This post provides detailed information on the HVAC service technician job description, including the key duties, tasks, and responsibilities they typically perform.
It also highlights the major requirements that you may be expected to fulfill to be hired for the HVAC service technician role.
What Does a HVAC Service Technician Do?
A HVAC service technician is responsible for operating, maintaining, and repairing heating, ventilation, and air conditioning systems, and performing other related duties.
His/her job description entails both skilled and unskilled duties under general supervision. It involves performing various tasks relating to maintaining and repairing of refrigeration, air conditioning, ventilating, and heating systems in buildings.
It also involves repairing and maintaining air filters, thermostats, bets, bearings, and blower fans.
The heating, ventilation, and air conditioning (HVAC) technician’s role also entails identifying, diagnosing, troubleshooting, analyzing, and repairing of various types of HVAC equipment.
He/she also performs preventive maintenance duties and carries out proactive repair works when necessary.
The technician may serve as a direct contact of his/her company to customers, which places him/her in the best position to provide sales leads to the sales coordinator to work on.
The HVAC technician work description also involves responsibility for determining the parts of equipment to order to fix faulty equipment, and make sure they are ordered on time to be able to make repairs quickly.
It also involves completing paperwork for each job done, including stating job status, duration, and daily time.
To succeed in this career, the technician must be knowledgeable of safety precautions and adhere to safety guidelines.
He/she must be able to work cordially with other people in a high volume and fast-paced environment, and should have a good customer service attitude.
The service technician commonly works with coordinators, customers, and project managers and is able to interpret engineering drawings concerning layout, operation, and location of the system(s).
He/she must be able to work in a team-based setting, sharing workload and information with other members of the team to ensure customers are satisfied with the service they render.
HVAC Service Technician Job Description Example/Sample/Template
HVAC service technicians perform various functions in ensuring the prompt repair and maintenance of heating, air conditioning, and ventilating systems for an organization or its customers.
If you are looking for the kind of duties, tasks, and responsibilities commonly performed by HVAC technicians, the following job description example highlights them:
- Carry out mechanical and electrical inspection and maintenance on equipment to bring them to optimal performance
- Perform oiling, belt adjustment, cleaning of equipment, greasing, and other specific preventive maintenance work
- Determine service requirements by applying technical skills and experience, including system operations and preventive maintenance experience
- Serve as a company representative to other contractors, owners, and trades
- Give preventive maintenance inspections performed to representative/owner and suggest corrective actions to be applied
- Give advice on additional services to customers that may be beneficial to them
- Complete and submit needed paperwork in a timely manner to the service coordinator
- Perform other functions that may be assigned by the service coordinator or manager.
Requirements – Skills, Abilities, and Knowledge – for HVAC Service Technician Role
To succeed as a HVAC service technician, you will need to have certain skills and qualities, which are also usually required by employers for qualifying candidates for the role.
Below are common requirements most employers may expect you to have to be able to access the HVAC technician job:
- Possess great mechanical aptitude
- Strong ability to read and understand technical instructions and follow blueprints
- Strong communication skills
- Three years experience at a journey-level maintaining, repairing, and operating HVAC equipment in addition to experience maintaining, operating, and repairing air conditioning and ventilating equipment
- Possession of valid driver’s license
- Strong knowledge of equipment, tools, and methods commonly applied in repairing air conditioning and heating equipment in commercial and residential buildings
- Strong knowledge of principles of operation of air conditioning and heating systems, and safety practices concerning HVAC work
- Strong ability to diagnose equipment and determine if a repair and maintenance work is needed or not; and ability to keep records of work done, etc.
- Excellent ability to explain technical information to clients in a way they will understand
- Strong ability to perform assigned tasks independently
- Strong knowledge of computers and the ability to apply the necessary software tools for HVAC duties.
If you are an employer looking to hire for the position of HVAC service technician, you will find this post and the sample job description useful in producing a detailed and effective description of the position in your organization.
By creating and publishing a comprehensive HVAC technician work description will enable interested individuals for the role to know if they qualified for it or not and you will be able to get the candidates you desire.
This post is also helpful to individuals interested in the HVAC services career; they will be able to learn about what HVAC service technicians do and prepare themselves for the job.