This post presents detailed information about the job description of a treasury accountant, to help you learn the duties, tasks, and responsibilities that define what they do.
What Does a Treasury Accountant Do?
A treasury accountant is one who monitors the cash flow of a company on a daily basis, making periodic analysis, by the use of certain investment skills and business acumen.
The job description of a treasury accountant entails controlling all banking and operating systems and also managing the money transmission systems.
It is the role of the accountant to undertake all treasury operations and responsibilities under the supervision of the cash supervisor and analyst.
A good part of the accountant’s job is to review bills on a constant bases and assess the various payment activities and methods; maintaining a day to day control over treasury transactions and authorization of bank payments.
He/she will partner with the company’s auditors (both internal and external) to ensure that all transactions having to do with treasury is recorded correctly and in accordance with laid down standards.
He/she should expect to perform special projects and requests from time to time as the management deems fit.
Where and when necessary, he/she will instruct staff on how and when to take certain measure that will be beneficial to the company.
Treasury Accountant Job Description Example/Sample/Template
Shown below is an example of the treasury accountant job description, consisting of important tasks and responsibilities holders of the position usually carry out in many companies.
- Ensure the coordination of the statutory audit, year in year out, and resolve all possible queries
- Ensure the efficient management of company’s bank accounts
- Maintain and manage all financial records, logs, spreadsheets, and registers
- Ensure the company’s banking operations; seeing to it that all funds are appropriately banked ensuring efficiency and returns
- Ensure conformity of company’ bank account with IFR Standards. Reconciling of bank statements against the GL, and clearing accounts assigned
- Provide inputs and advice to company. This could include recommending changes that will maximize revenue and profit
- Ensure tax regulations are in compliance with established standards
- Ensure the robust and efficient tax planning and filing with the relevant bodies
- See to it that the financial position of the company is well calculated daily
- Check and verify cash transactions; and also investigate and propose possible resolution for any discrepancies
- Responsible for interest and debt analysis, with provision of relevant information and report
- Take care of the cash management system of the company and their payment mechanism
- Responsible for following up on financial proceedings, and ensuring tasks are completed on schedule.
Treasury Accountant Job Description for Resume
A resume can be prepared for the treasury accountant position with information contained in the sample job description provided above.
The job history section of the resume can be prepared using this information.
Treasury Accountant Requirements – Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities for Career Success
Listed below are basic skills and knowledge that most employers will require from someone who is vying for the job of a treasury accountant.
Note that these may not be the only attributes you may be asked to have, as different companies have certain skills that are peculiar and special to them that they may want candidates seeking employment with them to possess.
- BSc. in Accounting, or in any relevant field
- At least one year of experience in cash management will be an added advantage
- Proficiency in communicating with the management and staff of the company
- Ability to assign duties and to management a team effectively
- Self motivated individual with effective organizational skills
- Ability to undertake multiple tasks at the same time without losing focus
- Must be proactive, with the ability to meet and surpass project deadlines
- Computer knowledge – a good knowledge of Microsoft Word and Spreadsheet
- Possess exceptional analytical reasoning skills to think problems thoroughly and generate solutions.