing assistance in troubleshooting, installing, and testing network components, PC hardware, and software of his/her organization’s distributed computer system.
His/her job description entails providing functional support in configuring, designing, maintaining, installing, and repairing of network systems and work station, network devices, servers, and network systems.
It also involves providing information, network access connectivity, assistance and/or recommendations concerning desktop configuration and installations.
The computer network technician role also entails providing solutions to various desktop operational challenges and maintenance, as well as providing support to site staff and district.
He/she is responsible for ensuring network security and connectivity by assisting in installing and testing of network infrastructure and installation.
He/she works with end users and configures equipment, ensuring that network connectivity functions optimally.
The network technician’s duties also involves providing maintenance service, including repair and/or replacement of computer and network hardware, network appliances, software applications, network applications, and/or electronic equipment.
His/her work description also entails documenting work activities and providing written reference by applying email and/or other communication tools in preparing written materials, including system level documentation, memos, reports, letters, and procedures.
The computer network technician is also saddled with the task of ensuring that the IT department operates efficiently by providing assistance and services such as saving files, locating viruses, reimaging work stations, coordinating with other staff of the department, and help desk assistance rotation.
He/she is also expected to recommend new equipment and/or procedures he/she found will be useful for the organization’s use from researching products, equipment, trends, etc.
The technician will also respond to inquiries from various sources, including site personnel, administrators, staff, service providers, and outside vendors in providing technical support and assistance.
He/she will also serve as a technical resource to the department, district staff, or company management and will be responsible for providing information concerning planned or active projects.
Computer network technicians help ensure efficient system usage for all network users, and also support users on Library Management System, Lexia, SIS, Reniassance Place, and other network curriculum applications.
Computer Network Technician Job Description Example/Sample/Template
Computer network technicians perform various functions in ensuring effective and efficient functioning of an organization’s work unit.
The duties, tasks, and responsibilities performed by individuals who work as computer network technician may vary from organizations to organizations, taking into consideration the peculiar demands of each organization, however, network technicians are generally to ensure that an organization’s IT infrastructure and systems are always in good working condition.
Below is an example of a computer network technician job description for individuals working at a City’s IT department:
- Provide assistance on maintenance of equipment and systems
- Perform repairs on a variety of hardware components on network systems, including PCs, PC peripheral devices, PC printers, terminals, remote printers, terminal printers, associated software, communications equipment, modems, and cables
- Perform installation, configuration, documentation, and distribution of equipment and software to users as required
- Ensure records are properly maintained, including performing current and total inventory of all computer analysis carried out on software
- Provide support to network administrator in maintaining City’s network systems
- Provide quality training to users on software and equipment
- Provide support in maintaining an inventory of software and hardware
- Apply tools like SQL, Query, ODBC, and MS Access in developing advanced data-access applications
- Perform any other duties that may be assigned.
Requirements – Abilities, Skills, Knowledge – for Computer Network Technician Role
To work and succeed as a computer network technician, you will need to develop certain valuable skills qualities, and expertise, which most employers also require from applicants when hiring for the role.
Highlighted below are major requirements most employers will want applicants for the computer network technician job to possess to be hired:
- Solid intermediate knowledge of operations of personal computers, network testing/diagnostic techniques, terminals, modems, and printers
- Strong ability to write report and perform system documentation
- Strong customer skills
- Strong ability to effectively interact with employees and the public
- Strong ability to effectively troubleshoot and configure peripheral equipment and PCs
- Strong ability to optimize and install personal computer software
- Ability to produce concise and comprehensive reports
- Strong ability to quickly analyze user problems and systems, find alternative best solutions and resolve whatever issues
- Ability to guide non-technical users on the proper practices and procedures to maintain
- Strong physical ability to move or lift computers and other equipment weighing more than 50 pounds.
If you are an employer needing a computer network technician job description for use in creating one for your organization, you can apply the sample description provided in this post together with the exhaustive information about the duties and responsibilities of the role.
With a great computer network technician description, you can increase your chances of attracting the right kind of candidates that you desire if you are hiring for the position.
Also, if you are looking to begin a career as a computer network technician, you can use information in this post to learn about what they do.
Did you find this article helpful in learning about what computer network technicians do? Please, leave a comment of what you think about this post in the comment box below. Do also share your job description if you work as a technician handling computer networks in your company.