IT Help Desk Technician Job Description Example
Who is an IT Help Desk Technician?
An Information Technology (IT) help desk technician can be referred to as a person whose job or responsibilities cover the entirety of providing help and/or assistance to customers or clients of a particular company usually over the phone or via the Internet.
IT help desk technicians can be found in virtually every sector or industry, ranging from telecommunication firms to financial institutions to manufacturing industries, etc.
A typical IT technician is grounded in the knowledge of basic customer care and relationship principles.
He/she is meant to have a thorough understanding of the dealings and/or activities of the industry or firm which he/she represents.
This is a necessity so as to enable him/her respond effectively (i.e. be able to help or solve the problems of clients even without being in personal contact with them).
In some cases, he/she may be required to take a customer or client through a particular process in order to achieve desired results.
The job of an Information Technology help desk technician is one that requires a 24-hour presence due to the fact that customers might experience difficulties in making use of the firm/organization’s services (or products as the case may be) at any given time of the day and may decide to lodge complaints immediately.
The round-the-clock nature of the job is basically to ensure quick response and efficient service delivery on the part of the firm that provides the services or products.
This (the round-the-clock nature of the job) makes it necessary for IT help desk technicians to work in shifts. This is due to the fact that no one person can work for the whole day attending to clients.
The technician most times doesn’t work alone; he/she usually works as part of a team of help desk technicians or officers. This is usually necessary due to the fact that a particular technician may encounter difficulties in tackling a client’s problem and would definitely need the assistance of other colleagues (usually more experienced ones) to resolve the problem.
In carrying out his/her duties, it is of utmost importance that the IT technician tries as much as possible to see things from the point of view of the customer.
This is in a bid to have a clear understanding of the challenge the client might be experiencing, and to also devise an effective means of providing a solution to the problem at hand.
On a general note, the IT help desk technician answers client’s questions and offer advice on ways to solve technical problems so as to create value for clients, and also uphold the firm’s reputation at all times.
IT Help Desk Technician Job Description, Duties, Tasks, and Responsibilities
IT help desk technicians carry out a large number of different functions so as to ensure smooth and/or hitch-free service delivery to clients at all times.
The nature of the job (i.e. services they render to clients) may differ from client to client and in some cases it may also be similar (this is usually seen in the case of general service or product problems).
The sample job description below is a clear example of the type of tasks, duties, and responsibilities that IT help desk technicians usually carry out within any given organization or firm:
- Serves as the first port of call or put differently, as the first point of contact for clients that have issues related to the firm’s product or service that they want to rectify
- Talk or walk the customer or client through a process of problem-solving
- Makes sure that every clients’ complaint or inquiry is well-attended to by the appropriate support personnel
- Responsible for providing the best solution to any problem based on the customer’s complaints or questions
- Provides accurate information concerning the product or service being asked of
- Make sure that feedbacks and suggestions from customers get to the appropriate persons within the organization
- Keeps an easily accessible record of events and their solutions in designated logs usually for reference purposes
- Identifies and brings up suggestions with regards to possible improvements in general practices and/or procedures.
Requirements – Skills, Abilities, and Knowledge – for the Role of an IT Help Desk Technician
In a bid to get the best candidate or personnel for the IT help desk technician role, there are certain requirements and qualifications that employers expect applicants to possess, these include:
- Possession of excellent communication skills on all fronts is a must-have attribute
- Must have good interpersonal skills
- Must be able to understand the need to be patient with people
- A good understanding of customer service rules
- Proficiency in the English Language
- Good problem-solving and analytical skills
- Good computer and/or phone handling abilities
- Proven experience in a similar role
- Ability to deliver excellent work performance as part of a team
- A degree in any IT-related field.
The duties and responsibilities of IT help desk technicians shown in this post is useful to both employers and job seekers in various ways.
Employers can apply it to quickly create a comprehensive description for the IT technician role in their organization when recruiting for it.
A good job description can help employers find the right technicians to apply for the position, from which the best can be selected.
Job seekers will be able to learn all about who an IT help desk technician is and the work he/she does. With this knowledge, individuals interested in this career will be able to make informed decision about it.
Is this post helpful in learning about who an IT technician is? Please, leave a comment of your thought about this article in the box below. And if you work as a help desk technician in an IT setting, do also share what you do in your job.
Job Assessment Tests: How to Top Your Competition
As part of the hiring process, most applicants that passed the initial Resume/CV screening phase are required to pass an assessment test for the job or apprenticeship position they are applying for.
The goal of this phase is to determine if the candidate has the appropriate set of skills and qualities to excel on the job.
Find out the tests you will be needing to take for the position you are applying for; get lots of success proven Practice materials to prepare with now: Sure way to make high scores in job tests.