Cloud Security Engineer Job Description, Key Duties and Responsibilities
This post provides detailed information of the job description of a cloud security engineer to help you learn about what they do.
It highlights the key duties, tasks, and responsibilities that commonly make up the cloud security engineer work description in most organizations.
This post also gives the major requirements you may be expected to meet by recruiters to be hired for the cloud security engineer role in most organizations.
Please, continue reading to increase your interest of the cloud security engineer career:
What Does a Cloud Security Engineer Do?
Cloud security engineers specialize in providing security systems and tools management related to the cloud technologies and playing a vital role in protecting an organization’s data.
Their job description entails investigating and analyzing existing cloud structures and creating new and enhanced security methods that will enhance the security of cloud-based environments.
They are in charge of managing and executing technologies and processes that affect assigned global Information Protection capability, such as issue identification and resolution, documentation, integration with other tools, gap resolution, gap assessment, and continuous improvement of the capability.
They are responsible for keeping the infrastructure current, making recommendations, and participating in the implementation and continuous improvement of technologies and services in assigned information security domains.
They also provide guidance on security strategies, processes, response and technologies to security operations and other teams.
They provide support on Incident Response on security incidents and participate in the development of business cases and presentations on information security technologies of interest to the company.
They also counsel project teams, application owners, and other Information Security teams on information security controls.
The cloud security engineer work description also includes responsibilities for the analysis, design, development, and operation of programs, shell scripts, tests, and infrastructure automation capabilities in an advanced security context.
It also involves collaborating cross-functionally with analysts, engineers, and data scientists to achieve continuous improvement in cyber defense/resilience.
Cloud Security Engineer Job Description Example/Sample/Template
The cloud security engineer performs various functions, including being responsible for the overall implementation of security cloud architecture in an organization.
They also help to improve and develop new designs and security strategies across all types of cloud-based applications (including infrastructure, platform, and software as a service.)
The core tasks, duties, and responsibilities of the cloud security engineer are listed in the job description example below:
- Responsible for the thorough documentations of implementations, via technical documentation and run-books
- Responsible for input and feedback on security architectures
- Apply adept understanding and experience with systems automation platforms and technologies
- Partake in efforts that shape the organization’s security policies and standards for use in cloud environments
- Interpret security and technical requirements into business requirements and communicate security risks to relevant stakeholders ranging from business leaders to engineers
- Direct and influence multi-disciplinary teams in implementing and operating Cyber Security controls
- Collaborate with application developers and database administrators to deliver creative solutions to difficult technology challenges and business requirements
- Provide subject matter expertise on information security architecture and systems engineering to other IT and business teams
- Execute security architectures for cloud cloud/hybrid systems
- Responsible for automating security controls, data and processes to provide improved metrics and operational support
- Employ cloud-based APIs when suitable to write network/system level tools for safeguarding cloud environments
- Stay abreast of emerging security threats, vulnerabilities and controls
- Spot and execute new security technologies and best practices into the company’s Cloud offerings.
Cloud Security Engineer Job Description for Resume
If you have worked before as a cloud security engineer or are presently working in that role and are making a resume for a new job, you will need to include the professional experience section in your resume.
In the professional or work experience part of your resume, you will show the duties and responsibilities that you have successfully performed as a cloud security engineer.
This will help the recruiter to see that you have the required cloud security engineer work experience for the position that you are seeking.
You can easily and quickly make a great professional experience section for your resume by applying the duties of a cloud security engineer in the job description sample above.
Cloud Security Engineer Requirements – Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities for Career Success
If you are seeking the job of a cloud security engineer, recruiters will want you to possess certain qualities, abilities, experience, and knowledge to prove that you will be able to succeed in achieving the obligations, purpose, and objectives of the role.
Shown below are major requirements that most recruiters commonly set for applicants for the cloud security engineer role to meet to be hired:
- Education: Employers seek individuals with a minimum of Bachelor’s degree in Information Systems or Computer Science, but a High school diploma / GED with extensive Information Systems or Computer Science experience is also accepted
- Strong familiarity with Linux and Windows operating systems and cloud provider ecosystems like Amazon AWS
- Practical knowledge of AWS foundation services related to compute, network, storage, content delivery, administration and security, deployment and management, automation technologies
- Robust micro services programming (AWS Lambda, Docker, etc.)
- Extensive experience architecting, designing, and programming applications and ample experience in high level programming languages such as C++, C#, Java, Python, Visual Basic
- Capability architecting highly available systems that utilize load balancing, horizontal scalability and high availability
- DevOps know-how building and deploying infrastructure with cloud deployment, build and test automation technologies like ansible, chef, puppet, docker, jenkins, etc.
- Familiarity using AWS Cloud Services (EC2, DynamoDB, API Gateway, RDS, Lambda, CloudFront, CloudFormation, CloudWatch, Route 53, etc.)
- Understanding of complex enterprise environments and current technology areas like cloud and mobility
- Certification: It is important that applicants for the cloud security engineer position have CISSP or equivalent security-related industry certifications and AWS Associate or higher Certification
- Communication skills: In executing their duties, cloud security engineers must communicate with various audiences, including business leaders, engineers, clients, and team members. It is important that they have great verbal communication skills to convey information to the relevant audience. They also require exceptional written communication skills, documentation and reporting
- Teamwork abilities: The Cloud Security Engineer is expected to work with various multi-disciplinary teams, so it is vital that they are team-oriented individuals with priority on the successful completion of group goals
- Excellent analytical and troubleshooting skills: It is also essential that applicants have the necessary technical skills to constantly monitor systems to identify threats and vulnerability, execute security architecture, and ensure there are no external threats.
If you are a recruiter or HR manager needing to hire for the cloud security engineer position, you will need to make and publish a detailed description of the role to be able to attract the best people for the role to your organization.
You can create the perfect description of the cloud security engineer role for your company by adapting the duties and responsibilities shared in the sample job description above.
Also, if you are an individual interested in the cloud security engineering career, you will find this post helpful in learning and increasing your knowledge of what the role does.
Job Assessment Tests: How to Top Your Competition
As part of the hiring process, most applicants that passed the initial Resume/CV screening phase are required to pass an assessment test for the job or apprenticeship position they are applying for.
The goal of this phase is to determine if the candidate has the appropriate set of skills and qualities to excel on the job.
Find out the tests you will be needing to take for the position you are applying for; get lots of success proven Practice materials to prepare with now: Sure way to make high scores in job tests.