This post provides exhaustive information on the job description of a Cisco network engineer, to increase your knowledge of the work they do.
It highlights the key duties, tasks, and responsibilities that typically defines the Cisco network engineer work description.
It also presents the major requirements you may be expected to meet to be hired for the Cisco network engineer role.
Please, read on:
What Does a Cisco Network Engineer Do?
The Cisco network engineer is responsible for designing, implementing, and maintaining; troubleshooting and documenting networks that support business applications. This includes both internal and external networks.
A Cisco network engineer works with a variety of networking technologies, including IP routing, switching, and wireless access points; firewalls, VPNs, and voice over IP (VoIP).
These technologies must be used effectively to meet the needs of the organization.
The engineer ensures that all new products are installed properly, configured correctly, and tested before being put into production.
They also ensure that any changes made to the existing system have been thoroughly tested.
A Cisco network engineer makes decisions regarding security issues such as: how to protect data, which systems should use encryption, and whether or not to implement other types of security measures.
The Cisco network engineer performs some maintenance on equipment. For example, they might need to replace an old router because it has stopped working, or install software patches to fix problems with routers and switches.
The engineer provides technical assistance to users who are having trouble using their equipment.
The Cisco network engineer job description involves providing training to employees so that they can operate the company’s networking infrastructure.
It also entails documenting the operation of the company’s network by writing reports and creating diagrams.
The engineer may occasionally take part in the design of new technology.
They provide information to management about the state of the company’s network and keep up-to-date with recent developments in networking technology.
The network engineer’s duties also include helping to plan upgrades to the company’s network.
The engineer works closely with other people within the company, such as IT managers, salespeople, marketing staff, and customer service representatives.
The Cisco network engineer communicates with customers and suppliers about the company’s network and keeps track of the status of projects and makes sure that deadlines are met.
The engineer supervises others who are performing tasks related to the company’s network operations and oversees the company’s budget, and makes suggestions about ways to save money.
The network engineer at Cisco performs other administrative tasks as needed.
They write specifications for new products and maintain records of the company’s finances, and prepare financial statements.
They monitor the performance of the company’s network, identify potential problems, and develop and test new hardware and software.
The Cisco network engineer is also responsible for maintaining the integrity of the company’s network operations and its data.
They manage the day-to-day activities of the company’s network engineers, plan future improvements to the company’s network, and determine what needs to be done.
The engineer evaluates the effectiveness of the company’s network policies and procedures and recommends ways to improve the efficiency of the company’s network resources.
Cisco Network Engineer Job Description Sample/ Example/Template
The Cisco network engineer job description consists of the following tasks, duties, and responsibilities:
- Provide technical assistance to users who are experiencing issues with their equipment
- Write reports and draw diagrams to document the operation of the company’s network
- Teach employees how to use the company’s networking infrastructure
- Create innovative technologies for usage in the company’s networks
- Keep abreast on current networking technology advances
- Inform customers and suppliers about the company’s network
- Assist with the planning of Network improvements for the firm
- In charge of supervising people who are working on the company’s project
- Oversee the company’s budget and give cost-cutting recommendations
- Create product specs for new items
- Maintain financial records for the organization and create financial statements
- Monitor the network’s performance and discover any faults
- Create and put new gear and software to the test
- Oversee the day-to-day operations of the company’s network engineers
- Examine the efficacy of the company’s network policies and processes
- Make suggestions on methods to increase the efficiency of the company’s network resources
- Plan future Network enhancements for the firm and evaluate what needs to be done.
Cisco Network Engineer Job Description for Resume
If you have worked before or are presently working as a Cisco network engineer and are making a new resume or CV, you can apply the Cisco network engineer job description sample in making your resume’s Professional Experience section.
You can highlight the duties and responsibilities that you performed working in the Cisco network engineering role as your professional experience to show that you have been successful on the job.
This piece of information can boost the effectiveness of your resume/CV to win you the much desired interview with the recruiter/employer, especially if the new position that you are seeking requires having some Cisco network engineer work experience.
Cisco Network Engineer Requirements: Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities for Career Success
If you are seeking to work as a Cisco network engineer, here are major requirements you may be expected to meet to be hired:
- Must be a graduate from an accredited college or university with a Bachelor’s degree in computer science, engineering, mathematics, information systems, or business administration, or in a similar field
- Must have worked in the IT industry for at least two years
- Knowledge of operating system concepts and design principles
- Must possess strong written communication skills
- Strong problem solving skills
- A team player with also the ability to effectively work alone
- Strong knowledge and ability to use Microsoft Office applications, including PowerPoint, Excel, Word, and Outlook
- Knowledge of TCP/IP protocols and related topics
- Ability to understand and apply basic programming languages like C++, Java, HTML, XML etc.
- Familiarity with internet security standards and practices
- Good understanding of network hardware and software
- Good knowledge of LAN and WAN technologies including IP addressing, routing, switching, VLANs, VPNs, MPLS etc.
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Proven verbal and written communication skills
- Must be capable of showing initiative and self-motivation.
Cisco Network Engineer Salary
The average Cisco systems network engineer pay is $128,669 per year, according to Glassdoor. This however varies from $23,458 to $199,439 per year.
This post is helpful to individuals interested in the Cisco network engineering career who want to learn what they do.
It is also valuable to recruiters/employers needing to hire for the vacant network engineering position in their companies.
They can apply the Cisco network engineer job description example provided on this page in making a detailed description of the position for use in the hiring process.