The job description of a sales representative entails meeting a target number of sales of a company’s product or service within a period of time.
A sale can be defined as the act of selling a product or service for monetary exchange or other compensation.
The completion of the prospecting stage is also the beginning of a mutual relationship between the customer and vendor, or the extension of such established engagement.
It entails the responsibility of selling merchandise, products and services in a retail setting. Such products may include clothes, shoes, jewelries, electronics, IT services, and furniture.
The seller, who is also called sales representative, or salesperson, is the provider of the goods or services.
He/she will complete a sale in response to a request or to an acquisition.
Ideally, a seller agrees on a price at which he wants to part with ownership of or any claim upon the item, which can be goods or services.
The buyer on the other hand does not execute the sale, for it is the job of the seller. To be precise, the sale is completed when money exchanges hands.
Sales Representative Job Description Example/Sample/Template
Here is an example of a sales representative job description, consisting of duties, tasks, and responsibilities most employers usually assign to employees holding the position.
- Establish new accounts by organizing and planning daily work schedule to build on existing or potential sales outlets
- Study the type of sales outlet and adjust content of sales presentations
- Study potential volume of dealers and focus on sales efforts
- Make and submit orders by referring to product literature and price lists
- Gather current marketplace information on newly introduced products, delivery schedules, pricing, and merchandising techniques in order to monitor competition
- Investigate problems; prepare reports; develop solutions, and make recommendations to management in order to resolve customer complaints
- Attend educational workshops; review publications, and be involved in professional societies
- Provide historical records by keeping records on customer inquiries and sales
- Contribute to team efforts in accomplishing organizational goals.
Sales Representative Requirements – Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities for Career Success
To be hired for the role of a sales rep in many firms, applicants are usually required to possess the following attributes:
- Customer service oriented, with the ability to meet sales goals
- Possess strong ability to prospect, negotiate, and close sales
- Ability to give attention to safety issues
- Ability to maintain a neat and presentable personality
- Strong persistence in dealing with people and not giving up easily
- Possess self-confidence, positive mentality, with the ability to manage territories effectively
- Strong product knowledge, client relation, and presentation skills
- Highly self motivated, with one year of computer service experience
- Reliable, hardworking, enthusiastic, with the ability to perform multiple assignments at the same time
- Effective communication with customers, as well as strong follow-up skills
- Strong technical abilities, with PC and Internet usage experience
- Ability and willing to work on weekend and even on holidays
- Ability to learn the art of professional greeting and attracting passive consumers, as well as show passion to follow-up calls and sales activities
- Physically fit to stand for many hours, and to lift heavy items
- Pre-employment exam: You may be required to take the personality test or other suitable tests by some employers to be sure you have the needed skills to excel as a sales representative. Get more details about Job Assessment Tests and how to pass it.
This post shows the major duties and responsibilities of sales representatives in most firms. This information will help you to learn what they do and to prepare for the career if that is what you are interested in.
Employers too can apply the sample job description provided above in creating a suitable work description for their sales reps.