This post presents detailed information on the assistant buyer job description, including the key duties, tasks, and responsibilities they commonly perform.
It also highlights the major requirements that you may need to fulfill to be hired for the assistant buyer role by most recruiters/employers.
What Does an Assistant Buyer Do?
The assistant buyer is responsible for providing order and product information to customers to facilitate their purchase.
Their job is closely tied to the product’s sales team, they are responsible for anticipating and securing buyers’ decisions about what products and services they need, as well as managing their order process.
The assistant buyer job description involves facilitating feature-by-feature sales, which enables the salespeople to service more complex clients with greater efficiency and effectiveness.
It also entails assisting in negotiating the price of products or services needed, and ensuring that pricing agreements are honored by both parties.
Assistant buyers also help the salespeople with customers’ orders, and most importantly they assist the buyers in evaluating products
It is their responsibility to communicated to the company any suggestions or criticism on products, services, and pricing, and other aspects of the product to be offered to the client.
The assistant buyer helps find new ways to promote business’ products or services with emphasis on developing new revenue possibilities.
Presenting good pricing strategies so that the company’s products and services are competitively priced is a part of their duties.
The assistant buyer work description also includes analyzing company’s product and service mix and to prepare the information and materials necessary for salespersons.
It also entails reporting any changes to the sales forecast that may affect product needs or order forecasts, preparing estimates of expected orders from current sales leads, and identifying and prioritizing potential sales leads, and developing detailed forecasts of new business.
Assistant buyers prepare all necessary documentation for potential clients meetings and distill complex presentations into simple points that listeners will remember easily.
It is also their duty to ensure that all materials are accurate and up-to-date.
In addition, the assistant buyer ensures that all legal requirements are met during export activity.
They also play a major role for the company for all international activities.
This includes working with the customer service and legal teams to ensure that all license requirements and other legal issues are met.
Assistant buyers work closely with the export team to make sure that all import documentation is completed, up-to-date, and accurate, and credible.
They are also responsible for monitoring any development at the customs, as they know if there is a possibility of additional duties being levied on products entering their country of origin.
Assistant Buyer Job Description Sample/Example/Template
The assistant buyer job description consists of the following duties, tasks, and responsibilities:
- Provide consultation on an as needed basis to a client’s management team or vendor representatives on purchasing issues during an evaluation process
- Keep track of daily activities
- Assist in developing advertising campaigns for their organization
- Assist in driving annual marketing plans and programs that are designed to enhance business’ revenue through client referrals and repeat business
- Oversee the development of project plans
- Assist in preparing collateral materials, such as sales sheets, press releases and other marketing tools to build business awareness of company’s solutions
- Present information in a professional manner, especially when presenting to or negotiating with clients or customers
- Help the sales team to identify and grow their revenue by hiring the right people
- Assist in setting up presentations for clients as well as presenting them on a quarterly/annual basis
- Aid in evaluating new products, services, and technology for the organization
- Assist the managers in assessing demand for new products or acquisition of another vendor’s solution
- Help to develop and execute marketing plans that help increase revenue
- Assist in setting up client meetings, coordinating travel arrangements, and ensuring that the meeting is productive and not wasted time.
Assistant Buyer Job Description for Resume
If you have worked before as an assistant buyer or are presently working in that role and are making a new resume or CV, then you can craft a compelling Professional Experience section for your resume by applying the sample assistant buyer job description provided above.
You can highlight the duties and responsibilities you have performed or are currently carrying out as an assistant buyer in your resume’s Professional Experience by utilizing the assistant buyer job description example above.
This will show to the recruiter/employer that you have been successful working as an assistant buyer, which can greatly enhance your chances of being hired for the assistant buyer role that you are seeking.
Assistant Buyer Job Requirements: Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities for Career Success
Here are important requirements candidates for the assistant buyer position may be expected to meet by most recruiters/employers to be hired:
- Reading, writing, and mathematics skills; good communication skills
- Proficiency in English is a must, however an advanced degree may be advantageous
- Accuracy and attention to detail is a must
- Patient, good problem solving skills, and strong customer service skills
- Willingness to work long hours (at least 8 hours a day)
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
- A Bachelor’s degree in Business, IT, or Marketing, however an advanced degree may be advantageous
- Understanding of the responsibilities and ownership associated with the position
- Working knowledge of the sales cycle, this includes a good understanding of what makes up the S.I.M cycle (needs analysis, identification of solutions, negotiation and closing process)
- Willingness to travel to other cities, countries, and even out of country
- Working knowledge of the role of and a good working knowledge of the organization’s selling processes. This includes a good understanding of the roles and responsibilities involved in selling processes at different levels within an organization, including account management, territory management, team building, and product development
- Computer literate; proficient in MS Office with the ability to install, uninstall and maintain software applications
- Working knowledge of the description of key accountabilities
Assistant Buyer Salary
According to Glassdoor, the average annual salary for an assistant buyer in the United States is $41,553 per year.
The assistant buyer job is in demand due to the growing number of companies that are looking to internationalize their business.
In addition, a higher percentage of companies are looking at entering new markets, therefore creating more jobs for assistant buyers.
This post is helpful to individuals interested in the assistant buyer career. They will be able to learn all they need to know about what assistant buyers do, to decide if that’s the job they want to do.
It is also beneficial to recruiters/employers in making a detailed job description for the assistant buyer role in their organizations, for use in hiring competent people for the position.