This post presents exhaustive information on the agile project manager job description, including the key duties, tasks, and responsibilities they commonly perform.
It also highlights major requirements you may be expected to fulfill to be hired for the agile project manager role by most recruiters/employers.
What Does an Agile Project Manager Do?
Agile project managers have the responsibility to supervise and motivate project groups working in an agile environment, to enable them complete assigned tasks within set time, and to deliver top performance.
The agile project manager job description entails combining project management practices with agile development requirements. It also involves team management, planning, customer support, and process management.
Agile project managers may cross multiple business division and are responsible for assigning work and getting the status of the work completed.
This responsibility goes down to the team members because the agile team is a self-organized group of highly skilled professionals who are accountable for the work they are assigned to in a fast paced environment.
The team under this management takes ownership and accountability for meeting the project and team goals.
The role of agile project managers also involves ensuring that requirements are defined; they provide direction for products and services being delivered.
They serve the production owners and the team so that they are better able to do their jobs by assisting them, facilitating creativity and fostering empowerment.
The goal is to allow the team to self-organize and become a mature high performing team.
In a situation the agile development team cannot provide solution to certain issues, such as external factors beyond its immediate control, the project manager will help remove the obstacles and support the team.
They continuously evaluate time, cost and persuade the agile development team to be committed to their schedules, ensure proven processes and quality output which are cost effective.
Their work description also entails increasing the pace of deliveries so as not to run short or out of time.
To work as an agile project manager requires a degree in computer science, information technology, and experience working with different project development modules.
The qualities you need to succeed as an agile project manager include excellent verbal and written communication skills, ability to work with a team, and good leadership skill.
Agile Project Manager Job Description Example/Template
Agile project managers perform various functions in helping their teams complete project assignments in record time.
The typical tasks, duties, and responsibilities performed by agile project managers in most firms are shown in the job description example below:
- Handle various responsibilities such as planning, scheduling, coordinating, and managing all aspect of the project
- Should be comfortable to work with any of the agile modules
- Decide deadlines and budget of the project accordingly
- Interact with company clients and understand their requirements
- Maintain status report of the project and also keep a record of the previous reports
- Compile historical data available with the team and present it for reference of senior officials and the team members on the project
- Present status reports of the project to the senior officials of the organization
- Conduct training sessions for the team members and explain to them using the agile methods
- Maintain the software systems and provide necessary infrastructure such as software and operating system
- Help in the development and implementation of agile projects
- Assist in team development by removing road-blocks to their work, mentoring them and making a good utilization of organizational resources to improve capacity for project work
- Promote empowerment of the team by ensuring that each team member is fully engaged in the project with meaningful contribution
- Encourage a sustainable pace with high levels of quality for the team.
Requirements – Skills, Abilities, and Knowledge – for Agile Project Manager Job
If you are applying for the job of an agile project manager, here are major requirements you may be asked to meet by most employers to qualify for an interview:
- Education and Training: To become an agile project manager, you require a Bachelor’s degree in computer science or information technology. About five years of experience in project management field is also required
- IT Skill: Agile project managers must be able to maintain software systems and provide necessary infrastructure such as operating systems and other database package
- Organizational Skill: They must be able to handle various responsibilities such as the planning, scheduling, and management of all aspects of a project.
If you are looking to hire the best qualified agile project manager for your company, you will need to have a good work description for the role to attract them.
The sample job description provided in this post can help you create a detailed description that covers the duties and responsibilities the successful candidate may be assigned.
This post also provides useful information for people aspiring to become agile project managers; they will learn much about what the career entails and will be able to decide if they could effectively perform the duties of the role.