This post provides detailed information on the assistant project manager job description, including the key duties, tasks, and responsibilities they commonly perform.
It also highlights the major requirements you may be expected to fulfill to be hired for the assistant project manager role by most recruiters/employers.
What Does an Assistant Project Manager Do?
Assistant project managers handle small projects assigned by a project manager.
Their job description entails a range of administrative and management tasks to assist the project manager or project director of an organization.
In performing their duties, assistant project managers provide clerical support to project managers.
They follow up on clients, take minutes during project meetings, and may analyze statistical data as required.
They also fill in for managers when they are on vacation.
Assistant project managers usually perform tasks which are salient to smooth project operations.
Their role involves preparing project performance reports, weekly progression updates, and ranking reports.
They also manage and maintain good relationships with company clientele.
As part of their responsibilities, assistant managers on project deliver presentations to team members on social media marketing tools and strategies.
They monitor inventory levels to determine the need for stock replenishment and resource procurement.
Their work description also entails maintaining accurate records of project management operations, schedules, and expenditure.
Assistant project managers often collect, develop, and analyze data useful in setting team objectives/targets.
They collaborate with managers to develop and implement action plans essential to proper time, money, and process management.
They also draw the attention of managers to limitations which may hamper the progress of a project.
In fulfilling their role, assistant managers document established project goals and communicate them to the project team.
They design and manage systems which are vital to quality review and control, and also develop and implement programs for continuous project improvement.
As part of their duties, assistant project managers conduct research to investigate elements essential to the progress of a project.
They coordinate and oversee the procurement of material resources required for a project.
Keeping track of project progress by using IT systems to monitor performance is also part of the description of assistant project managers.
To get into this career, you require an Associate’s or Bachelor’s degree in project management.
Some of the qualities you need to succeed as an assistant project manager include administrative, leadership, and multi-tasking skills.
Assistant Project Manager Job Description Example/Template
Assistant project managers perform various functions in support of the manager.
The following is a job description example consisting of major tasks, duties, and responsibilities typically carried out by assistant project managers:
- Participate in the design of project management processes and budget planning
- Assist managers in taking care of the fine details of a large project
- Conduct assessments to identify and seek solutions to project problems in order to reduce downtime
- Assist in resolving conflicts or disputes between the various departments of an organization
- Build and maintain good working relationships with clients to ensure complete customer satisfaction and good prospects for future business
- Coordinate and ensure smooth operation of multiple projects from start to finish
- Maintain contact with clients through phone calls, emails or text messaging
- Monitor inventory levels to determine the need for stock procurement and replacement
- Prepare and present to the manager weekly or monthly reports of project operations
- Collect data, analyze it, and help project managers to set objectives for a project
- Ensure changes in project plan are communicated to team members
- Carry out quality reviews and checks to ensure project operations are in line with industry best practices
- Fill in for project managers by managing daily operations in their absence
- Ensure project team members comply with company methodologies and project principles
- Respect decision-making boundaries and know when to call the attention of the manager.
Requirements – Skills, Abilities, and Knowledge – for Assistant Project Manager Role
To work as an assistant project manager, here are common requirements most employers may ask you to fulfill before calling you up for an interview:
- Education and Training: To become an assistant project manager, you require an Associate’s or Bachelor’s degree in project management or other degree relevant to project field. About a year experience in an administrative position is required for the job. Knowledge of office software such as Microsoft Excel and PowerPoint is also necessary for the assistant project manager job
- Administrative Skill: Assistant project managers must have the skill to handle client calls, document project operations, and to ensure vital information is passed across to team members
- Leadership Skill: They are able to manage daily project operations in the absence of a project manager
- Multitasking Skill: They are able to monitor the progress of multiple projects.
If you are looking to hire someone for the assistant project manager job and need a good description for the role, this post can help you in making one.
You can apply the sample assistant project manager job description given in this post to quickly make a suitable one for your company, one that can get you the best qualified candidates for the job.
Individuals interested in this career will also find this post useful. They are sure to learn all they need to about the duties and responsibilities of an assistant project manager to help them prepare well ahead for the job.