This post provides detailed information on the computer network support technician job description, including the key duties, tasks, and responsibilities they commonly perform.
It also highlights the major requirements you may be expected to fulfill to be hired for the computer network support technician role.
What Does a Computer Network Support Technician Do?
A computer network support technician is responsible for providing assistance in designing, configuring, and installing workstation and network systems, servers, and devices, as well as maintaining and repairing them.
The computer network support technician job description entails ensuring co-workers have access to data analysis and technology tools that can improve their job performance.
It also involves providing information, assistance, and/or suggestions concerning desktop configuration and installation, as well as network access connectivity.
It is the duty of the network support technician to see to it that all support requests are resolved to the satisfaction of customers in good time, and to ensure the delivery of excellent service continuously .
His/her role entails diagnosing and analyzing network and end-user software and hardware problems and accurately resolving the issues in a timely manner. And when necessary, he/she will provide training to end-users.
He/she is expected to take total responsibility whenever a customer makes a complaint to restore their service as quickly as possible by immediately carrying out analysis on the problem, understanding it, and implementing the right solution to the issue whether it is a temporary or permanent problem.
Where the problem is beyond the network support technician’s expertise, he/she will escalate the issue to other support teams for resolution.
He/she is also responsible for providing technical support to both remote and local employees.
The computer network support technician work description involves performing user analysis, troubleshooting, and following up on problems until they are satisfactorily resolved.
It also entails applying the Helpdesk system to correctly record, document, and update customer requests.
It is also part of his/her duties to make sure that all work practices, procedures, and systems adhered to established security and quality control standards.
He/she is expected to always ensure that the integrity of the network and security is maintained, including protection against malware, password access, remote access, intruder access, and file access.
Computer Network Support Technician Job Description Example/Sample/Template
Network support technicians perform various functions in providing effective support to customers or/and colleagues when they have network related machine problems.
Their job description may differ from company to company since the specific duties, tasks, and responsibilities they carry out for a company will depend on the kind of product or services offered by the company.
Here is an example of a network support technician job description at a company that offers remote services:
- Provide support to company staff and customers (end-users) remotely or at their locations concerning the installation of company’s remote services
- Apply discretion and independent judgment in resolving problems of customers/company
- Ensure that hardware nodes used for machine communications to the cloud are correctly configured; also provide hardware and software support
- Carry out review and evaluation of problems between machines and host network at customer locations and resolve them effectively
- Perform revision, evaluation, and documentation of problems encountered by end-users with remote services application
- Perform revision and evaluation of newly created software, as well as test it for bugs following the direction of the manager
- Carry out evaluation and diagnosis of customers’ issues applying independent judgement and discretion, and provide the necessary responses and solutions as quickly as possible. Involve other teams to resolve customers’ problems when necessary
- Provide relevant training to company staff and customers on basic networking practices through formal classroom setting or at customers’ locations
- Ensure call logs and resolutions are maintained in power help software
- Apply various advanced tools in providing effective support for remote services product.
Requirements – Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities – for Network Support Technician Role
When hiring for the position of computer network support technician, most employers will need interested applicants to satisfy certain requirements to be employed.
Shown below are typical network support technician requirements, including skills, abilities, educational qualification, and experience that job seekers are expected to have to be considered for the role:
- Possess Associate’s degree in Computer Science or its equivalent qualification
- Possess three years or more experience working in information technology environment
- Possess Network + Certification or equivalent knowledge/experience
- Strong ability to work without direct supervision, applying independent judgment in analyzing and resolving customers’ problems
- Proven ability to be effective working in a team
- Strong knowledge and understanding of basic networking concepts, including IP Addressing/subnetting/protocols, and the ability to training company staff and customers on how to use such techniques effectively
- Strong knowledge of troubleshooting techniques and windows networking, including TCP/UDP, DNS, DHCP, FTP, SSL, IP, HTTP, MQTT, SSH
- Profound Windows operating systems knowledge
- Strong ability to prioritize tasks in line with production and departmental objectives
- Exceptional ability to diagnose and resolve various problems independently and perform modification when necessary
- Strong communication skills to effectively pass strategies, ideas, problems, and solutions to customers and co-workers in writing and verbal
- Ability to organize and write service reports, as well as other relevant supportive documentation
- Willingness and ability to travel to various customer sites when necessary to fix their issues
- Strong ability to generate effective strategies and solutions to fixing customers’ problems.
If you are an employer or HR manager, the job description sample and information provided in this post will be useful to you in creating effective description for the computer network support technician position to enable you attract the best candidates when hiring.
Job seekers looking to become a network support technician will also find this post helpful in learning about the career – the duties and responsibilities to expect to perform if hired.